IGNORED

Good arcade games that were not popular

Red 5

I used to love Juno First. It plays like a cross between Defender and Gyruss.

I don't think it was particularly popular in the arcades and I'm not aware of any home ports.

I know Empire Strikes Back didn't see that much distribution since it was an upgrade kit during the post-crash dead-zone era, but that was a fun game.

Some game where you have to save the falling eggs (the name eludes me at the moment)

That would be "Chicken Shift".... Love the game

... and Cameltry, I agree, is a truly overlooked gem. You should try playing it on a real spinner- it rocks!

A couple more that most people haven't played that I find truly enjoyable:

Ribbit!

New Zealand Story (bizzare)

Toobin

Timber (brother to Tapper)

Trog

Attax

904933[/snapback]

Newzealand story was an excellent game very underated here in australia i used to play it every afternoon at the local cafe after school

I used to love Juno First.  It plays like a cross between Defender and Gyruss.

I don't think it was particularly popular in the arcades and I'm not aware of any home ports.

913905[/snapback]

It was ported to the C64 at least. The end-of-level music was pretty cool. Although I've not played Beamrider, the pictures make that look like a Juno First clone.

Warp-Warp, by Rock-ola.

Very obscure, not hugely fun, but so weird I still fire it up in MAME now and then. The 2600 could probably do a decent job of it.

913937[/snapback]

I remember that. I was never clear whether "Warp warp" was the title of the game or just the label on the "warp" zone.

BTW, two other games I was wondering about: (1) "ZIG ZAG"--seemed like a Dig Dug ripoff. Never had any quarters back in the day to try it, though; (2) some game whose title I forget where one dug around underground and had to get some sort of treasure or something; the thing I remember from the game though is that you needed to clear a level before a "ZONKER" finished blasting through a mountain.

BTW, two other games I was wondering about: (1) "ZIG ZAG"--seemed like a Dig Dug ripoff.  Never had any quarters back in the day to try it, though; (2) some game whose title I forget where one dug around underground and had to get some sort of treasure or something; the thing I remember from the game though is that you needed to clear a level before a "ZONKER" finished blasting through a mountain.

916513[/snapback]

I think there were two Zig Zags, one was a bootleg of Dig Dug and the other looked kind of like Dig Dug.

Zig Zag is a bootleg of Dig Dug.. However I actually enjoyed Zig Zag a little more than Dig Dug back in the day because it had the pickaxe which allowed you to move faster :) But then again, Dig Dug had better animation :P

Warp Warp used to be at a local mom & pop store near my house. I used to think it had great graphics because they were so big and cartoony for the time. Boy.. has that game not aged well :ponder: :lol:

Warp Warp used to be at a local mom & pop store near my house. I used to think it had great graphics because they were so big and cartoony for the time. Boy.. has that game not aged well  :ponder: :lol:

917159[/snapback]

Funny how that works. I just googled for the other game and found out it's called "The Pit". Anyone remember that? I recall thinking it looked sorta VIC-20ish in a way (I had a VIC-20 at the time) though the screen was (looking at it now) probably a little too big for a VIC-20 to handle, at least in NTSC (probably would need about 224 lines displayable).

Yeah, I can't get enough Majoy Havoc or I-Robot for that matter.

Forgot about that one.

I-Robot is very addicting.

I second that. I play that on MAME almost every other day. Also, on my list:

Saturday Night Slam Masters

WWF Wrestlefest

Pipe Dream

Boulder Dash

Rally X

Bosconian

Mappy

and one you probably never heard of but it's on Namco Museum Volume 2, Dragon Buster.

I've never sat down and actually played all the way through I-Robot.

Can you?

I forget if you can continue or not.

I may have to fire it up tonight and see just how far I can get.

By the way, the idea of using a huge Trak-ball as a mouse for MAME... well...

god I'm stupid. Why the hell didn't I think of that ! Brilliant !

Funny how that works.  I just googled for the other game and found out it's called "The Pit".  Anyone remember that?  I recall thinking it looked sorta VIC-20ish in a way (I had a VIC-20 at the time) though the screen was (looking at it now) probably a little too big for a VIC-20 to handle, at least in NTSC (probably would need about 224 lines displayable).

917326[/snapback]

Oh Yeah.

The U-Totem store on the way to school used to have it. Would dump my lunch money into it and the other one they had "Crush Roller" I think.

"The Pit" was pretty easy except the last part where you had to cross the actual pit with that jumping monster in it to get back to your ship. That floor slid out fast and you had to time the move up to escape almost perfectly -- quite frustrating.

Edited by Prodos8

I definately second Juno First (I love that begin-of-level sound)

Quantum (Very nice trackball vector from General Computer for Atari)

919602[/snapback]

Wow, that 's the first mention from anyone else I've seen with any kind words regarding Quantum. Indeed, another great cult classic.

Was Juno First an actual Gottlieb game, or was it licensed from Konami?

The Gottlieb games had great sounds thanks to David Theil.

I definately second Juno First (I love that begin-of-level sound)

Quantum (Very nice trackball vector from General Computer for Atari)

919602[/snapback]

Wow, that 's the first mention from anyone else I've seen with any kind words regarding Quantum. Indeed, another great cult classic.

Even more than that.. Quantum is like Quadrun for the arcade collector crowd.

Super rare = Highly desirable cab that goes for a good couple of grand anytime one's for sale ;)

Cinematronics-Space Wars http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=&game_id=9691

Catamaran Hotel - San Diego

Cinematronics-Tailgunner http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=&game_id=10012

Catamaran Hotel - San Diego

Exidy-StarFire http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=&game_id=9758

Superfun - Paradise Valley Mall, Phoenix, AZ

Atari-Subs http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=&game_id=9858

Video Round-up - Scottsdale, AZ

Atari-Lunar Lander http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=&game_id=8465

Disneyland

Gremlin-Moon Cresta http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=&game_id=13057

Sunrise Ski Lodge - Arizona

Taito-Polaris http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=&game_id=9062

Grocery Store, Paradise valley, Arizona

Electra-Avenger http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=&game_id=6977

Sunrise Ski Lodge - Arizona

Edited by Zonie

I'd love to play any Cinematronics title, but I've never seen any of those cabs. Especially Warrior. If I could find a mint condition Warrior cab I'd be one happy camper.

And while it's listed as a prototype, I'd like to try out Ixion, it's quite fun on the 2600.

Edited by Shaggy the Atarian

The only Cinematronics cab I saw seemed to be the "normal" style. It was almost all black, except for the three overlays and the yellow letters on the marquee that said "Star Castle". The marquee was one of those that hung out over the screen a little bit. It's been a long time since I played that particular Star Castle game.

My favorites that weren't well distributed are:

Sega Touring Car

Aero Fighters one and two

1945: Strikers

The Raiden Fighters

Reactor

Manx TT Superbike (that one was still kind of obscure)

Any full cabinet version of 1998 Sega Rally or Scud Race/Super GT.

The movie theatre had an arcade room with an I,Robot game languishing in a corner.I played it every time I visited.The game was very "different" in the day;who can forget that creepy eye following your character around.They also had a Qiz game that sat empty;it was just too difficult for most players,but I liked it.