IGNORED

Colecovision question(s)

jetset

What (if any) games have a 'pause' feature? (Besides Frenzy)

Also, I saw in another thread recently that you can use a "y" splitter cable to play CV games using a Genesis or Atari 7800 gamepad controller, having the original CV controller in the other plug for the keypad (game select) feature(s) ?

Does this really work? Can it be any 9-pin splitter ?

In Gyruss, the second button is a pause feature.

I don't think the Y cable trick will work for genesis controllers if you want both buttons. Can't remember if 7800 controllers work, I hate them as much as CV ones anyway.

My site has some CV stuff on it if you're interested.

In Gyruss, the second button is a pause feature.

I don't think the Y cable trick will work for genesis controllers if you want both buttons.  Can't remember if 7800 controllers work, I hate them as much as CV ones anyway.

My site has some CV stuff on it if you're interested.

911976[/snapback]

Yes I meant the Genesis for one button games, and the 7800 for two button games. And I should have been more specific...the 7800 NES-style controllers...

like these

con_Atari7800Joypad.jpg

The regular 7800 Stock controllers are almost as bad as the original CV ones, I cant get comfortable using fire buttons on opposite sides. Too cumbersome....

911973[/snapback]

What CV games don't have a pause feature? On all Coleco made games, you just press the * to pause.

There's a couple that don't have a pause. Jumpman Jr. and Frogger come to mind. Also on some games it's the # symbol not the * but I think that might be only Miner 2049er and The Heist. Also if I remember correctly Activision games use the 0 to pause.

One cool thing about CV's pause is that sometimes it uses different music then appears in the game. I first noticed it in Frenzy.

Edited by joeybastard

911973[/snapback]

What CV games don't have a pause feature? On all Coleco made games, you just press the * to pause.

There's a couple that don't have a pause. Jumpman Jr. and Frogger come to mind. Also on some games it's the # symbol not the * but I think that might be only Miner 2049er and The Heist. Also if I remember correctly Activision games use the 0 to pause.

One cool thing about CV's pause is that sometimes it uses different music then appears in the game. I first noticed it in Frenzy.

912320[/snapback]

The pause music in Front Line is pretty cool and I think that the Phosphor Dot Fossils website has the download for that tune - check it out! :P

• 1 month later...

By the way, regarding 'y' splitter cables:

I took the 'reverse Y' cable that I bought from myatari.com (B&C Computervisions), which has 2 female and 1 male connectors, and added a DB9 male to DB9 male gender changer/adapter from Radio Shack (catalog # 26-231 for $8) to one of the female connections on the 'reverse Y'. This will allow you to use a standard atari joystick AND any colecovision controller in port 1 on the Ccolecovision console simultaneously.

This works great for playing Frogger, Miner 2049er, and a few other Colecovision games using an atari joystick while having access to the number pad on a Colecovision controller.

Just for those who didn't know that... ;)

Jetset,

Astro Invader homebrew has a pause feature!

Scott

By the way, regarding 'y' splitter cables:

I took the 'reverse Y' cable that I bought from myatari.com (B&C Computervisions), which has 2 female and 1 male connectors, and added a DB9 male to DB9 male gender changer/adapter from Radio Shack (catalog # 26-231 for $8) to one of the female connections on the 'reverse Y'.  This will allow you to use a standard atari joystick AND any colecovision controller in port 1 on the Ccolecovision console simultaneously.

This works great for playing Frogger, Miner 2049er, and a few other Colecovision games using an atari joystick while having access to the number pad on a Colecovision controller.

Just for those who didn't know that...  ;)

948396[/snapback]

Im confused here. Many people werent aware that there were many games without a pause feature?

but from the first post/question, i can tell you that many of the early coleco games did not feature a "pause" feature. this is something that the Atari 5200 had over coleco until coleco finally came around to adding this feature.

911973[/snapback]

http://tomheroes.com/Video%20Games%20FS/vi...eco_manuals.htm

I could never find a Y cable to try that.

912036[/snapback]

just about all the early games dont feaure a pause feature. the ones that are marked "COLECOVISION" dont have pause features (1 or 2 may but 99% of them dont)

the pause feature was bought in when coleco switched to the "colecovision & adam" labels.

• 7 years later...

Star Trek: Strategic Operations Simulator is another CV game with a pause feature. About that title, what BGM are you hearing anyway? A portion of the main Star Trek theme song by Alexander Courage and Gene Roddenberry ("Beyond the rim of the starlight/My love is wand'ring in the star flight")? I know the Game Over ("Simulation Complete") song is the final strain of that classic tune.

~Ben

Edited by ColecoFan1981