IGNORED

FB3...

These were never ported to the A8 machines, either (with poss. exception of "SkyFox".) EA largely wrote off the A8 machines in 1985, and most of the games they released that year for our machines were...crap.

914561[/snapback]

Huh?

Archon, Archon II: Adept, M.U.L.E., Lords Of Conquest, Murder on the Zinderneuf,

One-On-One Basketball, Pinball Construction Set, Realm Of Impossibility, and

The Seven Cities Of Gold were crap?

:?

918138[/snapback]

My original comment still stands. "M.U.L.E.", "Murder on the Zinderneuf", "One-on-One Basketball", "Pinball Construction Set", and "The Seven Cities of Gold" are all great games...and they were all released in 1983 or 1984.

"Realm of Impossibility" was a so-so sequel to "Zombies". "Archon II" was O.K., but didn't stretch anyone's imagination. And who even played "Lords of Conquest"?

It's hardly news that EA spent minimal resources developing XE products, and they certainly didn't port over any marquee titles after the end of '84.

918181[/snapback]

Ahhh I see what you were saying. You were referring to titles after 84 that came out for the C64? As for lord's of conquest. A friend and I played that game to death! Especially the PC version!

Then your experience differs from mine. If you're posting on csa8 then you can get away with that, but at a gaming-heavy site like this "8-bit system" is uselessly vague.

913921[/snapback]

In my experience most people refer to the 2600 either as the 2600 or vcs.

The 7800 as the 7800.

Lynx as Lynx.

Jaguar as Jaguar.

Atari 8-bit computers as 8-bit atari's.

Atari ST as 16-bit atari or Atari ST.

So my guess would be your the only one confused by the terminology.

918113[/snapback]

That's what it seems like.

No: my original comment was in response to a poster who suggested that a given list of EA titles "for the A8" should be included in the FB3, and I was pointing out that most of those suggested titles never made it to the A8 in the first place. And my last comment was that EA didn't give A8 owners anything of interest 1985+, due to the fact that they dumped Atari 8-bit development in favour of the C64 and other platforms. Hope that clarifies things a little. :)

These were never ported to the A8 machines, either (with poss. exception of "SkyFox".) EA largely wrote off the A8 machines in 1985, and most of the games they released that year for our machines were...crap.

914561[/snapback]

Huh?

Archon, Archon II: Adept, M.U.L.E., Lords Of Conquest, Murder on the Zinderneuf,

One-On-One Basketball, Pinball Construction Set, Realm Of Impossibility, and

The Seven Cities Of Gold were crap?

:?

918138[/snapback]

My original comment still stands. "M.U.L.E.", "Murder on the Zinderneuf", "One-on-One Basketball", "Pinball Construction Set", and "The Seven Cities of Gold" are all great games...and they were all released in 1983 or 1984.

"Realm of Impossibility" was a so-so sequel to "Zombies". "Archon II" was O.K., but didn't stretch anyone's imagination. And who even played "Lords of Conquest"?

It's hardly news that EA spent minimal resources developing XE products, and they certainly didn't port over any marquee titles after the end of '84.

918181[/snapback]

Yeah, the golden era though for EA was definitely the 800 era. "M.U.L.E.", "Murder on the Zinderneuf", "One-on-One Basketball", "Pinball Construction Set" and "The Seven Cities of Gold" were absolute classics that transformed the industry. Then C64 got a couple years worth of games, then Amiga got a couple great years (the silver years?) and then the consoles moved in and it was all downhill from there.

Edited by retrocon

1985-1986 were the worst years for EA on the Atari 8-bit line.

Racing Destruction Set was a waste of time and only Mail Order Monsters + Lords Of Conquest weren't too bad (but these two conversions didn't show much care and polish unlike pre-1985 titles).

I'm still surprised Datasoft was releasing titles for the XL/XE as late as 1988 in the U.S.

AB.

No: my original comment was in response to a poster who suggested that a given list of EA titles "for the A8" should be included in the FB3, and I was pointing out that most of those suggested titles never made it to the A8 in the first place. And my last comment was that EA didn't give A8 owners anything of interest 1985+, due to the fact that they dumped Atari 8-bit development in favour of the C64 and other platforms. Hope that clarifies things a little.  :)

918200[/snapback]

Actually what threw me off was the statement

EA largely wrote off the A8 machines in 1985, and most of the games they released that year for our machines were...crap.

I realize now you were referring to the titles they released in 1985.

I think it is fairly obvious this thing is going to look like a 5200 and wont have a

keyboard. For those of you that think it is impossible to play games that use a

keyboard without one, you need look no further then the c64dtv.

I assume (and hope) it will be possible to add a keyboard and SIO devices like the

DTV if you are good with a solder iron.

I like the idea of having cartidges. I would totally get into that (especially if $5-7 dollar range with about 40 games each).

I think that there needs to be some easy way to load games from a PC or Mac. USB interface to the FB3 or a USB adapter to load games onto a "blank cartridge" would be interesting. If someone develops a good IDE then you'll have folks all over the world writing new games, etc. for it. I know there would be some legal concerns here and I'm not sure how best to handle (ideas anyone?), but I think the ability to load games (disk images and bins) from USB would make it a top seller. You could even sell ALL the games online and not even use cartidges.

Would be great if it could run 2600, 5600, 7800, 400, 800, 800XL games

My favorites:

400/800: Fort Apocalyspe, Blue Max

2600: Armor Ambush (all-time favorite), Pac Man, E.T. (not kidding, I miss the little guy), Demon Attack, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Empire Strikes Back, Race/Indy 500 w/paddles (racing on ice is awesome)

And please sell the paddles and the joysticks on their own or include both in the package. Paddle games rock, and I think a lot of folks wouldn't bother to buy old ones from an online seller.

Packaging a keyboard with it would not be that great of an idea imo. Would be too bulky if was large enough to be practical. I don't see myself or my daughter laying on the carpet typing on the FB3, but who knows...

And on a totally separate topic... I vote for vector arcade classics on the FB4!

BTW - Curt, you rock!

I'd certainly like to see this an A800/5200 system - not the 2600/7800 systems, there's far too few 7800 titles even including the licenced titles an Atari released console most likely won't have.

I'd like to see a USB flashcard port so you can download and transfer games from the web to it, there's tons of A800 titles including basic/demos/and PD at sites like atarimania.com

A removable keyboard is essential as many programs require it, even several of the games. And go with the regular joystick ports like the 8-bit computers and not those 5200 sticks, compatible with 2600/7800/FB2 systems. Four of them like the 400 and 800 had!

whatever shows up I'm sure I'll like it :D

The Stella Gets a New Brain CD needs to find its way onto one of those mini carts.

Since I'm the biggest Starpath fanboy there is, I'd have to buy a FB3 and that collection to maintain my form.

922140[/snapback]

Am I imagining things, or was Polo (hidden on the Stella GANB CD) also supposed to be hidden on the Flashback 2 someplace?

Would be great if it could run 2600, 5600, 7800, 400, 800, 800XL games

922008[/snapback]

Ugh... Correction: 5200 not 5600, and add XE. :roll:

Also, Castle Wolfenstein would be awesome to have on it, although I think it requires keyboard input.

922837[/snapback]

the 400/800/xl/xe/5200 are pretty much the same hardware.

Judging from the game selection of the Flashback 2, do any of you really think they're done with the 2600 just yet?

914994[/snapback]

Thomas asked about testing cart based games, etc. on FB2, and Curt shot it down as not necessary - the FB3 will not be 2600 based.

And if I had to guess a form-factor, I'd say mini-5200. I can't see them going with a real keyboard and I especially don't see them going with a fake keyboard.

I'd also like to guess pads for SIO port, pads for standard ps/2 keyboard, 3rd party cartridge converter for whichever ROM type is supported (prefer A8 over 5200 myself).

If I were to have any input, I would wish for an easy way to attach to a VGA monitor - but that's probably right out. Guess I'll have to "settle" for super-clean composite :)

Edited by Joe Stella

• 2 weeks later...

okay, we're all getting waaaaay ahead of ourselves here. That kind of info will start to become more available in Spring/Summer 06' So lets just take a step back here for a bit.

Curt

So? What are the games? :ponder:

937728[/snapback]

Well, any official announcement needs to come from Curt. I would imagine he won't be making a list available for a while.

937769[/snapback]

I keep telling everyone, it's just going to be chopped up Nolan Bushnell in a box. But noooooo...........nobody wants to listen. A 5200 shaped mini-coffin, the CX-5200 FB3 aka "Soylent Green".

Marty

okay, we're all getting waaaaay ahead of ourselves here.    That kind of info will start to become more available in Spring/Summer 06'  So lets just take a step back here for a bit.

Curt

So? What are the games? :ponder:

937728[/snapback]

Well, any official announcement needs to come from Curt. I would imagine he won't be making a list available for a while.

937769[/snapback]

938024[/snapback]

I keep telling everyone, it's just going to be chopped up Nolan Bushnell in a box.  But noooooo...........nobody wants to listen.  A 5200 shaped mini-coffin, the CX-5200 FB3 aka "Soylent Green".

Thanks for painting that picture for us Marty. I now have visual in my mind of Charlton Heston screaming "It's made of people! Flashback 3 is made of people!"

Hmmm... I suddenly have an idea for a new avatar..... :)