IGNORED

Space Invaders/Phoenix any good?

sidcrowe

• 2 weeks later...

I bought one at the local Gamestop. It was the last one they had, and at $10 I couldn't resist.

I'll need to fire up my antique version of MAME to compare speed and accuracy, but I like it so far. It's nice to see some less well-known classics finally getting some attention.

Qix seems to be the least accurate of the games, which is a pity since it's one of my favorites. Colony 7 is as hard and fast as I remember it being. Phoenix is a little off, but still fun. Space Invaders is, as already mentioned, more like the Anniversary Edition re-release than the original. Lunar Rescue is a hoot, and my stick, at least, seems to have the "woowoo" thruster sound, as it should.

BTW, any idea what hardware is running this stick?

In the Uk it was £25. I bought it for Phoenix and I was not disapointed. It was worht the money for that game alone. Space Invaders was pretty close to the arcade and Qix, man I forgot what a weird game that truly was. Lunar Rescue was a blast from the past but Colony 7 was a new one on me for I had never even heard of it. Hope they bring out more games like it.

• 3 months later...

I remember trying the Space Invaders part a while back. It seemed like they really ran up the difficulty. I can usually polish off a screen pretty quickly, but on the Radica one my shots kept meeting the invaders' shots dead on. Lame.

Colony 7 is basically a rip-off of Atlantis by Imagic, I think. Lunar Rescue wasn't worth playing at all.

Y'all suck. :D

Seriously, I only have 3 of the PNP games....I want them all, but $$$$$ is a major problem. :x

Someone mentioned Defender and Stargate......I would KILL to see Stargate ported over. I have never seen it ever ported to any platform. I've got a host of vintage computer hardware, too...

About 22-23 years ago, or so(I really can't remember which grade I did it in....I'm guessing 8th or 9th grade?) I made a miniature Stargate cabinet out of clay. My best friend's parents owned the pool hall/arcade across the street from my house, so the paint-job is pretty accurate. I'll have to take some pictures and post them.

Y'all suck.  :D

Seriously, I only have 3 of the PNP games....I want them all, but $$$$$ is a major problem.  :x

Someone mentioned Defender and Stargate......I would KILL to see Stargate ported over. I have never seen it ever ported to any platform. I've got a host of vintage computer hardware, too...

About 22-23 years ago, or so(I really can't remember which grade I did it in....I'm guessing 8th or 9th grade?) I made a miniature Stargate cabinet out of clay. My best friend's parents owned the pool hall/arcade across the street from my house, so the paint-job is pretty accurate. I'll have to take some pictures and post them.

984700[/snapback]

Unfortunately, you're not going to see Stargate on anything except MAME. What you can get is "Defender II," which is Stargate with a new name badge. It's as close as you can get. I think the Atari 2600 was the only platform that got it with both names. You can play Defender II it online for free here or you can buy it for any of the zillion home platforms it's on as a "Williams Arcade Classic" or a "Midway Arcade Treasure" (Genesis, Super Nintendo, Playstation, Saturn, Playstation 2, XBOX, Cube -- and probably others, including a mini standup "arcade" version.

There's more about Defender II/Stargate here.

BTW, any idea what hardware is running this stick?

930214[/snapback]

It's another NOAC (NES-on-a-chip) system. There are two little glop-tops on the tiny board inside; I assume that the larger one is the main integrated chipset, while the smaller one is either the game ROM or the chip that controls the menu.

The games in this unit weren't terrible, but they weren't accurate enough to hold my attention for more than a few minutes. With a little modification and a few parts, though, they make the best Atari 7800 controllers you can buy. :cool:

Iggy*SJB,Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:40 AM]Y'all suck.  :D

Seriously, I only have 3 of the PNP games....I want them all, but $$$$$ is a major problem.  :x

984700[/snapback]

Unfortunately, you're not going to see Stargate on anything except MAME. What you can get is "Defender II," which is Stargate with a new name badge. It's as close as you can get. I think the Atari 2600 was the only platform that got it with both names. You can play Defender II it online for free here or you can buy it for any of the zillion home platforms it's on as a "Williams Arcade Classic" or a "Midway Arcade Treasure" (Genesis, Super Nintendo, Playstation, Saturn, Playstation 2, XBOX, Cube -- and probably others, including a mini standup "arcade" version.

There's more about Defender II/Stargate here.

985931[/snapback]

Well, the shockwave version plays pretty well. I've heard of MAME, but I've never used it. Does it cost anything? I'm rather strapped at the moment, but I'd love to be able to play this game!