IGNORED

Magiccard scored at CGE!

swlovinist

I am one lucky person, at Classic Gaming Expo, I scored Magiccard for a mere $100! here is the pic of the game in my collection. I just wanted to share with you atari guys the score of a lifetime. I doubt I will ever see one again!

http://videogamecollectors.com/gallery/noi...ofdoom/DSCF0219

:rolling:

Dammit, man! Do you ever go ANYWHERE without scoring something insane?

Everyone, let me introduce you to a friend of mine. He's the kind of guy that walks into thrift stores and finds Neo Geo home carts for $10. Yes, it's ok to hate him. He doesn't mind :D

Who was the seller?  Any info.?

:ponder:

917170[/snapback]

The CGE auuction.

He won the second "Box-o-Crap" auctioned off there. I almost bid.... Dammit, now I wish I would have. Bidders were bidding on a box of unknown contents. The CGE organizers put together 2 such packages to keep things interesting at the CGE auction, which, as anybody who as attended in the past knows, are pure fun and excitement :D

Last year soemone bid an outrageous amount for a bottle of beer. Many of teh proceeds goto charity.

-Lee

Here is what I do know. This cart came from Joe Santulli's personal collection. The proceedes of the auction went to help with the Special Olympics. I am having some trouble finding information on the label variant, as others I have done research on do not have the cover I am showing in the picture. Is there anyone else on this site that can help me out?

Here is what I do know.  This cart came from Joe Santulli's personal collection.  The proceedes of the auction went to help with the Special Olympics.

The only problem with this, is why didn't they just list it for what it was instead of making a mystery box out of it? Seems if they wanted to help the Special Olympics, they would have done better listing in the open?

I realize the mystery box-o-craps are suppose to be fun for the auction and all, but come on a $1000 cart for $100!, when the other mystery lot was worth maybe $100 tops. Maybe they were not thinking of the special olympics as much as the guests in attendance, the guys doing the bidding that is.

Not trying to take away from your win or anything, I read about it over on DP, and thought wow, that's crazy, but man they could have packed some less CommaVids in there like Cosmic Swarm & Room o Doom, and maybe one of their custom Rush Hour repos, and still made a nice package, worth the winning bid. Who do they expect to bid a mystery box-o-crap up to a grand?! Kind of lost money in the name of special olympics. :?

Edited by video game addict

The only problem with this, is why didn't they just list it for what it was instead of making a mystery box out of it? Seems if they wanted to help the Special Olympics, they would have done better listing in the open?

917480[/snapback]

One motivating factor for "mystery box" auctions may be that the seller lacks the expertise to know what things are, or to stand behind any claims as to what they are. Especially with estate sales, the provenance or quality of items may be dodgy. If a collector sells me a Qbert's Qubes and it turns out to be a pirate, I can rightfully blame the seller. But if an estate sale company sells what appears to be a Qbert's Qubes from a decedent's estate and it turns out to be fake, the seller may not really be to blame, and the blameworthy party won't be around to take responsibility.

By avoiding any particular representation as to what's in a mystery lot, a seller can avoid any claims of misrepresentation. Although some sellers may be prepared to accept such risks in exchange for getting paid more, others simply want to get the stuff sold with as little hassle as possible.

It may have been a dead one that Sean fixed & they decided to throw in a mystery box instead of risking selling by itself.. Of course if that was the case, they could have just said it was broken, but repaired, and let the bidding begin. It still would have fetched more than $100. I just think if they had of planned things out better, they would have put the $1000 cart by itself on the table to auction & make mystery boxes less pricy. A mixed lot of items valued at $200-300 range, that may not bring as much in one lot, but still nice items on their own, would have still been a bargin at $100. They may have no way of knowing just how high the bidding will go, but they got to know it's probably not going to be hitting anywhere near the value of a Magicard. I think when charity is at stake they should better think these things out..

I think you're missing the point by only concentrating on this box. You have to look at the whole picture. Someone said that last year a bottle of beer went for way more than its value. The idea is that the winner *could* end up with a great deal by getting something far more valuable than the final bid amount or *could* end up getting nothing. It makes the process more exciting, creates great stories/memories, and virtually assures that next year's mystery boxes will go for more than they did this year.

I think it's fantastic that they give the proceeds to charity. I certainly don't see anything wrong with what they are doing even if in the long run the value of the items end up being worth more than the total of the bids.

Except there won't be a next year. :(

Also not all proceeds are going to charity. The auction is open to anyone, assuming they have something worth auctioning off. Anyone who allows CGE to auction their goods has to pay $2 to charity, and can offer more if they want to. But that is totally up to them. So maybe 5-6 auctions are put up by the CGE guys, with all proceeds going to charity. Maybe they raise $800 total. And another 25-30 auctions are put up by individuals attending CGE, who each pay $2. Another $50-60. (more if any choose to donate after their auction sells) I just think they could have raised more money on a single auction than the whole auction as a whole if they had of pulled that one out of the box.

Ultimately it's Classic Gaming Expo, and the auction is for the people at CGE. The CGE guys want to give a little to the Special Olympics and they do, but that's not their top priority. They want to make the auction exciting, & keep the fans of CGE coming back. I'm sure had the Magicard gone first, that second box-o-crap would have gone higher.