IGNORED

Wumpus Hunt 2600

vdub_bobby

Here's a 2600 version of the old classic, Hunt The Wumpus, written in bB.

The bugs in bB 0.3 were annoying and I almost resorted to writing large chunks in assembly to get around them, but I ended up writing the entire thing is in bBASIC with no assembly.

So, how to play:

press RESET to start a new game, at which point you will be placed randomly in a 6x6, dark cave with only your wits and two arrows.

Somewhere in that cave is a Wumpus, a Pit, and a Bat.

Your object is to find the Wumpus and shoot him with an arrow. If you enter the same room as the Wumpus, he will eat you. If you enter the same room as the Pit, you will fall in the Pit and die. If you enter the same room as the Bat, he will transport you to some random room in the cave and then the Bat will return to his roost (do bats roost? anyway...).

Note also that every time you move from one room to another, the Wumpus may also move. He is immune to the effects of the Pit and the Bat.

You can move either north, south, east, or west. You can fire an arrow (if you have one) in the same four directions.

Since you are in a dark cave, you might ask, how can you avoid stumbling into the Pit, the Bat, or the jaws of the Wumpus?

Well, sight isn't the only sense you have to depend on, you know. You can smell the Wumpus when he is in an adjacent room to yours. You can feel the chill air coming from the Pit when it is an adjacent room to yours. And you can hear the flapping of the Bat's wings when it is in an adjacent room to yours.

So, that's the overview. Now the details

Your location is represented by a small figure of a man in a 6x6 grid. The rooms you have visited will be marked, the ones you haven't visited will be blank.

Directly to the right of the map is the messages area:

When you can smell the Wumpus, a "W" will appear there.

When you can feel the chill wind from the Pit, a "P" will appear there.

When you can hear the Bat, a "B" will appear there.

Move with the L joystick, press the trigger and move the joystick to fire an arrow. If you don't have any arrows, pressing the trigger and moving the joystick will cause you to move.

Your spare arrows are shown underneath the map.

You begin with two arrows, but if you fire them all, don't despair! All is not lost - you may yet find some arrows left over from previous, unsuccessful hunters...

A note on scoring: Your score is how many "turns" it took you to find the Wumpus. It takes one turn to move and one turn to fire an arrow.

/end goofy instructions

So, any thoughts? The graphics are especially ugly; I welcome any and all suggestions and/or submissions of improved graphics. Sound would also be a nice addition.

WumpusHunt2600.bin

post-6060-1124988289_thumb.png

post-6060-1124988296_thumb.png

post-6060-1124988306_thumb.png

post-6060-1124988313_thumb.png

• Like 2

Is there a High (er, Low) Score Contest? Because I just won without moving at all . . . Twice.

IMO, you probably want to avoid that situation, because it doesn't make for much fun. Is there a way to make sure that the player isn't placed immediately adjacent to the Wumpus at the beginning?

Well, sight isn't the only sense you have to depend on, you know.  You can smell the Wumpus when he is in an adjacent room to yours.  You can feel the chill air coming from the Pit when it is an adjacent room to yours.  And you can hear the flapping of the Bat's wings when it is in an adjacent room to yours.

How about making the bats and draft be audio cues, and making the Wumpus alter the screen background color [perhaps use something like (after each frame)]

framecounter=framecounter+1
 temp = 0
 if wumpus then temp=16+((framecounter >> 1) & 112)
 if temp > 64 then temp=160-temp
 COLUBK = temp

temp = 0
 if bats then temp = (framecounter & 31) << 1
 if (temp & 48) then temp = 0
 AUDF0 = 5
 AUDC0 = 8
 AUDV0 = temp

temp = 0
 temp = (framecounter & $7F) >> 4
 if temp > 4 then temp = 4
 if framecounter & 128 then temp = 4-temp
 AUDF1 = temp+4
 AUDC1 = 8
 if pit then AUDV0 = 6 else AUDV0 = 0

Is there a High (er, Low) Score Contest?  Because I just won without moving at all . . . Twice. 

IMO, you probably want to avoid that situation, because it doesn't make for much fun.  Is there a way to make sure that the player isn't placed immediately adjacent to the Wumpus at the beginning?

918744[/snapback]

Yeah, it is possible. Should have thought of that myself.

How about making the bats and draft be audio cues, and making the Wumpus alter the screen background color [perhaps use something like (after each frame)]

That's a good idea. I'll look into that if/when I dive back into the code. Thanks for the code sample too.

I'm very excited to see this project in action! :D

In TI version, I believe you only start with one arrow. Perhaps you could implement a harder/one-arrow mode to be toggled that with the difficulty switch? Also in the TI version, the board wrapped around the playfield. Adding this with the difficulty switch could mean that the wumpus might jump from one side of the screen to the other and cause for a trickier hunt. ;)

If you do use the sounds and playfield color as clues (as mentioned above) Perhaps then you could put in some animations at the right of the playfield (Like one of those first person RPG games): Falling in the pit, meeting the bat, Being eaten by the wumpus, or a Victory screen with an arrow piercing the wumpus. (I have attached a GIF to give a better idea of what I mean. You'll probably need to click on the thumbnail to see the animation with this new forum software)

BTW, I like that you have the bat and wumpus moving about. It makes for an interesting experience. ;) Nice work!

I'm very excited to see this project in action!  :D

In TI version, I believe you only start with one arrow.  Perhaps you could implement a harder/one-arrow mode to be toggled that with the difficulty switch?  Also in the TI version, the board wrapped around the playfield.  Adding this with the difficulty switch could mean that the wumpus might jump from one side of the screen to the other and cause for a trickier hunt.  ;)

Starting with different numbers of arrows would be easy to implement. Well, I can only display 0, 1, or 2 arrows as it is currently set up.

Wrapping the playfield wouldn't be hard either, though I kinda like the "reality" of a non-wrapping map.

If you do use the sounds and playfield color as clues (as mentioned above) Perhaps then you could put in some animations at the right of the playfield (Like one of those first person RPG games):  Falling in the pit, meeting the bat, Being eaten by the wumpus, or a Victory screen with an arrow piercing the wumpus.  (I have attached a GIF to give a better idea of what I mean.  You'll probably need to click on the thumbnail to see the animation with this new forum software)

Those are nice animations! Might be room to put more graphics in there.

BTW, I like that you have the bat and wumpus moving about.  It makes for an interesting experience.  ;)  Nice work!

Thanks, but the bat shouldn't be moving (and I am about 90% sure that it doesn't). :)

I just realized that the score at bootup is 002600, to complete the title Wumpus Hunt 2600!

:D

I think audio should be used instead of icons.  You can even try to simulate a "sniff sniff sniff" noise for the smell.

921694[/snapback]

That would give the game an interesting "blind mode" feel. Maybe there could be both the effects and icons... and the "blind mode" could be an interesting variation for the game select switch. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...