IGNORED

Good arcade games that were not popular

Red 5

• 2 weeks later...

No love for Black Tiger? Multi-directional platforming, hidden treasures, collecting money to buy weapons upgrades, armor and power-ups, boss fights and an actual ending with credits...all in an '80s coin-op game? WOW. And searching for it online many years later was what first led me to MAME. :D

Honorable mentions for:

Bank Panic

Roc n Rope

City Connection

Speed Rumbler

Boogie Wings

I liked "Pistol Daimyo no Bouken." It's a hard side-scrolling shooter where you play

a Japanese lord with a gun mounted on his head. Very silly but tough and fun.

Splatterhouse isn't obscure now, but at the time I saw it in arcades it was hard to

come by and no one else seemed to play it.

Some others...

Viper Phase 1

Bonze Adventure

Tiger Road

Blood Brothers

Pandora's Palace

Super Don Quixote

19XX

Pulstar

Hippodrome

Forgotten Worlds

Sky Soldiers

Snow Brothers

In the Hunt

Pitfall II (Arcade)

Rabbit Punch

SD Gundam Psycho Salamander

Toki

X Multiply

Some of these aren't that obscure. Even good, mainstream arcade games could be

hard to find way back when. I guess the internet/emulation make it easier to find classic

arcade games now that in the "golden age." I miss real cabinets though.

Bubbles

Sega's CrackDown (Genesis vers. exists)

Vindicators

Popeye (was it unpopular?)

Xybots

Wack-O

& call me ignorant, there was a Pitfall II arcade game? :?

EDIT: found it on Cinemarcade. Wow, I never knew...cool link.

Edited by RJ

Okay, I skimmed through quickly so I might have missed some of these being mentioned already. Not to mention they might have been more popular than what I thought but the machines at least in my area were hard to find at the time.

Crazy Climber (Still love this one to this day)

Satan's Hollow

Wacko

Venture

Elevator Action

S.T.U.N. Runner - A hugely underrated game. The motorcycle-feel of the controls was perfect, and the feeling of sheer speed went unreplicated for a very long time. In fact, I'd be hard pressed to name a modern game that got the speed element down so perfectly. Excite Truck would probably be the closest one I can think of.

Sky Soldiers - Incredible shoot'em up that transported you to different periods in history that have been subtlety altered to be more technologically advanced by forces unknown. The ability to override your destination (which, as I recall required a bit of luck) combined with the immense bosses made this game a real gem among shmups.

Favorite arcade game I liked was "Space Zap". Four buttons, four cannons, aliens come at you from four directons. Fun to slap those buttons as the aliens appeared.

And how about "Red Baron"? :D

i remember space zap. i was on my way to disney world back in 1982 and had seen it at a restaurant in florida. that was the one and only time i had ever seen that game. wow. brings back memories

Cloak & Dagger and Beastie Feastie are two of my forgotten favorites.

[/quothere was an arcade joint in madison, ohio that had that game. i beleive it was in 1984 and in the movie "cloak and dagger", that arcade game was actually in the movie starring henry thomas and dabney coleman. " this is captain jack flack"!

Bubbles

Sega's CrackDown (Genesis vers. exists)

Vindicators

Popeye (was it unpopular?)

Xybots

Wack-O

& call me ignorant, there was a Pitfall II arcade game? :?

EDIT: found it on Cinemarcade. Wow, I never knew...cool link.

one of my favorite arcade games because i could break a million every time once i got a lot of practice with it. knew every pattern, every board stage. had no problem getting into the all-time high score ranks. of course you could only enter your three initials five times so you had to mix it up between your first name, last name, your middle initial....great game from williams. first saw popeye at fort wilderness which is a park at disney world. first saw it back in 1983. i have never seen it anywhere else. xybots is a game that myself and a friend used to play as co-op. love it

• 2 months later...

I dont think Isaw this one mentioned.....but...

I have an old Laser Base I've almost finished restoring. Raster trac-ball...kind of like Missile Command with UFO's

and supposedly rare. It's no Missile Command but it's not bad a game.

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=8381

According to klov and VAPS....Im the only know owner of one, though there has to be a few others out there.

Edited by Gorf

there was an arcade joint in madison, ohio that had that game. i beleive it was in 1984 and in the movie "cloak and dagger", that arcade game was actually in the movie starring henry thomas and dabney coleman. " this is captain jack flack"!

I ended up with the actual game used as a prop in that movie. I got it from the programmer, who autographed the control panel for me. It's serial number 1.

Also, Snacks 'n Jaxson is a great unknown game. More that I think would qualify: Mad Planets, I, Robot, Assault, Mutant Night, Road Runner, Space Dungeon, Strike Force, Timber and Zwackery.

Hunchback was a great game ;)

Aaaugh!!

Edited by djpubba

• 1 month later...