IGNORED

FB3...

everything on the FB2 is 2/3 scale of the original.  However my guess is that the games will be on tiny cards, not 2/3 scale cartridges.  Then again, who knows.

915193[/snapback]

I'd love to see the carts sold in little Lynx-type packages. They could probably even reproduce the original box art and documentation (albeit at a smaller scale).

LOL so get a Krokodile Cartridge.

But I want it all in one big Atari piece :(

What's with those things? They're for the PC right? I have a mac :P

I'm believing the FB3 will be another 2600+ system with 5 games on each cart and they will be selling like pokemon cards from a few years back! (I'll be catching them all!  )

Mmm...kinda, I guess :|

I'm believing the FB3 will be another 2600+ system with 5 games on each cart and they will be selling like pokemon cards from a few years back! (I'll be catching them all!  )

Mmm...kinda, I guess :|

915228[/snapback]

Think of it this way... you buy the system that has a pile of games built into it or comes with a 20 in one cart and then you can buy more maybe in the 5-10 game range for $10 a pop! They can make them in tiny shrunnk down Atari 2600 carts with a list of the 5-10 games on it. They could ship them in Atari Lynx sized boxes and start with 10 different sets of games.

They could also allow companies like Activision to make their own packages like they did back in the day!

I don't think there's anything wrong with this plan.. in fact it would be a pretty good way to make money from the old stuff and get new gamers involved at a budget pricepoint! Homebrews would attract the vets (unless they poop out more of the jumpy stuff I've heard about) and people wouldn't pause to consider spending $50 for a system and a few multicarts, especially when comparing it to $60 360 games and a $3-400 system! (It may seem unfair to an avid gamer but for parents who are buying stuff for most kids this is a snap decision!)

I'm excited about the FB2 and will snap it up when it comes out here and I will play it heavily. I hope it lasts me long enough until the FB3 comes out!

One last thing to add regarding the Flashback 3. How could it be a computer or even the 5200? I mean if there was one thing that people would think of when they 'flashed back' to the 80's it was the Atari 2600... plain and simple. I'm of the firm belief that's what we will get. Just my nickel's worth (Us Canadian's have to pay more for our 2 cents! :) )

Curt - If you need a playtester for the new system, I'm available!! :D

...(modded for joystick use, of course).  :)

915261[/snapback]

You are just kidding, right? :ponder:

915276[/snapback]

Er, I should have said "as long as it's properly licensed too, of course!" ;)

915292[/snapback]

I think he was referring to the fact that the games are best suited for paddles and couldn't really be enjoyed with the regular joystick.

I wouldn't mind a new system with new carts at all...I just wanted another 2600 on a chip with a mountain of 2600 games on it.

I thought the next Flashback was gonna be a 2600 with a SHITLOAD of games, a PILE of homebrews, AND the ability to take on new carts. I really like the graphic and sound style of the 2600.

But apparently this is gonna be a different platform :|

Edited by sidcrowe

Well, after talking to Curt Vendel at the America's Game eXpo in Dallas, I know that the Flashback 2 is going to have a couple more versions coming out soon. Think tiny controllers that can fit on a keychain, but can hook up to a TV and play real games...... :D

That, and the new Atari Fossil watches that were on display out at the show, are the things I'm most looking forward to. Asteroids playing on the face of a watch. :lust:

Any reason why some people are advocating the use of the 800 and not the 800XL? Also, good A8 games aren't necessarily pre-1985 titles or from the US... 

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

914735[/snapback]

MULE and 4 joysticks

915277[/snapback]

Um.. Mule on an XL works just fine for four players. yes, you have to share sticks. I don't think Atari is going to release another 4 port game system. The last was the 2800/SVAII wasn't it?

...(modded for joystick use, of course).  :)

915261[/snapback]

You are just kidding, right? :ponder:

915276[/snapback]

Er, I should have said "as long as it's properly licensed too, of course!" ;)

915292[/snapback]

I think he was referring to the fact that the games are best suited for paddles and couldn't really be enjoyed with the regular joystick.

915300[/snapback]

I know. :)

Well, after talking to Curt Vendel at the America's Game eXpo in Dallas, I know that the Flashback 2 is going to have a couple more versions coming out soon. Think tiny controllers that can fit on a keychain, but can hook up to a TV and play real games...... :D

That, and the new Atari Fossil watches that were on display out at the show, are the things I'm most looking forward to. Asteroids playing on the face of a watch.  :lust:

915375[/snapback]

Yeah, it was great being able to speak to Curt today. I was glad to be able to meet him in person, and hear about Flashback 2's different versions.

Flashback 2 should be a huge item for this holiday season coming soon!!

I couldn't keep my eyes off those watches either! :D

That's already been done, by Glenn the 5200 man (not me). Might as well "beat the boots" so to speak, and just use those BINs.

Homebrews for existing 5200s are fine but to me there is no reason to rerelease the 5200. Just rerelease an A8 that can play modified 5200 ROMs. Whether you market it as a 5200 or not is up to the marketing department. if it doesn't accomodate 5200 carts then it can just as well be an A8.

As for the 5200, why not go the other way around ... take the handful of outstanding 5200 games that weren't on the A8 first and modify them for the A8 architecture/controllers?  The 5200 isn't nearly as recognizable a platform: it was only on the market for two years or so, while the A8 series was sold and supported for over ten years.

Yes, it's a nice enough design, but the beauty is all in the details. Step back a bit though, and all you really have is a rectangular box. The 800, on the other hand, is a distinctly shaped finely-sculpted piece of work. Atari really had some ace industrial designers on staff back then.

The 800 looks a lot like an electric typewriter, which I'm sure was deliberate as a way of easing people into using computers.

at800_2.jpg

sel_br.jpg

It's cool in a heavy-sixer sort of way, but it is more dated than the XLs.

The brushed aluminum buttons and LEDs give the XL a classier, more contemporary look. I think the 800XL reminds me too much of the C=64. That family of design looks better with a larger case like the 1200XL, or where it is just one slanted surface like the 2600 Jr. and the 7800.

1200.JPG

The design I would (metaphorically) kill for.. would be a FB system that combined 2600, 5200/Atari4-800, and 7800 with a form of cartridge access for all three. That's EXTREMELY pipe dream though, but I'd be willing to pay a bit more than an FB2 to get one.

...and then I'd hook the CC2 up to it. :)

These watches sound VERY INTERESTING!  Anybody manage to snap a picture of one of these things?

Well, the manufacturer did--

http://www.fossil.com/shopping/product/det...8&keyword=atari

915507[/snapback]

Wow! Thanks for the link... now I have to say that looks like an amazing watch! I wonder if the animation is a 5 minute looped kind of deal or if it's some sort of random gameplay. :ponder:

As for the FB3... perhaps a multiplatform system would be the way to go! Afterall, the first flashback was a multiplatform system (although it was a NES on a chip, it did feature 2 system's game in the 2600 and 7800)

Will we ever see Crazy Climber on a Flashback unit? Or is there licensing issues with that one?

Any reason why some people are advocating the use of the 800 and not the 800XL? Also, good A8 games aren't necessarily pre-1985 titles or from the US... 

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

914735[/snapback]

MULE and 4 joysticks

915277[/snapback]

Um.. Mule on an XL works just fine for four players. yes, you have to share sticks. I don't think Atari is going to release another 4 port game system. The last was the 2800/SVAII wasn't it?

915401[/snapback]

how would the land auction work, What about when four people are all fighing for 6 foods. Whoever has the joystick at the time automaticly wins?

..hmm....8bit Atari..smells like a bomb, sad to say!...I mean, those of us here will truly appreciate and buy such a product, but what's the mainstream going to think of it?

People buy the old Atari stuff cause it sold like wildfire and was a truly unique system of it's time.

What everyday Joe at Walmart is going to say, Hey!...I LOVED the Atari 800!!...I'll buy this!!!

I can't see the higherups in any company ok'ing such a move. I'm sure it could be a great product (done well, not like FB1), but it'll be niche.

Give it a side effect of FULL 2600 compatablility, and I'm interested.

how would the land auction work,  What about when four people are all fighing for 6 foods.  Whoever has the joystick at the time automaticly wins?

915608[/snapback]

On the C64 version of M.U.L.E., two of the players use joysticks, one uses [iIRC] Q and Z, and the other uses two keys on the right half of the keyboard. When the keyboard player needs to "go to town", he borrows either joystick.