IGNORED

FB3...

WELL, I just bought mine today, and played it. According to Wikipedia, it's not the 2600-on-a-chip technology that Legacy did with the FB2 and FB2+; instead AtGames opted to use a ARM-based processor which makes the games function slightly different (though not to the extreme of the Jaks Pacific or the first Flashback with the NES-on-a-chip). Plus if you planned on hacking it and adding a cart port, you can FORGET IT! It won't work. However, like the FB2, you can use the joysticks on an original 2600. My final analysis: it's ok, but I lean towards my FB2. While the FB3 has more games, the emulation is off IMHO. The FB2 is an actual Atari 2600, but the FB3 is an emulator inside a 2600-looking package. Plus the sounds on the games sounds higher than in their original versions.

Thanks for the assessment. Based on the fact that its not Legacy and not 2600 on a chip I'll definitely pass. If I see a used one in a thrift down the road I'll probably grab it but I won't bother buying one new.

I understand everybody likes Legacy Engineering products, I do too. But official Atari products are ok in my book too. I wish it would have had the SD slot, but the game selection is great, and the joysticks seem to be great. I also like how the menu is set up. I see this system doing very, very well in sales. It appears to be a pretty hot Black Friday item. They have been spotted with Walgreens, Toys R Us, Dollar General, Rite Aid...

• Like 1

I will say this: I can't wait to see if Ben Heckendorn does a portable with this!

I doubt it; he already made a bunch of real 2600 portables, why bother with this crappy clone?

The only thing it's good for is two new joysticks. Or maybe buy it for the case and put a real 2600 in there...

• Like 1

Just got one at Dollar General in southern Ohio for $15. Sign said from Nov 20-23, so must be a pre-black Friday thing.

You must have got lucky or knew somebody there because their ad shows a Jakks Pacific Atari Joystick for $15 from Sunday, November 20th-Wednesday, November 23rd, while the Atari Flashback 3 is $25 only on Thanksgiving Day, Thursday, November 24th.

http://www2.dollarge...cular-HTML.aspx

Edited by TrekkiELO

• 3 weeks later...

No, it will not, later revs will address game corrections and changes recommended... no hardware changes or SD slot. Maybe if they do an FB4, but not in the FB3.

As for my recommending/not recommending... I can't make any comments, instead reviewers have been contacted, they will get review units and publish reviews for people to read and decide on their purchase or not of the product, but its not my place.

Curt

I wish they'd pack in some paddles. Paddles are hard to find for the 2600 and I'd love to play Warlords again. Love the 2600 version of that game; didn't care for the arcade version and the 2600 version isn't included in the Xbox Live marketplace "pack"...

I wish it would have had the SD slot...

Idunno, their Genesis clone had an SD slot, and still gets bad marks just for the bad emulation.

But maybe if it does well, they'll be more keen to give Curt another chance? FB4, save the good versions for the even numbers B)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

It's time for the Flashback unit based around the Atari 8-bit computer/5200 (that this thread was started for back in Aug 2005) to see the light. I know the boys at Legacy basically have/had this done. It's Atari that closed the door on it.

Please Atari, open the door to this idea again. :D

Heck, its probably been long enough at this point for a possible Jag Flashback unit. Think of that for a second. It would be the most powerful plug play on the market today! :-o

Who I'm I kidding? It will never happen. :_(

• Like 1

It's time for the Flashback unit based around the Atari 8-bit computer/5200 (that this thread was started for back in Aug 2005) to see the light. I know the boys at Legacy basically have/had this done. It's Atari that closed the door on it.

Please Atari, open the door to this idea again. :D . . .

Ohhhh, Yes. And put sio pinouts on the motherboard, so sio2sd can be installed internally. And add an interface for an external keyboard.

To dreeeeam the impossible dreeeam.

My final analysis: it's ok, but I lean towards my FB2. While the FB3 has more games, the emulation is off IMHO. The FB2 is an actual Atari 2600, but the FB3 is an emulator inside a 2600-looking package. Plus the sounds on the games sounds higher than in their original versions.

Kittendaddy bought me one for Christmas this past year, and I haven't noticed the emulation issue or the sound issue... and believe me, I'm very familiar with the games on there, having played them for 30+ years or so! ;)

I will say this: I can't wait to see if Ben Heckendorn does a portable with this!

Eh. I must be the only one who thinks so, but for someone of his reputation, I find a lot of Heckendorn's stuff to be very amateurish. I thought his "Portable Jaguar" in particular looked like ass.

But anyway ... yes, I too would still love to see the real Flashback 3, the one based on the Atari 400/800 computer technology. I made my own humble attempt at a sales pitch to Atari over five years ago, but hopefully Legacy will someday find a way to bring it to fruition on their own, or perhaps through the newly-reformed Syzygy Company.

• 1 month later...

It does not have an SD card slot, that much I'm allowed to say. Don't ask anything else, I can't say anything as I'm under a very tight NDA.

why havent you responded in a almost a year..

is there going to be a FB III or are you going to come out with one of those PSP like looking things exept with atari no psp and touch screen and SD slot and usb this way it would be easy just get alibaba.com to make you one with games on it or you could load youre own they are portable and have joysticks built in play mp3's play mpegs and could have some built in games and you could download youre own games and it could be one of those promotional ones...... yeah there would be no joystick port but it would have SD slot.

anyway I know were not subposed to ask but its been almost a year.. and what the ? is NDA anyway ..

No, it will not, later revs will address game corrections and changes recommended... no hardware changes or SD slot. Maybe if they do an FB4, but not in the FB3.

As for my recommending/not recommending... I can't make any comments, instead reviewers have been contacted, they will get review units and publish reviews for people to read and decide on their purchase or not of the product, but its not my place.

Curt

I wish they'd pack in some paddles. Paddles are hard to find for the 2600 and I'd love to play Warlords again. Love the 2600 version of that game; didn't care for the arcade version and the 2600 version isn't included in the Xbox Live marketplace "pack"...

I have a lot of paddles also look on ebay ....... if you want a good pair I could list them I repaired them and they wont geek at all....

and what the ? is NDA anyway ..

NDA = Non Disclosure Agreement

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-disclosure_agreement

Edit: I forgot to add that the FB3 has already been released. If you search the forums you'll find out all about it, or just start here :-

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/189681-atari-flashback-3/

and what the ? is NDA anyway ..

NDA = Non Disclosure Agreement

http://en.wikipedia....osure_agreement

Edit: I forgot to add that the FB3 has already been released. If you search the forums you'll find out all about it, or just start here :-

http://www.atariage....ri-flashback-3/

No, not our FB3, the one discussed in this thread. That was a completely unrelated one Atari licensed the name off to a Taiwan firm for.

No, not our FB3, the one discussed in this thread. That was a completely unrelated one Atari licensed the name off to a Taiwan firm for.

Yep! But if Legacy Engineering (or others ;)) do a product in the future that is similar, it'll have to have another "code" name to avoid confusion in the marketplace.