IGNORED

Atari 8-bit Sinistar Prototype Discovered!

Albert

Wow, this is a very awesome find. Personally I'd rather see it ported over to the 7800

Yeah, I'll hop in my TIME MACHINE and relay that request to the programmers back in 1984.

913341[/snapback]

You do just that!

I was talking about now of course, instead of seeing a port over to the 5200. I forgot that I have to be completely descriptive of what I mean when you're around otherwise it goes over your head :roll:

Obviously there are some things you need explained to you...

The 8-bit Atari computers and the Atari 5200 have precisely the same graphics and sound hardware. Moving games from one to the other is a relatively simple matter (memory usage allowing).

The 7800, on the other hand, uses COMPLETELY DIFFERENT graphics and sound hardware. It would take as much effort to port a 5200 game to the 7800 as it would to port it to a C64 or an Apple II. In other words, an almost complete rewrite.

So the discovery of this prototype is of absolutely no relevance to the 7800.

I will tell all when the time comes.  For now the parties involved would like to keep quiet for now.

913485[/snapback]

Have you managed to finish Tempest yet? Weren't you the one with the piles and piles of Atari hard disks possibly with many long lost games on them?

Maybe he has more.. :ponder:

Actually, Sinistar is mentioned in several Atari catalogs, including German and French editions. Also, if you check the Atari Release Schedule Curt posted in March, the game is listed as "99% complete".

On the same document (dated August 1984), Elevator Action is said to be 85% finished, Tempest 80% and... Agent X 50%. BTW, Datasoft later bought the rights to Elevator Action and you can bet they would have used that code...

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

Actually, Sinistar is mentioned in several Atari catalogs, including German and French editions. Also, if you check the Atari Release Schedule Curt posted in March, the game is listed as "99% complete".

On the same document (dated August 1984), Elevator Action is said to be 85% finished, Tempest 80% and... Agent X 50%. BTW, Datasoft later bought the rights to Elevator Action and you can bet they would have used that code...

--

Atari Frog

913702[/snapback]

Well I wouldn't trust status memos to be 100% accurate. I've seen many errors in the ones I've read. Tempest for instance never got to 80%...

Did Datasoft ever release their version of EA?

Tempest

Well I wouldn't trust status memos to be 100% accurate. I've seen many errors in the ones I've read.

Sure but it can give you leads :)

Tempest for instance never got to 80%...

I suppose it's the same as the 5200 version anyway? Isn't it possible both versions were programmed at the same time?

Did Datasoft ever release their version of EA?

Nope...

--

Atari Frog

It's possible, but I doubt it. Most 8-bit games were either started on the 8-bit and ported to the 5200 or vice versa. This way Atari didn't have to develop the exact same game twice. Of course there are some exceptions like Dig Dug, Qix, Centipede, etc.

Tempest

Amazing find! I, too, hope the game could be ported over to the 5200, although I worry about the controllers being a bit of a problem (like Asteroids).

Does 8-bit Sinistar have ALL of the phrases used in the arcade game, or only a couple? As far as the "Would this have been released on the 5200 as well" debate, the 5200 FAQ does list a catalog number for the game as "CX 5249", so I'm guessing it was planned.

Edited by jnice

Does 8-bit Sinistar have ALL of the phrases used in the arcade game, or only a couple? 

Just "Beware I Live". They most likely did this because the whole screen freezes when it speaks and they didn't want that happening while you're trying to kill him.

Tempest

and... Agent X 50%.

Finding that one would be akin to finding Airworld in Holy Graildom. I hope someone did start this one and got it to where it was somewhat playable, but until then, Agent X, like Black Widow are just vapors in the rumor bin.

In the interim, between Sinistar and Blaster, it's been a great year+ in the 8bit world.

and... Agent X 50%.

Finding that one would be akin to finding Airworld in Holy Graildom. I hope someone did start this one and got it to where it was somewhat playable, but until then, Agent X, like Black Widow are just vapors in the rumor bin.

In the interim, between Sinistar and Blaster, it's been a great year+ in the 8bit world.

913961[/snapback]

Well... On November 11, 2003 a rumor became a reality as an 8bit holy grail was in fact found...

Before going all ape-sh*t on this, let's just get a few things mentioned:

The disk was horribly bent (literally like a right angle) took quite a few days under a heavy stack of books to flatten it back to a point where the disk was readable.

The game code is in tact and working on an Atari 800

The game is in fact about 50-60% complete.

The game code will NOT be released at this time (this will be described in great detail soon on a new website devoted to this game) as myself, Matt Reichert and Ken Van Mersbergen have been working for the last year and a half very closely with its author and he wishes to complete the game and only when the completed game is ready will it and this original WIP be released, so we've all be patient for 20+ years, your all going to have to be patient for a while longer.

post-23-1124395573_thumb.jpg

Edited by Curt Vendel

Just curious and I know these things are hard to say but do you have an ETA on when he might finish it?

Allan

PS. It's amazing how many games are still being found. I half expect to hear the announcement of a long lost Atari prototype found called 'When Pigs Fly'.

Edited by Allan