IGNORED

FB2 Cartridge-fied with Autodetect

Sorry to start yet another cart mod thread, but thought this was deserving (and I rarely start threads anyway). Full details here:

FB Cart Info

The quick version is that my FB2 has a cart slot that automatically disables the game rom, no switch needed. About 3/4 of carts are working, I think the problem is long wires and/or a 4.2v VCC in my system.

Was thinking about making these to ebay but it's just so much work, hours of soldering, cutting, debugging, assembling. So it's free to rip off, just don't brag to much.

Hey Curt am I the first consumer to do a cart mod? Any prize? Pretty please....

fb_cart.jpg

Edited by jsoper

Is that seriously an adapter for the GB SP to get composite audio/video on it?

That's awesome, where can I get one?

910048[/snapback]

Thanks Keilbaca. The device is called a "GBA AV converter", there's plenty on ebay. I was impressed with the video at first and planned to make a tiny 2600 portable with it and a FB2 board with GBA buttons controlling it. But the other night I found it drops every other video frame or something. You get Asteroids with invisible asteroids and things like that.

No GBA speaker either, the sound loops back around to the headphone jack. It's good for quick lab setups though.

You know what dude, PM me - I think you definitely deserve something for being the first! I will also like to link your first mod/hack onto my webpage and maybe make a section for people to show off their work.

Curt

Sorry to start yet another cart mod thread, but thought this was deserving (and I rarely start threads anyway).  Full details here:

FB Cart Info

The quick version is that my FB2 has a cart slot that automatically disables the game rom, no switch needed.  About 3/4 of carts are working, I think the problem is long wires and/or a 4.2v VCC in my system.

Was thinking about making these to ebay but it's just so much work, hours of soldering, cutting, debugging, assembling.  So it's free to rip off, just don't brag to much.

Hey Curt am I the first consumer to do a cart mod?  Any prize?  Pretty please....

fb_cart.jpg

910039[/snapback]

You know what dude, PM me - I think you definitely deserve something for being the first!      I will also like to link your first mod/hack onto my webpage and maybe make a section for people to show off their work.

Curt

Sorry to start yet another cart mod thread, but thought this was deserving (and I rarely start threads anyway).  Full details here:

FB Cart Info

The quick version is that my FB2 has a cart slot that automatically disables the game rom, no switch needed.  About 3/4 of carts are working, I think the problem is long wires and/or a 4.2v VCC in my system.

Was thinking about making these to ebay but it's just so much work, hours of soldering, cutting, debugging, assembling.  So it's free to rip off, just don't brag to much.

Hey Curt am I the first consumer to do a cart mod?  Any prize?  Pretty please....

fb_cart.jpg

910039[/snapback]

910092[/snapback]

Give him a demo 10 game unit ;)

He certainly deserves it. That's one hell of a good job.

Edited by keilbaca

You sneak, inventive bastard! What a neat idea, a trans-gate chip! Here I was thinking you might go with a pair of leave switches or something.... Nice work :-)

Saw your comments about the difficulties... looking back in hindsight now... I wish we'd done slide switches.... just means FB3 will have to be even better...

:-)

Curt

You sneak, inventive bastard!  What a neat idea, a trans-gate chip!    Here I was thinking you might go with a pair of leave switches or something....    Nice work :-)

Saw your comments about the difficulties... looking back in hindsight now... I wish we'd done slide switches.... just means FB3 will have to be even better...

:-)

Curt

910106[/snapback]

Nothing like a little soldering, some cutting and two old switches can't fix ;)

Something I'd like to see in any future Flashback is the ablity to navigate the menus using the console buttons. It really feels like a missing feature, since you have to set the joystick aside and double-click the power button to access the menus in the first place.

Something I'd like to see in any future Flashback is the ablity to navigate the menus using the console buttons. It really feels like a missing feature, since you have to set the joystick aside and double-click the power button to access the menus in the first place.

910167[/snapback]

WTF are you retarded? That's the 2nd post today that made you look like an ass.

The joystick control is fine. Just make a quick reset button for the menu, so you don't have to power off and on. But leave it that you can control the menus with the joystick.

EDIT: Duh... I can make it myself. Add that to the mod count when I get a non-errored FB2 :)

Edited by keilbaca

Very nice mod!

The possibilities for a portable setup are tantalizing. I definately think we're hitting the 'second golden age' of Atari with all the great products and homebrews coming out. I'm going to wait for a sound fixed version before I mod mine. I'm keeping the screwed up version on the off chance that some bozo ten years from now thinks it's collectible. Ya never know....

Very nice mod!

The possibilities for a portable setup are tantalizing. I definately think we're hitting the 'second golden age' of Atari with all the great products and homebrews coming out. I'm going to wait for a sound fixed version before I mod mine. I'm keeping the screwed up version on the off chance that some bozo ten years from now thinks it's collectible. Ya never know....

910198[/snapback]

Same. Also, I'd like to hear, Quadrun, Quadrun, Quadrun ;)

Hey Jsoper. Do you have a real quadrun to say... try out and see if its really disappeared for good? or maybe a krokodile cart?

Is that seriously an adapter for the GB SP to get composite audio/video on it?

That's awesome, where can I get one?

910048[/snapback]

Thanks Keilbaca. The device is called a "GBA AV converter", there's plenty on ebay. I was impressed with the video at first and planned to make a tiny 2600 portable with it and a FB2 board with GBA buttons controlling it. But the other night I found it drops every other video frame or something. You get Asteroids with invisible asteroids and things like that.

No GBA speaker either, the sound loops back around to the headphone jack. It's good for quick lab setups though.

910057[/snapback]

Do you happen to know if the GBA AV converter will work with the Nintendo DS? I

would love to get one if it does.

thanks

Kevin

jsoper mentioned before that the power switch ran off of the 5v power inverter. Here's a question for you, and why can't this work? Move it from the 5v pin of the inverter to the 9v pin. That way, you can do a battery hack to it, using say... a 9 volt, and it won't drain the power from it because the inverter is cut off.

:ponder:

910167[/snapback]

I can see where you're coming from with this; after all, most games for the 2600 use the select lever, and not the joystick, to choose which game to play. A console-mounted game select button isn't a feature of any modern machine I'm aware of, so it's part of the nostalgia. I'm just not sure anyone would have the patience to select through all the games like we did back then - remember going through all the variations (a hundred and twelve!) on the Space Invaders cartridge? :)

Hey Jsoper. Do you have a real quadrun to say... try out and see if its really disappeared for good? or maybe a krokodile cart?

910203[/snapback]

Tried it on an eprom multicart, no voice. Also noticed that the Galaxian .bin has the same problem as the official cart: screwed up with an extra column of bad guys. This makes me think my problems are long wires and not the 4.2v VCC. Time to shorten things up.

Do you happen to know if the GBA AV converter will work with the Nintendo DS?  I

would love to get one if it does.

thanks

Kevin

910239[/snapback]

It should, it has the notch so it's a 3.3v cart not 5v like some older gameboy stuff (which DS does not support). Try it and see. If doesn't work, re-ebay it.

I know many carts short pins 12 and 24, but one is 'called' ground and the other is called something like 'shield ground'.  Is it possible that some carts connect one to a metal shield but not the other (for EMI reduction, that would generally FWIU be a good idea).

910240[/snapback]

Kevin Horton wrote that every cart he had ever checked shorted them together.

noticed that the Galaxian .bin has the same problem as the official cart: screwed up with an extra column of bad guys.  This makes me think my problems are long wires and not the 4.2v VCC.  Time to shorten things up.

910691[/snapback]

I wouldn't be so sure, they look plenty short to me. I think low voltage probably is the the problem. They probably used lower voltage as a compromise like you said, so they wouldn't have to level-shift. For 100% compatibility, you might need to use some sort of level-shifting buffer (several of CD4010 &/or CD4050?) between the cart port and board, and supply the port with true 5V power.