IGNORED

FB3...

I recently took back my son's old 12 inch CRT and hooked up my FB2 (I had been playing Stella and Wii2600 Homebrew.) I had contemplated on spending the $$ to cart mod the FB2 and grab the Harmony Cart.

If Curt's proposed FB3 portable has AV out, controller plugs, SD support, AND a retail cost comparable to what I was going to spend on the FB3 mod ($60 for Harmony/$20 for spare parts = $80), then sign me up.

Otherwise, Atari's Greatest hits Vol I & II for the DS and Activision's Anthology for GBA is enough portable for me.

A good friend and I are working on something, hopefully for the spring - it WONT be Atari branded, but it will be a portable and will be 2600/7800...

Since it would have a FAT16 compatible SD Card slot and no cartridge slot, no the Harmony would not work with it.

My wallet is weeping at this news. :D

Mine too, but it will be cool to FINALLY have something like this. Curt, it needs to have some kind of attachment too that will work as a Paddle so we can get some Breakout and Warlords going, please! Even if it's only a small knob that spins, that would so rock!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

WHY NOT JUST BUILD A CARTRIDGE THAT TAKES MEMORY STICKS AND EMULATES AN ATARI 2600 cart and has built in menu to select fat .bin files!!! like compact flash to 2600 cart that would be easyer to make than a FB3..

It could come with a HOMEBREW GAME!!...

Edited by awace

• 3 weeks later...

They have the FB3 at the local Dollar General... but I'm having a difficult time buying it. We have multiple 2600 consoles and enough emulation that I simply can't justify another $40 on it, especially since there is almost no chance I'm going to use the FB3 when I have so many other ways to get my 2600 satisfaction...

http://bfads.net/Ad/...R-Us-2011/Page7 again recap..it is in the blackfriday add.....note the times and be first in the store to pick one up cause they open at 9 pm not midnight.....

so doesnt that rename Black Friday and give Thursday the Black title leaving Friday to be the step child day of the sale cause all the good deals are gone...?

Edited by Chris Leach
  • Like 1

WELL, I just bought mine today, and played it. According to Wikipedia, it's not the 2600-on-a-chip technology that Legacy did with the FB2 and FB2+; instead AtGames opted to use a ARM-based processor which makes the games function slightly different (though not to the extreme of the Jaks Pacific or the first Flashback with the NES-on-a-chip). Plus if you planned on hacking it and adding a cart port, you can FORGET IT! It won't work. However, like the FB2, you can use the joysticks on an original 2600. My final analysis: it's ok, but I lean towards my FB2. While the FB3 has more games, the emulation is off IMHO. The FB2 is an actual Atari 2600, but the FB3 is an emulator inside a 2600-looking package. Plus the sounds on the games sounds higher than in their original versions.

• Like 1