IGNORED

Retrogaming Times Monthly #16

RetrogamingMonthly.jpgThe September 2005 issue of Retrogaming Times Monthly is now online. Features in Issue #16 include:
  • Many Faces of "Buck Rogers: Planet of Zoom"
  • Collecting in Australia
  • Thrill of Defeat: "Radio Shack MC10"
  • Coleco Nation
  • Lost Faces of the Sinclair Spectrum: Galaxian
You can find all these and more inside the latest issue of Retrogaming Times Monthly.

Hi,

Tonks here, author of the offensice RTM article.

Let me just state that my article is meant to be just a funny tongue in cheek article. I didn't purposefully set out to offend anyone with my "Stupid Americans" comments. It was meant as sarcastic humour.

Here in Australia such humour is very common. We have learnt to laugh at ourselves and not take things too seriously. I thought Americans were similar. MAD magazine has always had such humour, as do shows like SNL, Conan O'Brian, Letterman, etc. I didn't think what I was doing was any different.

Also, what exactly is wrong with my G.W. Bush comment. Isn't the comment true? I do not see that he is likely to say he was wrong in invading Iraq.

You can take my comment two ways. 1) As a supporter of Bush, you wouldn't expect him to say he was wrong, becasue you wouldn't believe he was wrong in the first place. 2) As an opponant of Bush you wouldn't expect him to say he was wrong for the opposite reasons.

Anyway, I just wanted to add some explanation. If I seriously did offend anyone, I am sorry. It was not my intention. I just am trying to add something to the gaming community through my RTM articles and try to make them as entertaining as possible.

Tonks

I just thuoght the political comment really didn't need to be in a videogame article.

As far as the "stupid comment" goes, it's just that it seemed that we all got lumped into the "stupid" category.

I do get the point that the comments were made toung-in-cheek.

I also know that it's fashionable to bash and make fun of Americans, so I don't know why I was surprised by the comments.

Anyway, I didn't mean to come of sounding whiny or anything, the comments just rubbed me the wrong way initially. No big deal. I appreciate the reply :)

I also know that it's fashionable to bash and make fun of Americans, so I don't know why I was surprised by the comments.

About as "fashionable" as bashing Frenchs? :ponder:

BTW: Lots of utterly stupid people in Germany too. All ready to be bashed! Though mainly participating in/watching trash TV and fortunately not flying around in big airplanes. ;)

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

You know...I really enjoy this publication, but the political commentary and the "Stupid Americans" comment, both in the opening article are uncalled for IMHO.

:edit: maybe I shouldn't vent here...

922515[/snapback]

Don't feel guilty. Your comment is relevant and justified. Actually, I also got the same impression. I consider myself a person with a sense of humor and didn't particularly appreciate the comment. I'm no flag-waving Bush enthusiast or blindfolded patriot; I just found it to be a jarringly rude conclusion to an otherwise informative article.

I'm actually curious to know why the Coleco Adam version wasn't covered in the "Many Faces of...".  Seems like a natural to me and a quite good game at that as well...

924072[/snapback]

I had the same question. The Coleco Adam was probably the first system it appeared on and is very well known since it was the pack-in game for it. I emailed the author a few days ago but didn't hear back. Seems like a glaring omission in an otherwise good article....

Edited by else

Well, I doubt it was the first - I'll have to check the dates on my cartridges, disks and data packs - but it was probably the best-selling version since, as you say, it was the Coleco Adam pack-in game. Certainly like the ColecoVision version it took some liberties with the arcade game and received mixed reviews when originally released, but it's by far the most impressive home version ever, as are most of the "Super" series of Adam games...