IGNORED

New Raster Music Tracker - RMT 1.21

raster/c.p.u.

Hot news

22.8.2005 ... RMT 1.21 tracker with enhanced mouse control etc.

You can get it from the RMT website.

Changes in RMT 1.21

-------------------

- Enhanced mouse control:

* Set cursor position in trackedit area, songedit area,

instrument parameters / envelope / table area, info / speed area.

* Octave selection by mouse (click to "OCTAVE x-y" text).

* Volume selection by mouse (click to "VOLUME x" text).

(Also you can turn on/off "respect volume" option there.)

* Instrument selection by mouse (click to "XX: instrument name" text).

* Envelope GO/LEN parameter setting area (click to mouse L/R button).

* Table GO/LEN parameter setting area (click to mouse L/R button).

(Areas' locations - see the screenshots.)

- New hotkeys:

SongEdit:

* Enter ... Exit from SongEdit section.

* Home ... Move cursor to first songline.

* End ... Move cursor to last songline.

* PageUp ... Move cursor 4 songlines up.

* PageDown ... Move cursor 4 songlines down.

- New option in Config dialog (menu View - Configuration):

* Don't use hardware soundbuffer

(default is off).

(Maybe it could help if you have some system sound related problems.)

Edited by raster/c.p.u.

Hey all :) long time no post!

RMT 1.21 tracker with enhanced mouse control etc.

That's great! any of these type of new additions to the control are welcome, all makes it nicer to use.

BTW. Emkay is not the only one using RMT regularly I'm sure! (Keep up with the work on the new instruments Emkay). I'm using RMT a lot these past couple of years too. We will soon all have a good set of instruments to include along with Raster's in the RMT download for all composers to utilise.

Maybe one day we will see a new angle with A8 composition tools. Raster has created RMT for "pure" Pokey music. It would be good to also see the development of a tracker beyond Pokey, like we have seen with sweity's soft synth. Maybe to have the choice between creating the relatively CPU light "straight" Pokey for in-game music and CPU heavy "soft" (or partial soft) routines for title screen music ... it's been mentioned before several times here in the forum, maybe one day it will happen.

keep up the good work everyone.

C U :D Tezz

BTW. Emkay is not the only one using RMT regularly I'm sure! (Keep up with the work on the new instruments Emkay).

916447[/snapback]

If one tells me how ;)

I have already done everything possible PLUS "trial & error" by changing an instruments setting and playing it in the external emulation or on the real thing.

The tune listened in RMT itself makes you think you hear another remix of it. SAP doesn't play it correctly, too.

BTW: Listening to the main voice, someone may recognize a metallic "attack" of the instrument & and a very clean & nice release time . It sounds "high", but it's done with 15 khz. It's a nice "feature" of POKEY, to give someting like "low frequency oscillation" on deeper notes.

Yes indeed, the results of inacurate reproduction produce unpredictable differences which make it difficult or imposible to work with. To me, all my tests sound different in RMT and 800win and in sap player from the real hardware however, with emulation problems aside, there are difficulties too in creating a dynamic instrument which allows for the correct tonal range, in other words, most of the instruments are noticably out of tune. Particularly with "bass" tones

BTW: Listening to the main voice, someone may recognize a metallic "attack" of the instrument & and a very clean & nice release time . It sounds "high", but it's done with 15 khz. It's a nice "feature" of POKEY, to give someting like "low frequency oscillation" on deeper notes.
yes, this is particularly nice with the LFO. It is this deeper dynamic range that makes for a much more interesting and fully rounded track.

I think that ultimately the actual composition of the song is the most important thing. That seems obvious but what I mean is that for instance, most of the favourite A8 tracks such as Adam Gilmore, Robb and D.Whitaker are good songs rather than technically brilliant but, of course the holly grail of really good tracks incorporates both. The multitude of great C64 SID tracks has this which is why they are easily the most popular of any platform. The Pokey is still underused and not exploited to the full, it has it's own sound and posibilities. The recent development tools such as RMT are bringing new possibilities, it is great that we can tweak around the Pokey settings with a tracker and test and trial sounds without coding. It will be great if/when the emulation is acurate and also when new developments allow new possibilities but until then we can keep trying our own tests with trial and error and patience we will in due course create something good. Look how much better your hardsynth tests are now from your earlier tests like your latest test with 'mux.

I would like to finish the tracks that I have been working on which really just need to be dressed with a few more dynamic ellements. The instruments that I have created, I'm not happy with the lower notes, some tones work well then some keys are off, it seems the same for other composers RMT tracks. Could you post the RMT for your testsong? I would like to see the instrument settings.

:) Tezz

Yes indeed, the results of inacurate reproduction produce unpredictable differences which make it difficult or imposible to work with. To me, all my tests sound different in RMT and 800win and in sap player from the real hardware however, with emulation problems aside, there are difficulties too in creating a dynamic instrument which allows for the correct tonal range, in other words, most of the instruments are noticably out of tune. Particularly with "bass" tones

We have two chances to gain full POKEY support for RMT.

1st : An emulation with POKEY type (simulating capacitors) interpolation.

It may sound paradox, but especially the deeper notes are suffering by the missed capacitor-simulation.

2nd: A finalizing Tool on the real machine

After importing/editing the main tune, a tool on the real thing could help fine-tuning the almost finished song.

I think that ultimately the actual composition of the song is the most important thing. That seems obvious but what I mean is that for instance, most of the favourite A8 tracks such as Adam Gilmore, Robb and D.Whitaker are good songs rather than technically brilliant but, of course the holly grail of really good tracks incorporates both.

Which can be only reached on the real thing. Perhaps, when some "full POKEY using tunes" are available, the emulation can be fully corrected. (having them as examples).

The multitude of great C64 SID tracks has this which is why they are easily the most popular of any platform. The Pokey is still underused and not exploited to the full, it has it's own sound and posibilities.

... and C64 can now play 4 channel PCM :roll:

@Analmux: It seems that those four channels are done using one timer

Perhaps examining the code will show the solution for having tunes with 2 Hardsynth & 2 Softsynth voices at the same time.

The recent development tools such as RMT are bringing new possibilities, it is great that we can tweak around the Pokey settings with a tracker and test and trial sounds without coding. It will be great if/when the emulation is acurate and also when new developments allow new possibilities but until then we can keep trying our own tests with trial and error and patience we will in due course create something good. Look how much better your hardsynth tests are now from your earlier tests like your latest test with 'mux.

Seem I'm learning doing music by fiddling around with RMT ;)

Ofcourse... Without RMT it would not be so easy to build new sounds.

I would like to finish the tracks that I have been working on which really just need to be dressed with a few more dynamic ellements. The instruments that I have created, I'm not happy with the lower notes, some tones work well then some keys are off, it seems the same for other composers RMT tracks. Could you post the RMT for your testsong? I would like to see the instrument settings.

:) Tezz

916561[/snapback]

Does it make sense?

The only thing I am not satisfied within this song is the volume-floating.

Another thing is the "taste" of the tune.

So, if you want to try with your taste ;) ...

Here the original:

http://www.modarchive.com/cgi-bin/download.cgi/R/rumble.mod

Thanks Emkay, I'll have a look into your creation and see if I can learn anything new. ;)

Seem I'm learning doing music by fiddling around with RMT
:) Yes, it's always the best way... I only wish I had more free time

1st : An emulation with POKEY type (simulating capacitors) interpolation.

It may sound paradox, but especially the deeper notes are suffering by the missed capacitor-simulation.

That's an interesting concept. that would be very acurate emulation indeed. Is anyone up to such a programming challenge? There sure are some very tallented coders out there on the Atari scene so maybe we will see such a thing happen.

Love your recent G2fs by the way :cool: , I must post some of mine to Tebe for the Gallery too. We have greater results with our graphics than with our sounds it would seem !

Tezz