IGNORED

Who wants TRONMAN?

neotokeo2001

Albert is going to make some extra carts of TRONMAN for me to offer to those people who want a copy. Right now 20 copies are being made with 10 of those going to people who were involved with the hack in one way or another. So 10 copies are up for grabs. There may be more carts made in the future but no guarantee. And yes, When you plug the cartridge into an Atari 2600 the cartridge lights up with the TRON blue glow.

3.jpg

1.jpg

For people who don't know:

TRONMAN is a hack of Fast Eddie that was made as a parody of Jay Maynard who is the guy pictured on the cartridge. He made his own TRON costume and became know as the TRON GUY and has appeared in print and Televison interviews. Check out his website:

http://tronguy.net/

The costume is kinda cool but Jay became known more for how he looked in the suit:

tronguy50.gif

Hey Jay!! That's just wrong.... :ponder:

You can get more information on the game and download a playable BIN file here:

http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dl...geid=154950&ck=

The game will come with:

Glowing TRONMAN Cartridge

Instruction Book

Box with printed front and back.

Right now the whole package is going to be $25 with carts being ready to go by the end of August. That price is pretty much set but may change by a dollar or so up or down(down doubtful :) ). Shipping will be by USPS Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation, $4.75 I believe. PAYPAL ONLY. Worldwide shipping is an additional $2.

Right now I want anyone wanting to get a copy of TRONMAN to PM a message to me thru Atariage. It will still be a few weeks before payment is required. I have had too many request for TRONMAN over the last 6 months to keep track so it will be on a first come first serve basis. I will reply to your message if you get a copy reserved or if you were too late. Like I mentioned before, More may be made but no guarantee.

I have to admit, the guy in the hack does bear a more than slight resemblence to Jay Maynard. Thanks for leaving out the bulge, by the way. :D

I can't say I'd want to buy this game (it's a pretty good hack of a merely average 2600 platformer), but BOY would I love to distribute my own game, Solar Plexus, in some of those translucent cartridges! Just make the cartridge shell red, and include a little metal spinner inside the cart that's powered by a motor, and it would be perfect.

JR

I have to admit, the guy in the hack does bear a more than slight resemblence to Jay Maynard.  Thanks for leaving out the bulge, by the way.  :D

I can't say I'd want to buy this game (it's a pretty good hack of a merely average 2600 platformer), but BOY would I love to distribute my own game, Solar Plexus, in some of those translucent cartridges!  Just make the cartridge shell red, and include a little metal spinner inside the cart that's powered by a motor, and it would be perfect.

JR

908636[/snapback]

The "bulge" will be included on the packaging by popular request. No Joke, It was requested(By more then one person). Something about it not being TRONMAN without getting the full effect. :ponder: The full frontal picture will be on the back of the box. I just could'nt bear to see 20 carts and boxes with it on the front.

I actually think Fast Eddie is one of the best games on the 2600. At higher levels it is a real blast. Twitch gameplay at it's best, Blink and Die!

I would buy a copy of Solar Plexis with or without a fancy cart. I don't know if it is possible but imagine a clear red cartridge with a pulsing LED. It may send people into seizures in a dark room, But it would look cool!!

A question from a PM asked if Jay was aware of being made fun of.

He has gone on late night TV shows and cruised the convention circuit in his TRON outfit so I don't think he minds a few jokes about his appearance.

No Jay Maynards were harmed in any way in the production of this cartridge. :D Jay is aware of the TRONMAN project and has given his full approval for using his likeness.

And yes, When you plug the cartridge into an Atari 2600 the cartridge lights up with the TRON blue glow.

908618[/snapback]

The RAM+ cartridge design I'm working on will have a spare output pin on the CPLD. If I end up with spare logic to drive it, the cart could have a software-controlled LED inside. I'll probably be loading up the logic with bank-switching goodies, but I may allow users to trade off a ROM addressing bit for the LED.

The RAM+ cartridge design I'm working on will have a spare output pin on the CPLD.  If I end up with spare logic to drive it, the cart could have a software-controlled LED inside.  I'll probably be loading up the logic with bank-switching goodies, but I may allow users to trade off a ROM addressing bit for the LED.

Damn. I knew I forgot something in my Ultracart design.

Next time I rev it, I'll have to put in holes for TWO LEDs, so they can blink ( ( I N _ S T E R E O ) ) (where available)

Edited by Bruce Tomlin

And yes, When you plug the cartridge into an Atari 2600 the cartridge lights up with the TRON blue glow.

908618[/snapback]

The RAM+ cartridge design I'm working on will have a spare output pin on the CPLD. If I end up with spare logic to drive it, the cart could have a software-controlled LED inside. I'll probably be loading up the logic with bank-switching goodies, but I may allow users to trade off a ROM addressing bit for the LED.

908701[/snapback]

Niiiiice! So hey, do you think it would be feasible to build a small motor inside a 2600 cartridge, and use it to spin a little metal pinwheel?

JR

Does the man who inspired this game get a copy, too?  Maybe he can use the cartridge as a makeshift cup, to cover up that unsightly bulge.  :ponder:

JR

909441[/snapback]

Actually he already solved that problem. In his late night TV appearances he is wearing a cup or something.

Yes. Jay will be getting a copy as well as Atari Charles who came up with the idea for a TRON-GUY game. I think the original idea was to hack Squeeze Box into a TRON-GUY game by replacing the gangster with a chubby Tron character. I had already worked with Fast Eddie on the Pack-Rat hack and decided to turn it into a Tron game. To seperate the two games I named my version TRONMAN. I have a serious version that has a normal size TRON sprite but it just is'nt the same.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes. Jay will be getting a copy as well as Atari Charles who came up with the idea for a TRON-GUY game. I think the original idea was to hack Squeeze Box into a TRON-GUY game by replacing the gangster with a chubby Tron character. I had already worked with Fast Eddie on the Pack-Rat hack and decided to turn it into a Tron game. To seperate the two games I named my version TRONMAN. I have a serious version that has a normal size TRON sprite but it just is'nt the same.

Thanks. I look forward to this game. I'm glad it exists!

Charles

It's funny as heck although I doubt our kids and grandkids will know who he is/was. LOL great way to "keep the legend alive".

Even the look most people have when I casually say "oh sure they are still developing and making new atari games/carts, it's great" is priceless.

Hopefully we'll have everything paid up asap and glad we had a chance to sneak in in the last second. :D