IGNORED

is this normal for a 65xe?

kevin242

I recieved my brand new 65xe (to me) today in the mail and much to my suprise it

does have an Expansion port on the back? What is the deal?? From what I read only

the 130xe had the exp port. It also says made in hong kong or china on it, Im very

happy with the condition of the unit (no yellowing or scratches) but alittle confused

about the port....

can anyone shed any light on this?

post-5044-1125014895_thumb.jpg

Edited by kevin242

PAL 65XEs came with the Expansion port.

If that's an NTSC unit, it's probably a late model when Atari used the 130XE motherboard for both machines (look inside the machine and take a look at the name of the motherboard, that might help).

If this is the case, 1) it's a rare bird you own and 2) only the memory size differs compared to the 130XE.

AB.

It's not PAL and I guess from what you say and from doing some searching Atari did

release 65xe's with the ECI port during the end of it's life cycle. I know some xe's

in europe (I think the 800xe) is basically just a 130 with 64k and you can easily

upgrade it, I wonder if this is the case with mine. I almost hate to open it because

the warranty seal is intact over one of the screws.

Not too long ago a gentleman from Chile, ZZtop, started a thread showing his 65xe with a 130xe motherboard in it as well, he posted instructions and pictures on what little needs to be done to upgrade it to 128k with full 130xe compatiblity. A search in this forum is sure to find it. I may edit and post it myself if I find it. Never mind, it's listed in the "similair threads" box listed below.

Edited by Gunstar

So, first models of 65XE have not ECI port - I have one ;) In this revision of PCBs are changet position of some chips... (like ANTIC and Pokey for example).

Some times after Atari cuts some costes - and use for 65XE PCB from 130XE without extra RAM. At last - for Europe specialy - change name "65XE" for "800XE"...

interesting, does anyone have a 800xe? Is my system the same as what

was called an 800xe (in Europe)?

here is a picture from below which I took for the moderator of the atari 8bit faq so he

could update his info on the North American 65xe:

post-5044-1125317862_thumb.jpg

Edited by kevin242

I have one. 800XE it is normally Atari XE version with PCB of Atari 130XE and 64KB RAM memory. In fact, I think, that Atari renamed Atari 65XE with 130XE board for changing with old 65XE's only...?

Here you have pictures with 3 models of Atari: http://www.silicium.org/images/catalog/ata...ri_3xe_culs.jpg

From UP to Down: Atari 65XE (standard old model), Atari 800XE and Atari 130XE. In this pic's 800XE is without modulator (RF connector), BUT STANDARD IS WITH IT!!!

Edited by Sikor

There are more differences. Early XEs (both 130XE and 65XE models) had the "on-springs" type of keyboards, with green membrane and a spring under each key. While typing, tt feels much like 1040ST keyboard. The keys on such a keyboard often get yellow after some 10 years.

It seems that all late XE computers (which probably includes all 800XEs ever produced) have some other, crap type of keyboard (called "gum" keyboard). The look is alike, but there are no springs and the membrane has no colour (it is transparent), and they also have "MADE IN CHINA" written on them. Typing on this is much less convenient, than on the other type. The keys don't get yellow, at least I never saw such a phenomenon on such a keyboard.

Also, in the first type, and also some keyboards of the second type, the keys are made from two kinds of plastic: the key itself is white, and the character is made from plastic of a darker colour and grouted into the key. On chinese keyboards the characters are simply printed on the white plastic, so that after some time they tend to disappear on more often used keys (like Control or Return).

My 65XE has the first type of the keyboard (springs, green membrane, grouted characters). My 800XE has the second type (no springs, transparent membrane, printed characters). My 130XE has the same as the 800XE, the only difference is that the characters are grouted.

there were also some of the spring keyboards with clear membranes too, that was what my original 130XE had, as I changed the membrane once when the old one had shorted. I replaced a clear membrane with another clear one, and it was the spring style keyboard. I even upgraded it with ST mega-touch third party springs that gave both the spring XE keyboard and spring ST keyboards more stiffness (two sets of springs under the keys, original small ones, and larger mega-touch springs around them. Also, the ST line is the same way with the keyboards. I have an older 1040STf that has spring loaded keys and a later 1040STfm model with the "gummy bubble" keys (which DO suck). So they made many changes over the years on all Atari machines all around (many different PCB versions for both XE/ST too) I know ST's have A-D PCB's and possibly even an E model. I do know that my 1040STf also has a spot for another chip, either a FPU or a Blitter, not sure which, and it's a rev. C motherboard, yet I have a newer rev. D motherboard in my STfm that does NOT have the extra socket anymore, probably removed to save costs. Earlier revisons like A&B also don't hav ethe extra socket, so this must have been a limited time thing for just some motherboards. I've also noticed TWO types of totally different ST PCB rev. C boards, with and without the socket for a FPU/Blitter. It makes it hard sometimes when trying to salvage parts from one rev. PCB to another...