IGNORED

Does anyone Only play Classic Games?

thund3r

I'm kinda always old-school when it comes to gaming. I have systems newer than the 2600, but I only got them after their time had come and gone! Remember when everybody had a Super Nintendo? I didn't; I was an Atari holdout. Then when everybody had a Playstation? Yup, got a SN and Gameboy. I'm having a Nintendo 64 revival right now, even got a couple of games off eBay for variety. But heck, even my PC games are 5 years out of date!

I mostly play only classic games, although there are a few newer titles that I enjoy. Right now, I've got "Wiz 'n' Liz: The Frantic Wabbit Wescue" loaded on my Genesis right now, and it's one damn awesome game. Fast-paced, easy to start out with but hard to master. The variety of effects that you can get from mixing fruits is nice, and it's got a damn good two-player mode.

I second the feeling of being turned off by all the bling-bling/gangsta/Def Jam titles on modern consoles. I've been bombarded by that crap on TV and now it's invaded our game consoles.

Go to PC gaming. It has none of the bling bling, because its not popular. Consoles are popular, not PC gaming. Besides, in October, F.E.A.R. is where its at. I played the demo and yeah... it makes Doom 3 a pansy in terms of scaryness and tactics. That's the only modern gaming I play and that is the main reason. It hasn't been invaded yet (too badly).

I dislike most PC gaming due to the need to install to hard drive, thus making it hard to keep several games "ready to play". I do enjoy the game "Flatout", however. The driving physics are decent, and I enjoy the ragdol physics when you wreck (I've gotten my driver to fly almost all the way to the other side of the map before). I don't like how the game keeps you in bounds of the map - it uses a 'wall' that is designed to look like more forest (but doesn't quite, since it's completely flat), so you effectively drive into an invisible wall if you go too far off the track. All in all, it's a neat little game though, and it's mostly more fun to load it up, toss the guy out of the car for 5 or 10 minutes, then dump out and do something else.

If PC games would run off the game media like console games do, but without the need to reboot to play them, then I'd be more interested in them. Sure, I know some games let you do a 'minimal' install, but still I'd rather have no install at all - put in the game and either let Autorun take over, or manually run "game.exe" on the CD/DVD's root. As it stands, I don't play lots of PC games simply because they take up too much hard drive space.

99% classics here. The newest console I own is a Dreamcast (no XBox, GameCube, or PlayStation of any kind), and I usually use that and the PC for emulation. About the only exception to the rule is the original Doom (via the Ultimate Doom collection) for the PC. Beyond that, I do all my gaming on classic systems, primarily the Atari 2600/7800, the Atari 8-bit computers, and the Jaguar. I bought a lot of the Hasbro/Atari retro remakes, but none of them had the staying power of the originals. I find that a lot of modern genres and games are either too complicated or too time-consuming for me.

I'm kinda always old-school when it comes to gaming. I have systems newer than the 2600, but I only got them after their time had come and gone! Remember when everybody had a Super Nintendo? I didn't; I was an Atari holdout. Then when everybody had a Playstation? Yup, got a SN and Gameboy. I'm having a Nintendo 64 revival right now, even got a couple of games off eBay for variety. But heck, even my PC games are 5 years out of date!

926923[/snapback]

Just like I do. I´ve never owned a PS, and now that it´s dead, I´ve been thinking in getting one :?

926923[/snapback]

Just like I do. I´ve never owned a PS, and now that it´s dead, I´ve been thinking in getting one :?

Dude, seriously get one. Its only like $50 new, and you can get fantastic games like Lunar Silver Star Story, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, the big list of fighters on there, Strikers 1945, Moble Light Force (Don't let the name fool you, its just gunbird), oh the list goes on and on and on.

For the past two-and-a-half years, the only modern console game I've been playing much at all is Steel Battalion. Sure, I've done some Pinball of the Dead and Advance Wars, but these days my GBA is mostly a frontlit GBC emulator that lets me play games ported from the NES like Dragon Warrior 1-3. Oh, occasionally it's Konami Arcade Advance or GBA Namco Museum. Then there's my Dreamcast that emulates the 5200 and 8-bit and my PS2 that runs the Midway and Atari compilations.

I haven't finished a modern PS2 game since Red Faction. However, given my Steel Battalion obsession, I'm still probably 80% modern and 20% classic.

I guess the kids these days don't like the sci-fi stuff as much as we did

Not all kids. :D

If 32 bit is modern i am 100% modern for the most part. It's very very rare for me to play anything older than say the genesis or nes and i don't play either of them like i did before. Well really just my genesis, i never played much nes. The last classic system i bought was a master system which i think played about 3 times. I found the controllers hard to use and just wasn't thrilled with it. I am activley looking for saturn n64 and dreamcast games and controllers. And once i get a working genesis it will be only be 90% modern. The only genesis that i have that works well is the model 3 and i just don't like the thing. Not to mention i want some S cables for the genesis badly. As of now there are no classic system i still want, sure if i see one real cheap i will snatch it up, but really I'm set.

It seems like everyone believes that moden gaming isnt what it was. And id have to agree, it seems like that for the ps2 (for example!). The fact that game after game is turned out and the majority are well below adverage. And I want to play is something new and original, or a remake of a good solid arcade/retro game.

No. Limiting yourself in any way in gaming is just plain retarded. You'll miss out on lots of great experiences that way and you will only hurt yoursel in the long run.

929627[/snapback]

That's like telling someone who detests horror movies and doesn't enjoy watching them at all that they should go and see just as many horror movies as any other genre or else they'll "miss out on lots of great experiences".

Perhaps you don't understand that what you consider a "great experience", I might consider a boring waste of time.