IGNORED

Question about Memory Track power source

Gummy Bear

Greetings all.

I have a Memory Track cartridge for my Jag CD and the battery inside it it getting a little crusty around one end.

Does anyone know the specs of this battery?

Type, voltage, capacity?

I need to find a suitable replacement.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, guys. :)

Hello,

I have a Memory Track cartridge for my Jag CD and the battery inside it it getting a little crusty around one end.
I didn't even know there was a battery in a memory track, can't see why!

The Memory Track is supposed to use Flash ROM, not CMOS RAM, I thought, where

the normal Jaguar cartridges uses a 128-byte serial EEPROM/E2PROM for storage.

The only unit I was aware of with a battery is the Alpine. Can you post a photo?

Cheers,

JustClaws.

Hello,

I didn't even know there was a battery in a memory track, can't see why!

The Memory Track is supposed to use Flash ROM, not CMOS RAM, I thought, where

the normal Jaguar cartridges uses a 128-byte serial EEPROM/E2PROM for storage.

The only unit I was aware of with a battery is the Alpine. Can you post a photo?

Cheers,

JustClaws.

923648[/snapback]

Hi, JustClaws

I will do. I'll need to borrow the digicam from work today though.

It'll be a few hours.

It's a small, blue, cylinder type battery.

I know it's a battery because the poles (+-) are printed on the board where it is attached.

Just can't see any details printed on the actual battery. Curses!

Hello,

I will do. I'll need to borrow the digicam from work today though. It'll be a few hours.

I know it's a battery because the poles (+-) are printed on the board where it is attached.

I don't mean to be patronizing, but are you sure it's a battery, and not a capacitor?

It sounds more like a capacitor to me, and they *do* go crusty if they leak, just like a battery does!

It makes perfect sense for a capacitor to be involved. I think Glenn or Matthias published a circuit?

Cheers,

JustClaws.

Hello!

Hello,
I will do. I'll need to borrow the digicam from work today though. It'll be a few hours.

I don't mean to be patronizing, but are you sure it's a battery, and not a capacitor?

It sounds more like a capacitor to me, and they *do* go crusty if they leak, just like a battery does!

It makes perfect sense for a capacitor to be involved. I think Glenn or Matthias published a circuit?

Cheers,

JustClaws.

923710[/snapback]

Yep, you can find a description of a MemoryTrack-PCB here:

http://www.mdgames.de/jag_pcbs.htm

Just select the MT-card in the top-left frame.

The blueish thingy with the + and - is an Electrolyte-Capacitor (if this is the proper english term, abbreviation in german: "Elko"), which is not exactly an battery.

But yes, they tend to explode...

Regards

Matthias

Edited by Matthias

Hello!

Hello,

Cheers,

JustClaws.

923710[/snapback]

Yep, you can find a description of a MemoryTrack-PCB here:

http://www.mdgames.de/jag_pcbs.htm

Just select the MT-card in the top-left frame.

The blueish thingy with the + and - is an Electrolyte-Capacitor (if this is the proper english term, abbreviation in german: "Elko"), which is not exactly an battery.

But yes, they tend to explode...

Regards

Matthias

923839[/snapback]

Ahh. I see.

That would make it almost instantly rechargeable whenever the Jag CD is powered up.

Here are the pictures I promised you anyway JustClaws:

Dscn1537.jpg

Dscn1536.jpg

Maybe a replacement is not going to be easy to source...

I scraped all the fur off the top end, I'll just have to see how it goes.

Thanks for your help guys. :)

Thanks for your help guys.  :)

923955[/snapback]

You should have no trouble finding a replacement. Caps are a dime a dozen (literally). A great place to get things like this is Digi-Key

Thanks for your help guys.  :)

923955[/snapback]

You should have no trouble finding a replacement. Caps are a dime a dozen (literally). A great place to get things like this is Digi-Key

924104[/snapback]

I really wouldn't know what I was looking for...

I really wouldn't know what I was looking for...

924239[/snapback]

I hate it when they don't insert them with the value facing upwards so that you have to remove them to find out what it is.

Its definately an electrolytic capacitor, if you remove it the Voltage and value in Microfarads (uF) are written in the casing. Juding by the size I would say its 100uF @ 16V but best to read what it says in the case.

You didn't mention, so I have to ask; Are you actually having problems with your memory track? What are the symptoms? I ask, becuase while everyone is right, that is a standard, dime-a-dozen capacitor, it could be "crusty" and not be a leak. You can also get "crusty" carmel colored deposits from left over solder resin that wasn't cleaned off at the time the capacitor was soldered to the PCB. This will dry and turn hard and "crusty," but it's nothing to worry about.

Ahhmm... (dont know if anyone said this already or not but) ....what problem exactly do you have? ..."for your eye "crust"" or do you have problems saving data to the flash cart? ...since flash have limited lifetime(#of savings done to it, that might be the problem, not some gew on a capacitor... (just a thought)..

Start summing up your savings and see if they get near 100.000 savings (not likely though, but you never know) and then the problem is that the flash is just worn out...

since if its a 16V marked cap ....and even if it is a cheap one, it is not likely to "burn out" on a 5V system....

just a thought...