IGNORED

Xbox price

Atarifever

Maybe your right. So what your saying is that PS2 and X-box debuted at $299.99 but this unit should be less than the $299.99 they are asking for the base unit. Ok fair enough.  But why?

914851[/snapback]

Actually, if you read my other posts, and the one that started this thread (and I'm not being sarcastic there, there are lots of times that I dn't read every post, or where I don't remember who said exactly what) I personaly think the price is reasonable. In fact, I am one of the only people who don't think the core unit (Penny arcade called it the xbox 3 shitty and said it was for retards) is a bad idea. WHEN I eventually (in a couple years) jump into the next generation, I will probably buy the core 360.

I just wanted to point out that just because some people call the system over priced, it doesn't make them cheap or whiny. Sorry, if you think the only reasonably priced system this generation was the GameCube, then you are likely to think the 360 is over priced, regardless of what kind of stuff it can do.

I don't think people complaining about the price makes them cheap and whiney, but I think it does make them very unrealistic. I did just see a scan of the accessory prices and I will say that $50 for the wireless and $40 for the wired controllers is overpriced to me - especially since they are also offering $20 rechargeable packs for the wireless ones. That seems high.

I expected 300-400 for the PS3 and Xbox360, and 200-250 for the Revolution - which to me is consistant with other hardware launches in the past. But $70 to have your wireless controller and the recharger - that's overpriced to me.

I personaly think the price is reasonable.

Yep I know.

Sorry, if you think the only reasonably priced system this generation was the GameCube, then you are likely to think the 360 is over priced, regardless of what kind of stuff it can do.

Don't know what to tell those people. If they weren't willing to spend $299.99 for a game system 5 years and they are still complaining about a $299.99 price tag now. Ok maybe they aren't cheap, I dunno what you would call it.... frugal???.... thrifty??.... out of touch with the current generations cost of production??

Anyone who felt bad because I called them cheap, please accept my appologies and insert one of the above.

Don't know what to tell those people. If they weren't willing to spend $299.99 for a game system 5 years and they are still complaining about a $299.99 price tag now. Ok maybe they aren't cheap, I dunno what you would call it.... frugal???.... thrifty??.... out of touch with the current generations cost of production??

Anyone who felt bad because I called them cheap, please accept my appologies and insert one of the above.

914866[/snapback]

:D If it were me, I'd want to be called frugal.

However, remember, the Revolution may launch at $250, so they may still not have to pay $299 now.

However, remember, the Revolution may launch at $250, so they may still not have to pay $299 now.

I don't doubt this at all. Nintendo's not jumping on the multimedia bandwagon, the Revolution is a gaming system. It wouldn't suprise me if it launches at $199.99. Will definately be interesting to see how it does without the additional options. Theoretically it should be a pure gamers dream. Personally I think it will fail. The times are a changing and in spite of the fact that it might be an AWESOME gaming console... It's just not cool. The PS and X-Box will appeal to everyone in the house, not just the gamer. I'll still get one.

I don't doubt this at all. Nintendo's not jumping on the multimedia bandwagon, the Revolution is a gaming system. It wouldn't suprise me if it launches at $199.99. Will definately be interesting to see how it does without the additional options. Theoretically it should be a pure gamers dream. Personally I think it will fail. The times are a changing and in spite of the fact that it might be an AWESOME gaming console... It's just not cool. The PS and X-Box will appeal to everyone in the house, not just the gamer. I'll still get one.

914875[/snapback]

If it was $199 (that'd be $250 by the Canadian price, because it has to be a mandatory $50 more no matter how good or bad the dollar does) I'd have to buy it right away. That would be a great price. I don't think it will fail, because I think Nintendo will likely maintain it's 10% at the very least. Parents have to buy their kids something, and fans of the Nintendo 1st party stuff (like me) have no choice but to buy Nintendo.

Yeah I don't know if the price difference is going to help Nintendo. People may not like the price but they want all of that 'extra' stuff that nintendo seems to ignore.

I think price will hurt the 360 some but I expect people holding out for the ps3 will hurt it the most.

-Tim

Oddly enough, IGN posted the following chart today. The prices on the right are adjusted for inflation:

Atari VCS launched in 1977 for $249.99 = $811.21 in 2005

Nintendo Entertainment System launched in 1985 for $199.99 = $354.91 in 2005

SEGA Genesis launched in 1989 for $249.99 = $389.67 in 2005

NeoGeo launched in 1990 for $699.99 = $1041.12 in 2005

Super Nintendo launched in 1991 for $199.99 = $282.21 in 2005

Jaguar launched in 1993 for $249.99 = $328.69 in 2005

3DO Interactive Multiplayer launched in 1993 for $699.95 = $920.30 in 2005

SEGA Saturn launched in 1995 for $399.99 = $497.66 in 2005

Nintendo 64 launched in 1996 for $199.99 = $242.75 in 2005

SEGA Dreamcast launches in 1999 for $199.99 = $228.09 in 2005

PlayStation launched in 1995 for $299.99 = $372.01 in 2005

PlayStation 2 launched in 2000 for $299.99 = $333.15 in 2005

Xbox Launched in 2001 for $299.99 = $325.34 in 2005

GameCube launched in 2001 for $199.99 = $216.89 in 2005

914748[/snapback]

Interestingly, this kind of junk gets posted a lot on a Pen & Paper Role Playing Game forum I'm on. It's posted there for the same reason IGN posts such a misleading story: to make things look sooo much better than they were in those "bad old days."

Such a thing discounts the fact that in the U.S. wages have been proportionately going down the past few years. People have less disposable income.

Anecdotally, in 1995, I was on minimum wage. I could afford a Playstation 1 if I saved, and I did. If I was on minimum wage today, I couldn't even afford rent. Prices have raised that high.

All these inflation comparisons merely try to present a shock value price to make the current stuff look cheap. And it is always presented by those who have the most to gain by that kind of misinformation. IGN is far from anything even related to an unbiased source. They are a hype machine. And they are known to blatantly lie.

If it did prove anything, it could loosely show there is a general trend that as time goes on, people are willing to pay LESS for the next generation of hardware.

Atari VCS = 811.21

NES = 354.91

Genesis = 389.67

Playstation = 372.01

Playstation 2 = 333.15

914790[/snapback]

I almost missed this one. I agree that these comparisons are pointless. I wouldn't need to see any figures regarding minimum wage to know that those prices don't reflect reality. My parents sprang for an Atari within a year of launch, and there is no way my lower middle class, thrifty parents would have spent the equivilant of slightly less than $811 on my brother's Christmas present, no matter how much he wanted it. My cousins parents are even more well known for their thrifty ways and they bought the 2600 at launch and would not spend that kind of scratch on anything. Seriously, everyone think about it: how many of you who had a new 2600 given to you as a kid think that if your parents were buying you a present for your birthday today they would spend $811 and tax on it?

I think that those figures are based on average wage at the time and compared to average wage now. It's probably more accurate than you imagine. Look how much your house cost in 1977 and what the market value is now. Look how much a candy bar cost in 1977 and compare that to now. It has all gone up in cost by a few hundred percent so it does make sense.

You know i wouldn't mind paying an absorbent amount on hardware if the games were there. I could care less how powerful the systems are, all i want is games. The idea of buying a system just because it's strong is a concept completely foreign to me. If the 360 has amazing games as much as i don't want to i would spend the 400$ to buy one. I'll admit I’m cheap 400$ seems like a lot of money to me. Maybe if i saw some games that made that 400$ price tag worth it i wouldn't mind. But i haven't maybe this will change but going on how long it took the x box to get good games it wont at least not for a couple of years. Maybe the idea of halo 3 and perfect dark zero is enough for some but just not me.

Some one said your only saving a few hundred dollars in the long run. Maybe this is true but if there are no games you're saving time as well time you will spend waiting for good games. It never pays to be an early adopter, you have to pay the highest price and you generally get the worst games to play for a while. I mean look how crappy most of the games for the DS were at launch, there were a few good games but the majority was garbage. One of the only exceptions to this rule was the dream cast. Most systems have one or two decent games at launch, and some times you get great games but it's rare. What I'm tying to say here is that if Sony and Microsoft are going to charge 400 and 500 dollars a pop they sure as shit better have amazing games from the start. Oh and who ever said the 360 is smaller than the x box should realize that doesn't make it any less huge, wow a whole 2 pounds lighter awesome.

Edited by sega saturn x

I'll admit I’m cheap 400$ seems like a lot of money to me.

:|

Your 14 years old.

When I was 14 years old $50 seemed like a lot of money.

Just do like you usually do, ask mom to get it for you for X-mas or offer to do chores... Like the dishes or to clean out from under her toenails for extra cash.

I'll admit I’m cheap 400$ seems like a lot of money to me.

:|

Your 14 years old.

Just do like you usually do, ask mom to get it for you for X-mas or offer to do chores... Like the dishes or to clean out from under her toenails for extra cash.

915520[/snapback]

Ohhhhh goooood.... Not the TOENAILS! ;) :rolling:

Maybe if i saw some games that made that 400$ price tag worth it i wouldn't mind.

915410[/snapback]

This is all I need to get me to buy one:

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Give me some of that Radiant AI baby. I will get the money some way.

Your 14 years old.

Wow you're one funny guy, and I'm positive 400$ can seem like a lot of money to people who are older than 15 (my age).

I worded that badly, 400$ can seem like alot of money to spend on a video game system.

You worded it fine.....any amount over $20 seems like a lot of money....to a 14 year old.

Also in case you missed my previous posts...the next generations of consoles are going to be much more than just videogame systems....but in any case, new technology comes at a price at first and it will go down over time (always does)

To put in in perspective for a person whose only disposible income is weekly allowance and birthday cash...There was once a time when people spent $1000 on a video cassette recorder.

I am chuckling now because in the thread Atarifever later started about whether people would consider buying the 360 core dealie, I had posted the same inflation number that IGN ended up using in their article. I don't want to argue about whether an Atari 2600 really cost about 800 of our 2005 dollars, but I do remember that people paid more money for less computer fifteen years ago. I mean, didn't a C64 cost a lot more than an Atari 2600 back then? And as far as parents buying the things for their kids, I'd bet that more than one father imagined that he'd be using the thing as well.

Oh and who ever said the 360 is smaller than the x box should realize that doesn't make it any less huge, wow a whole 2 pounds lighter awesome.

915410[/snapback]

Smaller=less huge, less huge=smaller. They are what we call synonyms :) . From the pictures that have been leaked, it is estimated that the 360 will be about the size of a standard PS2. And 2 pounds in a game system is pretty significant.

absorbent

915410[/snapback]

Exorbitant. :ponder: