IGNORED

Advice needed re: SIO2IDE

Harry

Hi from New Zealand,

I recently installed an SIO2IDE interface in an Atari 130XE.

It’s functioning in so far as allowing me to access my 2.5” hard-drive, however when I run Mydos453, and then FDISK, I get the following error message:

WRONG SW VERSION

Does anyone know what this means?

My interface is labeled SIO2IDE ver. 4.0

I’ve tried the following software:

FD44.com

FD42.com

FD33.com

I’ve been unable to find an FD40.com on the Web (if there is such a thing).

H E L P!

• 2 weeks later...
Do you dare? :)

911885[/snapback]

;) he he, I just might be crazy enough to try it.

Actually, I'm not fully convinced that the problem isn't a configuration error on my part.

I've been pre-occupied with some other - non Atari - projects lately. When I get some time I'm going to start from scratch and see what unfolds.

I've tried for more info from the atariarea.histeria.pl/sio2ide/ site, but it seems there is no-one home :(

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi friends.

I have an sio2ide interface installed and functioning with my 130XE.

I'm thinking about doing the optional RESET MODIFICATION refered to in the sio2ide documentation.

I understand from the schematic (a fuzzy jpeg included with early versions of the sio2ide package) that I need to identify and locate the following chips on my 130XE motherboard: U8, U17, and U18C.

After some web-searching and detective work I believe I know the chips in question, but I'd like to see it confirmed in a motherboard layout document. I have three questions:

1. Where can I find a document showing the layout and location of chips on a 130XE C070067 Rev-5 motherboard?

2. Can someone explain the IC numbering system to me, U1 U2 U3....etc. There's a secret to learn here, no?

3. Has anyone else tried this modification? I'd like to know if it works well.

Thank you,

-Harry-

Hi friends.

I'm thinking about doing the optional RESET MODIFICATION refered to in the sio2ide documentation.

Install Qmeg 4.04 Rom on Your Atari 130XE - it's better hardware modyfication -> You Can boot Atari from disk drive 1-8

(on original Rom only from D1), and Switch ON/OFF Ultra Speed for any mounted ATR files. Buy IDE-CF adapter and use CF Card!

Edited by Pigula

Hi friends.

I understand from the schematic (a fuzzy jpeg included with early versions of the sio2ide package) that I need to identify and locate the following chips on my 130XE motherboard: U8, U17, and U18C.

After some web-searching and detective work I believe I know the chips in question, but I'd like to see it confirmed in a motherboard layout document. I have three questions:

1. Where can I find a document showing the layout and location of chips on a 130XE C070067 Rev-5 motherboard?

2. Can someone explain the IC numbering system to me, U1 U2 U3....etc. There's a secret to learn here, no?

3. Has anyone else tried this modification? I'd like to know if it works well.

Thank you,

-Harry-

@1: Find the schematics of the 130XE.

My (paper) schematics state PCB CO70067.

@2: U8=CPU=CO14806

U17=GTIA=CO14889 (Pal) and U18C=74LS08 pins 8-9-10

@3: I don't know

Good luck.

Guus

Guus> Thanks for your efforts, and your speedy reply to my questions. The chips you've identified were my prime suspects.

All the chips on my ATARI PCB are soldered in such a way that their 'U' designators are covered up! I thought maybe there was a convention for numbering IC's on a PCB;....left to right....top to bottom,....that kind of thing.

Pigula> Your ideas sound mighty good. A project for me to do next year perhaps :) .

I have another SIO2IDE question.

Thanks to Beetle and Marek M. my old Sio2IDE is now working with 3.3a

It works great.

But I have one problem. It does not recognise my 180KB ATR images. Some do, and some don't. First I discovered a problem: some ATR's are 721 sectors in stead of 720. Those 721 sector sized won't work. So I converted them to 720. About 50% of them works now (the FDISK program actually does show those double density 720 sector size atr's) but the other 50% is not on the screen.

And they ARE on the disk... that's for sure.

Who knows a solution?

Marius

I have another SIO2IDE question.

Thanks to Beetle and Marek M. my old Sio2IDE is now working with 3.3a

It works great.

But I have one problem. It does not recognise my 180KB ATR images. Some do, and some don't. First I discovered a problem: some ATR's are 721 sectors in stead of 720. Those 721 sector sized won't work. So I converted them to 720. About 50% of them works now (the FDISK program actually does show those double density 720 sector size atr's) but the other 50% is not on the screen.

And they ARE on the disk... that's for sure.

Who knows a solution?

Marius

Try http://trub.atari8.info/files/FIXATR.ZIP

But first make backup!

• 13 years later...