IGNORED

Should I release Alpha 0.3 now?

batari

Hello,

I'm basically finished with the programming for bB 0.3a except for vdub_bobby's multisprite kernel. The C programming is easier to me than the 2600 kernels and integrating them into bB, so I end up doing all of the C programming first. I imagine it will take me another week or so to get vdub's kernel fully integrated, but the rest of bB is ready now.

I wonder if I should release now or wait until the new kernel is in place. If I release now, it will probably take a little longer for the next release because there will likely be new bugs discovered that will need to be fixed, since there are a lot of new features that haven't been tested much.

Anyway, let me know. Here's what's been done since Alpha 0.2 by the way:

standard kernel now has the ball

8.8 and 4.4 fixed point types

- automatic conversion from one type to another in assignments

- addition/subtraction routines do automatic conversion if multiple types are used

- immediate decimal numbers allowed, either negative or positive

- 8.8 types can be used wherever integers are used

- 4.4 can't be used anywhere but can be added/subtracted/assigned to other types

data statement length keyword

remove trailing commas from data statements

set optimization for size/speed

full divide/multiply

- optional: multiply can produce a16-bit result or divide can produce remainder

bit operations - assign one bit to another

for-next loop bug fixed (foward loops by step >1 ended too soon)

"else" allowed in if-thens

Able to set the filename of variable alias file

set ROM size to 2k or 4k

smartbranching now accessed via set instead of rem

REFPX bug fixed

uses includes file for spcifying kernels and organizing modules

include additional modules with include command

pfread function (determine if pixel is off or on)

fixed bug in decreasing for-next loops

function declaration for user functions:

- functions can be in bB or asm

- optinally can be compiled separately and included as modules

score=score+ var now supports vars other than a-z

fixed bugs in if-thens for bit reads

longer variable names allowed (50 chars max.)

allow arrays as arguments in all functions (in user functions or built-in

fns like pfpixel)

improved error handling/reporting:

- more descriptive errors

- line in file now echoed

const statement for defining constants

optimized code

fixed < and > comparisons, and added <= and >=

fixed collision checks

used lex to help with parsing/preprocessing

score=score-1 bug fixed

fixed bogus gosub/return errors

on...goto now allows labels instead of just linenumbers

allow negative numbers in code

Edited by batari

I can't wait to have the gosub problem fixed as well as a few other things. I haven't done much of anything since I have been waiting for the gosub problem to be fixed. I would have to know what vdub_bobby's multisprite kernel is before I gave a thumbs up or thumbs down though. Is it about multiple sprites or multicolored sprites? If it's colors, I could wait another week or so.

I have an extra question. No matter what you decide to do, will it work with the IDE or will that have to be updated?

I can't wait to have the gosub problem fixed as well as a few other things. I haven't done much of anything since I have been waiting for the gosub problem to be fixed. I would have to know what vdub_bobby's multisprite kernel is before I gave a thumbs up or thumbs down though. Is it about multiple sprites or multicolored sprites? If it's colors, I could wait another week or so.

I have an extra question. No matter what you decide to do, will it work with the IDE or will that have to be updated?

916086[/snapback]

Multiple sprites. Multicolored sprite kernels will come later, and will be based on existing kernels but have a ball or a missiles or two removed to free up enough cycles for the colors. This will be a couple of revisions down the line.

Also, yes, 2600IDE does work with 0.3a, but not right out of the box because the 2600baside.bat file needs a couple of lines changed. I'll post an updated 2600baside.bat file to the 2600IDE thread when I release 0.3a.

Multiple sprites.  Multicolored sprite kernels will come later, and will be based on existing kernels but have a ball or a missiles or two removed to free up enough cycles for the colors.  This will be a couple of revisions down the line.

Also, yes, 2600IDE does work with 0.3a, but not right out of the box because the 2600baside.bat file needs a couple of lines changed.  I'll post an updated 2600baside.bat file to the 2600IDE thread when I release 0.3a.

916095[/snapback]

Thanks, then I vote for now. It would be nice to get started using the version that has fewer bugs. If I had to pick one command, I would say gosub is my favorite, so getting rid of the gosub bug is near the top of my wish list.

I was gonna say, "Don't rush the release... take your time and get it done right," but Tom goes bring up a good point. If there ARE bugs in the code, you'd have a better chance of finding them with two dozen playtesters instead of just one.

Whatever you decide to do, you've got my support. I'm just wondering how you'll use Vdub's sprite kernal... what will the limitations be on the extra sprites? Will they be able to move independantly of the first two sprites, or will they mimic their onscreen movement?

JR

I was gonna say, "Don't rush the release... take your time and get it done right," but Tom goes bring up a good point.  If there ARE bugs in the code, you'd have a better chance of finding them with two dozen playtesters instead of just one.

Whatever you decide to do, you've got my support.  I'm just wondering how you'll use Vdub's sprite kernal... what will the limitations be on the extra sprites?  Will they be able to move independantly of the first two sprites, or will they mimic their onscreen movement?

JR

916112[/snapback]

I can almost guarantee that the code will have bugs.

I guess I'll work up a release then - I just need to finish up documenting the new features, and I'll package everything and post probably late Monday evening.

Vdub's kernel has six sprites, two missiles and the ball, but the tradeoff is that the playfield is symmetric. Each sprite has its own color, NUSIZ, height, X and Y coordinates.

You can position one sprite anywhere with no limitations, but the other five have vertical placement limitations. You can assign whatever Y-coordinate you want to each of these five sprites but if any overlap on the same horizontal line, then all or part of the sprite will not be displayed.

At some point in the future I might update the kernel to automatically flicker any sprites that would overlap but it will take a while before I do this.

I'm all for a release as well, but am not time sensitive. We have a nice body of code to compile now in search for bugs.

I'm going to probably rewrite Ooze to work with 0.3. Hoping some of the new features will let me scrunch the code down to free some room to really complete the game. I won't get to that for a little while yet. I'm up for some quick testing of new things however. The eariler they are fixed the sooner we move on to bigger and better things.

I'm in favor of an earlier release. (Maybe the new kernal could be a V.35, or V.3b) Some of the fixes are pretty fundamental things that will have a positive impact on the perceived reliability and functionality of the language.

Should the use of lex improve the "blank line with space = poison" type problem? That's one that keeped biting me. (Partially because Textpad tends to preserve the tabination of the previous line)

Also, was there talk about a list of keywords and reserved words? I'd like to make a Textpad Syntax file to highlight all the special words in color as I code...

Should the use of lex improve the "blank line with space = poison" type problem? That's one that keeped biting me. (Partially because Textpad tends to preserve the tabination of the previous line)

Yep - the parsing is very good now. Probably not bulletproof yet, but still good. I've just barely scratched the surface of what lex can do.

Also, was there talk about a list of keywords and reserved words? I'd like to make a Textpad Syntax file to highlight all the special words in color as I code...

916284[/snapback]

Yes, and I did promise this but got sidetracked. After the release later tonight I will start on it - it will be a good break from programming for a couple of evenings.

I'm in favor of an earlier release.  (Maybe the new kernal could be a V.35, or V.3b)  Some of the fixes are pretty fundamental things that will have a positive impact on the perceived reliability and functionality of the language.

916284[/snapback]

I am also a user of TEXTPAD, maybe the greatest tool I have ever used!

( I quess that is for people that use very large files anyway! )

If you make the syntax file will you post it? Please :)

Batari, great work! I am looking forward to additional sprites etc.

I never thought I would be able to even make "Hello World" for the atari 2600

But now I may have a game put together in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the "stepping stone", but at the moment for me it is the development

environment I need to use. I hope to learn some ASM as I go.

Be well,

Geno