IGNORED

Kid Vid Controller

atarimind

So there is no replacement to the Kid Vid controller, right?

917777[/snapback]

The KidVid is basically a glorified tape deck with a special cable to plug it into the Atari joystick port. Whether you can substitute a standard tape deck has been debated in the past and I don't know if anyone has actually ever tested it or not.

Mitch

Is there any other controller that can replace this to play the Coleco games? If not, how much are these controllers usually go on ebay? Anyone happen to know who can sell them?

Thanks!

916470[/snapback]

I do not know how the Kidvid communicates with the game other than the fact that the cable has two jacks on one side - one headphone and one even smaller - and the other side plugs into the second joystick port of the 2600. Perhaps someone could explain how it works? I could be wrong, but however it communicates, I'm sure there was something out there using the same technology. I just dug out a Tandy trs-80 cassette deck from the basement and noticed that it has the same size jacks on the side, but instead of the smaller one being "game" it is "rem", and the spacing is such that you can't just use the original Kidvid cable. However, I will try to test it out today. If anyone is more familiar with the Kidvid or the trs-80 deck, they might be able to tell us immediately if the "rem" jack is the equivalent of "game" on the Kidvid. Unfortunately I don't even know if this trs-80 deck still works, but I will keep you posted.

Basically, what you're looking for is a tape deck that has a speaker/headphone output, and a jack slightly smaller (in this case labelled "game"). I would recommend looking at portable cassette decks for different consoles/computers/etc, and also try to find a pinout of the Kidvid cable (or look for one - the joystick side says "Coleco" on it and the other says nothing, just has the two audio/data plugs). I would be suprised if the Kidvid was designed in such a way that it was not possible to use something else with a little elbow grease.

Edited by JStoll

I believe you'll find the headphone jack on the kid vid cable is for stereo, so unless your trs-80 tape deck is stereo it won't work properly IMO.

Somewhere, a while back, I read that the tapes are in stereo with one channel for the audio sound and the other the data (the beeps and pops) for the VCS. So, you might be able to substitute a walkman with a remote jack or something similar.

Then again I could be wrong. :?

Also, since I've never used one of these, does the sound come from the tape deck speaker or is it somehow piped through the TV?

Any tape deck with remote dictation function will work. The cable is only used to send signal to and from the ATARI to tell the system when to advance the game play screens. Sound is all out of the tape deck speaker for the data part it's all out the 2 jacks. Here is how to build your own cable as ANY old dictation capable tape deck will work, also attached is a pic of the one I built for myself and some other goodies you might want.

de42b302.jpgghjhj.jpg

sm-cas01.jpg

08-08-2005040611PM.jpg

sm-slv01.jpg

sm-slv02.jpg

sm-slv03.jpg

Cheers & Fave Fun,

Shawn Sr.

Edited by silver_surfer

And how about the joystick? Can you use a standard joystick in port 1? If this is thecase, the only hard thing to get is the cable (I am assuming that finding an old tape deck on eBay shouldn't be difficult).

918630[/snapback]

Yes, just a standard joystick is fine.

Mitch

• 14 years later...
On 8/25/2005 at 2:43 PM, Shawn said:

Any tape deck with remote dictation function will work. The cable is only used to send signal to and from the ATARI to tell the system when to advance the game play screens. Sound is all out of the tape deck speaker for the data part it's all out the 2 jacks. Here is how to build your own cable as ANY old dictation capable tape deck will work, also attached is a pic of the one I built for myself and some other goodies you might want.

de42b302.jpgghjhj.jpg

sm-cas01.jpg

08-08-2005040611PM.jpg

sm-slv01.jpg

sm-slv02.jpg

sm-slv03.jpg

Cheers & Fave Fun,

Shawn Sr.

Necro-bump!

Is this schematics still available, @shaun? Thank you!