IGNORED

Doom2600 hack of Dark Chambers

Ringman

Ok I'm starting to hack Dark Chambers. Right now many of the graphics has been changed (player sprites and enemy sprites and a few objects.) I'm hoping to increase the game speed and MAYBE maybe change the levels if I can figure out how. I'd also like to make some of the enemies fire back, but that's not likely unless I get a programmer on board.

The enemies are: Imps, Demons, Lost Souls, Barons of Hell, and Cacodemons.

Attached is the rom at its current state. Enjoy! :D

Right click, then select save as. or it will just try to open it up in a text document.

doom2600.bin

Edited by Ringman

replied too late... disregard.  Thx

[edit]

replied too late and then tried a later attached ROM... This is kind of cool!  Thanks for sharing!  8)  I just wish the character moved a bit faster.  ;)

924608[/snapback]

Yeah, anyone know how to fix that????

Edit: Apparently people are downloading it, judging by the numbers. Anyone think this is worth pursuing to making it a full blown hack like wolf2600?

Edited by Ringman

Heh Cool.

I like the creature designs.

One thing I didn't like about Dark Chambers is that when you shoot an enemy it degrades to the next level creature down. That's kind of lame. I wish it just changed color or something.

Also I wish you lost items you find. Once you've collected them, there is no reason to go find them because you don't lose them.

Yeah I'm in agreement with you there, but once again nothing I can fix. It'd be cool to just have random enemies spill out of the portals of various strengths and speeds and give some the ability to shoot. As for the "power ups" I think they should be more effective but only last the length of the level.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tunnel Runner would certainly be interesting but only allows for 1 type of enemy. It'd be nice if I understood 2600's programming better then I'd split up the enemies and make them act a little more different. Skeleton plus is the closest thing to a 3d doom like atari game. But this is more trying to emulate the whole maze trekking demon slaying aspect of doom. If I manage to learn atari coding (which is a gamble, but I've learned crazier things before.) I might take a stab at cleaning this up. Right now without a programmer this is all you got, but if I get one I'd be willing to turn this into something special.

• 1 year later...

Is this still being worked on? I'd like to see it continued. Gotta change the title screen to say Doom 2600. It still says Dark Chambers. I like the idea. Please keep working on it to make it a full blown hack like Haunted Adventure or Wolfenstein 2600.

-Legend

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Actually I have one that says Doom on it in the doom logo somewhere lying around. Maybe I'll dig it up and upload it. As for a full blown hack I always wanted too but I never figured out how to change the speed of the main characters. I wanted to make a manual and everything.

Show us all of your ideas. It's not hard to mock up screenshots. How can programmers judge the value of working on the project if all you have is a list of what you can't do?

How is your game balanced? What are the level designs? Do enemies stalk the player or only fire if X is at Y? How many objects on the screen simultaneously does your design call for? Are you willing to sacrifice high resolution/multicolor sprites for speed and better enemy variety?

Other people here can probably come up with better questions for you to consider; I'm not a programmer either...

But you've got a good start.

Don't stop now.

Edited by A Sprite

• 1 month later...
Actually I have one that says Doom on it in the doom logo somewhere lying around. Maybe I'll dig it up and upload it. As for a full blown hack I always wanted too but I never figured out how to change the speed of the main characters. I wanted to make a manual and everything.

Show us all of your ideas. It's not hard to mock up screenshots. How can programmers judge the value of working on the project if all you have is a list of what you can't do?

How is your game balanced? What are the level designs? Do enemies stalk the player or only fire if X is at Y? How many objects on the screen simultaneously does your design call for? Are you willing to sacrifice high resolution/multicolor sprites for speed and better enemy variety?

Other people here can probably come up with better questions for you to consider; I'm not a programmer either...

But you've got a good start.

Don't stop now.

good start? even now it looks great.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I really wish this one was still being worked on. Definitely needs a new title screen and faster character movement. It would be really cool if this would get finished. I like this idea better than trying to make a 3d version on 2600. WOuld be cool if there was a way to get different weapons too. I hope work continues. Did you ever find the logo you did?