IGNORED

Does anyone Only play Classic Games?

thund3r

Wow, this is one angry topic. I only play classic games, because I'm a cheap bastard. And also because I like the old games better. I hate playing 3D games, because it takes me too long to get used to the controls, and it just pisses me off. That's why the newest console I own is a PS, and it was a gift.

No. Limiting yourself in any way in gaming is just plain retarded. You'll miss out on lots of great experiences that way and you will only hurt yoursel in the long run.

929627[/snapback]

Do you mean hurt myself because I no longer overpay for games that could be good/could be bad and only choose the ones that have stood the test of time?

In a world of High Definition, wall mounted, digital satelite TV's - Bose Wave Motion Music Systems - DVD Recorders - Digital Voice Recorders - MP3 Players - DVD players in cars - resaurant-grade modern appliances - 40 gazillion gigabyte computers - blackberries - GPS watches - cell phones that take, edit, and transmit pictures & video - DVD rentals delivered in the mail - ebay and all digital movies, HOW COULD I POSSIBLY HURT MYSELF TO STICKING WITH CLASSIC GAMING? WHAT AM I MISSING OUT ON? Have you ever heard of staying grounded with the things you love?

Also, my friend, telling someone that they are "retarded" simply because they make a choice different from your shows your lack of education, common sense and graciousness. It is a big world out there and there is plenty of room for people whose taste run the gamut. I'm confused why you would be so angry at those who prefer something different?

I wonder if my choice to have a dog rather than a cat is retarded. Perhaps my preference of reading as opposed to watching TV is retarded. I love traditional jazz and would rather listen to Ella Fitzgerald than anyone in today's music scene. Hmmm...I wonder - is that retarded? Perhaps my desicion to get an advanced degree at an Ivy League graduate school was also retarded. After all, it's been around since 1701. Boy, that's old - so I guess, retarded, right?

I guess I see your point though. By attending Yale, an "old" school, I know I missed out on lots of great experiences and only hurt myself in the long run. Perhaps I'll set my goals higher and attend the AAA Trucking School in Harrisburg, PA (http://www.aaaschooloftrucking.com/ for anyone who is interested). It was founded only eight years ago. Newer is better, right? Thank you for setting me on the right path.

941718[/snapback]

You are being really unreasonable in your argument. He is NOT saying newer is better, he's saying that if you enjoy video games, there are many good ones out today that are quite fun. Writing a game off based on it looking good or based on the year it was released makes no sense.

Imagine if I was to tell you I enjoy Jazz music and you were to suggest Ella Fitzgerald. Then imagine I were to say "That's crap, it's too old. I don't like things released originally on records" You would become really annoyed with me for being closeminded. You are doing the exact same thing. If someone tells me, "I don't like many games nowadays, I liked the older ones like Marble Madness" - I suggest Monkey Ball or Katamari or Pac N Roll. There are new games for every taste, they aren't neccessarily better than the old ones, just different.

Just because something is old does not make it better. People think old movies were better than current ones without any real reason why. Many of the old movies are completely unwatchable and no-one will admit it. They were transitioning from stage shows, and it means they over act, wear too much makeup, and mug for the camera alot. There are great films, don't get me wrong, but being old does not equal great.

People do this with games and music too. People say they haven't made a good game for 10 years, but they haven't even played a game for 10 years - or they make rash judgements based on playing 2 games. If I were to pick 10 Atari 2600 games, there is a really good chance the first 10 I pick could be complete trash - but there are a lot of people here who would steer me in a good direction for better games. Current games are the same way. There is some crap, but the market has gotten so large that there really seems to be something for everyone.

You're not hurting yourself, and I certainly wouldn't use the word retarded, but I would say if you enjoy video games and don't try current games, you are definately missing something you could potentially enjoy.

I go back and forth...currently playing mostly old-school (2600 4-switch and MAME). Also have NES and N64 I haven't touched in ages. The PS2 (with HD Advance....for backup purposes only :roll: ) has seen a bit of use lately (Burnout Revenge), but once I'm through the game will most likely sit idle.

You're not hurting yourself, and I certainly wouldn't use the word retarded, but I would say if you enjoy video games and don't try current games, you are definately missing something you could potentially enjoy.

I AM NOT SAYING THAT NEW GAMES (OR GAME SYSTEMS) STINK. In fact, in many ways, they are leaps and bounds ahead of the old ones and are certainly more marketable. Far be it for me to tell a multi-billion dollar a year industry that they are doing it wrong. Nonetheless, my preference still remains the older ones. Having said that, in ten years time, I'll probably be playing PS2 and XBOX - AND, I will know which games Passed the test of time and are worth spening $$$ playing - AND I will spend much less of that $$$ to buy those games. If one is not concerned about staying with the times, that's a pretty good system.

I do not disagree with anything else you are saying. In fact, you make some very compelling arguments and to be frank, I'm not sure that we disagree about anything.

However, I do take issue & offense with someone using this forum not to make valid arguments, but to start calling people vulgar and offensive names. That is not why these forums exist and it is not the type of forum I want to be involved in. It is up to us to make sure that we keep the content as on-point and non-vulgar as possible. That is what keeps people coming back. After all, who wants to read responses littered with insults and four letter words? I much prefer the discourse we are sharing. Don't you? (or should I start calling you stupid and retarded?)

Edited by silverpoodleman

flame, flame, s'all the same.

I'm obesessively compulsivly playing through everygame, chronologically and writing about it in my blog.

That being said, I find it extremely difficult to ignore the four current gen systems sitting under my nice big HDTV. If I boxed all of those however, you can bet I would suddenly be wanting to play Shenmue, or Fatal Frame all of a sudden.

I'm about 85-90% classic. I have to admit there are "some" modern games that I do enjoy (StarFox Assault, Kingdom Hearts and KoH - Chain of Memories, Neverwinter Nights (despite I really need to play more often)), but a lot of the modern stuff just honestly fails to interest me. Not saying I'll completely give up on modern gaming, it's just I'm a bit more scrutinizing. A lot of the reason as to why I stick to old-school/retro is mainly due to the fact these were games I grew up with (hell, I was feckin' BORN on the very year Ms. Pac-Man made her debut in the arcades: 1981), plus I've a lot of cherished memories of them. Until I can afford to find all of what I want, and move into a place that can hold it.. I still use emulation to re-live my memories.

Anywhere from StarMaster on the Atari2600 VCS, to Rocky's Boots on the Apple //e (don't laugh, it was a HELL of a fun edutainment title for back then, and for someone going into computer engineering I still find that "game" to be a bit helpful regarding AND gates and such). Plus a lot of the titles I managed to find for A2600, 800, C64, and such were actually FROM the //e (H.E.R.O., Conan: Halls of Volta, Zaxxon).

In regards to modern games I don't like or just are not fond of, I actually have my own valid reasons for such. Tekken, for example, just really doesn't appeal to me as a fighting game. It's not because I'm so used to King of Fighters/Street Fighter, but I just can't get used to the complicated controls (as opposed to Soul Calibur and Virtua Fighter, where I can pull off combos fairly easily, and can create my own tactics). Halo is mainly due to the fact that despite numerous attempts I simply cannot play a first-person shooter with a control pad (same with the original Unreal Tournament on PS2).

So all in all, for me it's both from actual experience and mostly a general lack of money (thank you, full-time college..). If I do spot a good game for a modern console, I'll definitely rent it (since a friend of mine down the street and I usually rent games on occasion at Blockbuster), otherwise I'll just not play it again (stupid Yu Yu Hakusho fighter on PS2.. bloody-awful excuse of a game..)

On an off-topic note, for who mentioned Capcom and Namco, Namco has been co-designing some of Nintendo's franchises (StarFox, mostly since SF Adventures), and Capcom has designed the GBA versions of another franchise or two (like some of the recent Zelda games for GA, and I think Four Swords Adventures for Gamecube).

I tend to bounce back and forth. For the past month or so, I've actually been glued to my PC and Guild Wars, so I haven't done much console gaming at all.

But I'll go a month on the Sega CD (have to start Lunar SSSC), then bounce to the PS2 (need to finish Arc the Lad) then flip on the 2600 to try to keep up with the HSC.

I definitely play modern games, but I sure as hell don't pay $50 for anything but my most-wanted titles. I get most games after the sequel comes out. Yes, I was that guy buying Burnout 3 for $7.99 a couple days after Revenge came out.