IGNORED

JellyBeans Game Source Code Released

Cybernoid

Hey thanks very much Cybernoid.

I've been playing with CC65 for the Atari, and have found few samples that show how to use it for Atari specific programming. Many samples try and show the cross-platform development advantages of CC65.

I hope to put my code out there when I've got something decent up and running. At the moment, it's just a demo trying to impliment a Gameboy style RPG. (I know...YAZG ;) )

I'm interested to see how you integrated RMT using CC65.

I will also find the xasm2ca65.pl script most useful.

Thanks again.

Hawk.

I've been playing with CC65 for the Atari, and have found few samples that show how to use it for Atari specific programming.  Many samples try and show the cross-platform development advantages of CC65.

I have several more examples of C code for the Atari... will release later.

I hope to put my code out there when I've got something decent up and running.  At the moment, it's just a demo trying to impliment a Gameboy style RPG. (I know...YAZG ;) )

An RPG Demo sounds cool... can't wait for Zelda for the Atari. :)

I'm interested to see how you integrated RMT using CC65.

I will also find the xasm2ca65.pl script most useful.

The xasm2ca65.pl was used to integrate RMT into the code. It is a fairly simple PERL script that works well with RMT xasm, but may need some adjustments to be more generic.

=C=

I have released the source code to my game JellyBeans!  So, please feel free to download it, modify it, do with it what you want!!!!

It can be downloaded here:

jellybeans_src.zip

Or check out the main JellyBeans website:

JellyBeans!

-C-

907577[/snapback]

Hello can my people port this game to the Atari Jaguar?

Edited by walter_J64bit

909507[/snapback]

Of course! No problem. Let me know if you need a hand with the porting, or have any questions... I would love to see this on the Jaguar.

This begs the question, who are "my people"? :)

-Cyber-

909507[/snapback]

Of course! No problem. Let me know if you need a hand with the porting, or have any questions... I would love to see this on the Jaguar.

This begs the question, who are "my people"? :)

-Cyber-

909920[/snapback]

Cool I'll PM you from here on out! :cool: thanks!

Edited by walter_J64bit

Thanks a TON cyber, this is great stuff.

I am using cc65 a lot myself. Its very good from what I can tell.

*edit*

There's some great stuff in there. Cyber is it ok if I cut some stuff out and add it to some libraries I am building? I'll credit in the comments.

Edited by danwinslow

Thanks a TON cyber, this is great stuff.

I am using cc65 a lot myself. Its very good from what I can tell.

*edit*

There's some great stuff in there. Cyber is it ok if I cut some stuff out and add it to some libraries I am building? I'll credit in the comments.

910216[/snapback]

Yeah, sure, that is perfectly fine. Just give me credit. Can I see your finished libraries? I might find some other things useful. :)

cc65 is great, not a lot of graphics or sounds libraries for the Atari, but if you need something to get you going quickly, cc65 is the way to go. I typically code in C first, then see what needs to be optimized and run faster.. then recode those areas in assembly.

-C-

• 2 weeks later...
WOW JellyBeans taking a life on its own a Jag/Lynx programmer is looking at it he's going more to the lynx with JellyBeans and Dreamcast/GP32 programmer is looking at too!  :cool:

911989[/snapback]

It looks like the Lynx Port is taking off... it is actually playable... even includes the title screen.

Do you know who is doing the Dreamcast port? Website?

Thanks,

C

WOW JellyBeans taking a life on its own a Jag/Lynx programmer is looking at it he's going more to the lynx with JellyBeans and Dreamcast/GP32 programmer is looking at too!  :cool:

911989[/snapback]

It looks like the Lynx Port is taking off... it is actually playable... even includes the title screen.

Do you know who is doing the Dreamcast port? Website?

Thanks,

C

917882[/snapback]

I'll take a look into that! ;)

• 2 months later...
Has anyone tried building this with the current cc65?

After changing all the instances of 'wprot' to 'ro' in the linker configuration files I was able to get it to build, but the exe files it produces dont work. :(

Steve

969890[/snapback]

Hmm, looks like I need to update to the latest cc65... I'll let you know when I have an update.

Sorry for that. :ponder:

Hi Cybernoid,

I think with the library and atari.o changes happening in cc65

the linker now bloats the exe and things don't nicely align to the pages.

I think a bit more use of the segments to put things like the fonts into

specific areas of memory would help out in this respect.

Certainly the linker now needs an INIT segment and a LOWCODE

(so I added INIT into the RAM memory and renamed CODE2 to LOWCODE).

It also needed __RESERVED_MEMORY__ added to the SYMBOLS section.

Also one fix:jellybeans.c (line 4646)

draw_string("J\x04\x14LLYB\x04\x14ANS", 734);

The second \x14 doesn't work because the 'A' is included in the number.

So best to use Octal representation here instead (\024)

Regards,

Mark

Some changes made so that it builds now, plays the game but can't tell if all is OK.

970210[/snapback]

Thanks for the update. I was able to build with these changes. Both the title.com and the jellybeans.com files build. These will need to be copied to a DOS 2 disk and have the RS232 handler loaded first, then title.com, then jellybeans.com.

Both the 2.11.0.1 compiled versions run under SpartaDos, but the title.com crashes under DOS 2.0. Strange.... though I was able to load the title.com and quickly hold down start to by-pass the title screen to go to the main program.

So, the main game looks okay... it all checks out, including sound, but the title.com has some issues... I'll work this out...

Anyway, I am starting a SourceForge project for JellyBeans and other Atari projects I am working on, so I will update this as soon as it is online with the code provided. I need to roll in some of the changes the Lynx guys did as well. I also have some code to speed up the R: device reads/writes so that it will work better over the network.

Thanks,

Chris