IGNORED

Success with 5200 BASIC?

Jess Ragan

Has anyone managed to make a functional game with the 5200 BASIC compiler that was released a few years back? I had considered creating a game called Jess Your Luck (based on the cheesy game show from the 1980's) but I found the syntax of the language confusing, and eventually decided against it.

JR

Has anyone managed to make a functional game with the 5200 BASIC compiler that was released a few years back?  I had considered creating a game called Jess Your Luck (based on the cheesy game show from the 1980's) but I found the syntax of the language confusing, and eventually decided against it.

I think Combat II Advanced, Haunted House II 3-D, and KLAX were written with 5200BAS but I'm not 100% sure.

Has anyone managed to make a functional game with the 5200 BASIC compiler that was released a few years back?  I had considered creating a game called Jess Your Luck (based on the cheesy game show from the 1980's) but I found the syntax of the language confusing, and eventually decided against it.

JR

914434[/snapback]

My only complaint about 5200bas is that it is not open source, or at least I can't find any source for it. I'd like to see the source code for it so I can see how the programmer did certain things and use what I learn to improve batari Basic... But alas :(

JR

914434[/snapback]

My only complaint about 5200bas is that it is not open source, or at least I can't find any source for it. I'd like to see the source code for it so I can see how the programmer did certain things and use what I learn to improve batari Basic... But alas :(

914842[/snapback]

Don't feel too bad, Batari. When it comes to ease of use, Batari BASIC spanks Calamari's creation pretty hard. I compiled my first program with Bb in thirty minutes. It's been years since I first tried 5200 Basic and the only thing I've gotten out of it is unending frustration.

JR

• 4 weeks later...

I used 5200Basic to write "JumPong" (comes in the "Jum52" Atari 5200 emulator download).

As far as I remember it worked pretty well, and you could mix assembler code with the basic code.

The basic code was quite low-level, for performance reasons, and was compiled into assembler which was then complied using DASM.

I haven't tried Batari Basic, so I can't compare.

- jum