IGNORED

On Screen Print

neotokeo2001

Is there a way to use a "Print" command for onscreen text?

If Not. Are there any other options for screen text in B-Basic?

Not yet. I think somebody mentioned maybe trying to do a Stellar Track-style kernel in the future.

For now, your only real option is to use player0/1 (or the playfield).

Homsar http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=73280 is a game that does some text during the intro.

If you're going for more than one small word, it'll probably have to be vertical.

Edited by s0c7

I was going for a Dark Mage type game with text descriptions and options. Guess I'll have to wait a little longer.

Well, you could/should make a specific kernel request in the kernel request thread - then you might not have to wait so long. :)

EDIT: What about a kernel that looked something like the display in my 1K menu w/ instructions demo?

You could have around seven 12-character lines on screen at one time, non-flickering. Not as big as a flickering, Dark Mage-ish display.

Edited by vdub_bobby

One thing which might be useful would be for BB to allow a way to define characters for the digits A-F in the score display routine and load them into the score. This would provide an easy way for a player to use up to six letters plus the letter "0" [zero] and--depending upon shape--"I" [one] to form messages. The characters thus created could either be used as single letters or bitmaps that contain parts of multiple letters.

You could have around seven 12-character lines on screen at one time, non-flickering.  Not as big as a flickering, Dark Mage-ish display.

922347[/snapback]

I prefer the flickering David-Crane-kernel-style text in Dark Mage. The flicker isn't bad and it looks better than using tiny text that uses less than 1/3 of the screen width. Perhaps the approaches could be combined for a 24-column flickerscreen. That might be the best approach.

One thing which might be useful would be for BB to allow a way to define characters for the digits A-F in the score display routine and load them into the score.  This would provide an easy way for a player to use up to six letters plus the letter "0" [zero] and--depending upon shape--"I" [one] to form messages.  The characters thus created could either be used as single letters or bitmaps that contain parts of multiple letters.

924918[/snapback]

I think this is an excellent idea.

Actually, allowing bB programmers to redefine the digit bitmaps would be cool as well.

One thing which might be useful would be for BB to allow a way to define characters for the digits A-F in the score display routine and load them into the score.  This would provide an easy way for a player to use up to six letters plus the letter "0" [zero] and--depending upon shape--"I" [one] to form messages.  The characters thus created could either be used as single letters or bitmaps that contain parts of multiple letters.

924918[/snapback]

I think this is an excellent idea.

Actually, allowing bB programmers to redefine the digit bitmaps would be cool as well.

926107[/snapback]

Something like this is on the todo list for the next version.