IGNORED

Sears Heavy Sixer 2600?

jklat2k1

Just wondering how the Sears Heavy Sixer ranks for collectors? Is it as desirable as the Atari version?

I heard that 150,000 Heavy Sixers were made. Is that including the Sears version? Just wondering since I have 1, and just picked up another for $15.

I almost got an Atari Heavy Sixer on eBay for $30. But, by the time I asked a question to determine the model and cosmetics, someone used buy-it-now. What was frustrating is that the seller did respond that it was a Sunnyvale with intact label, and rated a 9 out of 10 on the cosmetics. Oh well, life continues.

quote:

Originally posted by jklat2k1:

Just wondering how the Sears Heavy Sixer ranks for collectors? Is it as desirable as the Atari version?

I heard that 150,000 Heavy Sixers were made. Is that including the Sears version? Just wondering since I have 1, and just picked up another for $15.

I almost got an Atari Heavy Sixer on eBay for $30. But, by the time I asked a question to determine the model and cosmetics, someone used buy-it-now. What was frustrating is that the seller did respond that it was a Sunnyvale with intact label, and rated a 9 out of 10 on the cosmetics. Oh well, life continues.

I got a GENUINE Sunnyvale 6 switch last month from atari70's (who used to frequent this board alot) for $30. The thing is in EXCELLENT shape and everything works! I get a better picture from this ancient console than from my Vader 2600.

atari70's was liquidating his entire Atari collection (do a search in the "marketplace" forum) and I was the first to submit an offer for his heavy sixer. He may have an extra one to sell, but I'm not sure. check with him...he still has tons of rare stuff for sale as sales have been pretty slow for him.

The basic answer to the original question is that today the Sear's Heavy Sixer is more collectable than the Atari model simply because in the day these things were made...the Sear's models were considered to be the wannabe units. In fact there is Zero difference in model and quality between the two only the woodgrain design and decal around the switches are different.

Because everyone back in the day really wanted the true Atari model 6 switcher...more of those were sold. So the underdog of the day is now the more rare of the two.

As for the picture...yeap...the heavy sixers from Sunnyvale in '77 have some of the best quality from any RF I have ever seen. They are built like tanks as well so that always helps.

(Edited because I can't spell...)

[ 03-27-2002: Message edited by: -^Cro§Bow^- ]

quote:

Originally posted by Adrian M:

I got a GENUINE Sunnyvale 6 switch last month from atari70's (who used to frequent this board alot) for $30. The thing is in EXCELLENT shape and everything works! I get a better picture from this ancient console than from my Vader 2600.

I got my boxed Sunnyvale Heavy Sixer up at eBay for $25. Joysticks, Paddles, Power Supply, etc. all in their original boxes as well.

Here is the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=1342224400

I figured if I was just going to keep it in the box someone else might get more enjoyment out of it. I use my 4 Switch Darth Vader to avoid game size problems.

I hate using the word Rare in the title, but hard to find just wouldn't fit

Thanks for the tip!

I've always wanted to get one of the Heavy Sixers, as well as get a decent box for a system. I bid on it, now I just have to cross my fingers!

I first noticed this version when my Buddy calls me one day saying he must have a prototype unit since it was so heavy. He doesn't have access to the net, and I thought about letting him think he got a one of a kind unit, but I decided to be nice and clue him in once I did the research on this great board. But darn it, I sure wanted one after that!

Evan J. Malik

quote:

Originally posted by Snoop:

Thanks for the tip!

I've always wanted to get one of the Heavy Sixers, as well as get a decent box for a system. I bid on it, now I just have to cross my fingers!

Good Luck to you then, and thanks for the bid.

Seeing how this was your first post welcome to AtariAge. If you have any questions or anything be sure to ask them, everyone is friendly-- It is a community.

Welcome fellow Atarian

quote:

Originally posted by Junie:

Good Luck to you then, and thanks for the bid.

Seeing how this was your first post welcome to AtariAge. If you have any questions or anything be sure to ask them, everyone is friendly-- It is a community.

Welcome fellow Atarian

Thanks for the welcome!

I've been a lurker for some time now, but figured it was time to come out of the woodgrain!

Evan