IGNORED

BEST OVERALL MS. PAC MAN HOME CONVERSION?

Wonder007

I believe the best version is the C-64 version because of the overall conversion of controls and similarities to the mame version!

BTW, is there a home version where you can speed up the game???

Edited by Wonder007

While I haven't tried the C-64 version, I've tried it on numerous other systems.

The Genesis, SNES, and NES versions all are VERY similar... same scrolling maze, speed booster option, maze selection options, etc.

The 2600 version is amazing for the time it was released.

The XL/XE version isn't bad, but I wouldn't enthusiastically recommend it either.

The 7800 version is definetly the best one for a classic system I've played yet... although opcode's Colecovision version will probably beat it. :-)

Edited by sdamon

Can't vouch for the best but Jakks TV is the WORST - you can sometimes pass completely through ghosts and one time I even got stuck in the "wall" between the tunnels.  Very, very poor.

922910[/snapback]

I agree....and the controller sucks as well.....it doesn't give you that arcade feeling!

The 7800 version is very good as well!

I don't know if I'd call it the "best", but I recently tried the SNES version, and liked it quite a bit. It's not a faithful arcade port (the movement is more fluid, the graphics have been updated a bit, and of course the scrolling), but still pretty fun.

Edited by Laner

MUST PLAY VERSIONS:

Atari 7800

Playstation 2 (Namco Museum 50th Anniv)

M.A.M.E.

MIGHT PLAY VERSIONS:

Atari 2600

Gameboy Color

Gameboy Advance (Namco Museum)

Jakks TV Games

NES (Namco version)

The Ms. Pac-Man in previous console versions of Namco Museum, including the original release version for the Playstation 2, are on my "Must Not Play" list.

The Ms. Pac-Man in previous console versions of Namco Museum, including the original release version for the Playstation 2, are on my "Must Not Play" list.

923440[/snapback]

I wouldn't be so quick to lump the PS1 version in with the other NamcoMuseum releases. Where else besides MAME can you flip the game on its side for the proper aspect ratio?

923440[/snapback]

I wouldn't be so quick to lump the PS1 version in with the other NamcoMuseum releases.  Where else besides MAME can you flip the game on its side for the proper aspect ratio?

923470[/snapback]

I'd rather keep my TV from being flipped on its side to enjoy a game, thank you.

Also, I was going to include the Super NES version contained as a hidden game in Pac-Man 2 as a "Must Not Play version" as well, due to a serious mess-up on the first screen of the game.

I wouldn't be so quick to lump the PS1 version in with the other NamcoMuseum releases.  Where else besides MAME can you flip the game on its side for the proper aspect ratio?

923470[/snapback]

I'd rather keep my TV from being flipped on its side to enjoy a game, thank you.

Fair enough, but I think it's worth appreciating that they gave the option. And even without that, the PS1 port is better than the other NamcoMuseum releases. Keep in mind the PS1 releases were done in-house at Namco, while the others were outsourced. The difference in quality is obvious.

Can't vouch for the best but Jakks TV is the WORST - you can sometimes pass completely through ghosts and one time I even got stuck in the "wall" between the tunnels.  Very, very poor.

922910[/snapback]

Try the new "cordless" version (the one that looks a little like a mini-cocktail table)-I think it's better than the corded version- plus they "fixed" the controls on Bosconian (you can now move diagonally) and Rally-X.

I dug the Genesis version at the time. I have the namco psone version, I haven't played it that much; I don't care for the original simulation they have surrounding the playing field. I own the Jakks version also; of course the control isn't right with it (although I think Pole Possition is a blast on that plug and Play). Finally, the 2600 version is very fun. For me, it's hard to say which is best. They all have their charm.

I dug the Genesis version at the time.  I have the namco psone version, I haven't played it that much; I don't care for the original simulation they have surrounding the playing field.  I own the Jakks version also; of course the control isn't right with it (although I think Pole Possition is a blast on that plug and Play).  Finally, the 2600 version is very fun.  For me, it's hard to say which is best.  They all have their charm.

923785[/snapback]

........... even the regular Atari 2600 Pac Man (in a strange way that is!!) :roll:

I dug the Genesis version at the time.  I have the namco psone version, I haven't played it that much; I don't care for the original simulation they have surrounding the playing field.  I own the Jakks version also; of course the control isn't right with it (although I think Pole Possition is a blast on that plug and Play).  Finally, the 2600 version is very fun.  For me, it's hard to say which is best.  They all have their charm.

923785[/snapback]

........... even the regular Atari 2600 Pac Man (in a strange way that is!!) :roll:

923803[/snapback]

I've played it once since reinvestigating the 2600. I still can't stand how pac man stays sideways. I don't know, it stung when I bought it originally (at FULL price). Really a hack job. ....maybe I'll re-evaluate it with an open mind. But to keep in the spirit of the thread, it's amazing how much better Ms. Pac-man and Jr. Pac-man are for the system. It was the main reason I lost interest back then....and missed out on a ton of great games.

I'd have to say the 7800 version is the most authentic of all, both because of its gameplay and its origins. What a lot of people fail to consider is that 7800 Ms. Pac-Man (and the 7800 console itself) was developed by General Computer Corporation, which was in effect the company that created the original Ms. Pac-Man in the arcades; their Pac-Man modification, Crazy Otto, was picked up by Namco and released as Ms. Pac-Man.

I'll go with the 7800 and 2600 versions. The 7800 plays absolutey wonderful, and the 2600 version, while not graphically perfect, nails the gameplay on the head as well.

Graphics-wise, the c64 version was amazing, but I still like the 7800 version the best. I believe it was programmed by the same guy who wrote the arcade game.