IGNORED

Official "fries" thread

JagFan422

Ok we all know how to "fry" a game on the 2600, what weird and interesting things have you come up with.

So far I have these and will edit as i try my games.

Pitfall II: fry until you get a very colorful jumbled mess. Run around until the screen clears, you'll find yourself in an unusual place in the game. Continue to play, after about 10 mins of play, THE MUSIC WILL CHANGE, kinda hip hopish, weird, after 20 mins of play, the game restes.

Donkey Kong Jr: impossible kong. only thing i found is frying will remove the first two vines which makes the game unplayable.

MegaForce: fry until you have black bars running verticle through the game. Don't worry, it doesn't affect that much, hit reset to start a new game and start with 11 lives instead of 4.

Kung Fu Masters: fry until you get bunch of black garble on the left side of your screen, the garble is about the size of your character. Hit reset. You will go through the first level with TONS of life and there will be no 1st lvl boss. Your life goes back to normal at the start of the 2nd level.

Edited by JagFan422

I have no problem with game cheats, but frying can supposedly do real damage so I never do it. I like my stuff to last a long time.

928551[/snapback]

One of the emulators (stella?) is set to incorporate frying in an upcoming release, so you can have fun with it, without damaging your hardware.

Here are the frying features that I remember from my youth. Like RT, I'm a little hesitant to try these again using real hardware.

Asteroids - Introducing Suburban Asteroids! All the asteroids are the same shape and color! All the asteroids (almost) move in the same direction, at the same speed! The satellites and UFOs always move and fire in the same pattern! Boring! The random jumble of characters that is supposed to be the copyright message is an amusing touch, however.

Centipede - You start at the top of a complete clear (or almost clear) screen. A scorpion zips across the very bottom of the screen. If you move down to the bottom, you'll end up stuck in your usual zone, and the game pretty much progresses normally. But if you go up and off-screen (and you don't shoot while you're up there), eventually you'll do something that completely confuses the game, causing the screen to explode (for lack of a better word). You'll have to see it to know what I really mean.

Defender - You start on level 0, where the city is missing and there are nothing but bombers floating around. Some of the sound effects, such as the humanoid cry for help, are also different. I recall something else in the game that also glitched, making it easier to play, but I can't think of what right now.

E.T. - If you thought E.T. was futile before, wait 'til you play the fried version. The only zone that appears is the "Call Elliot" zone, which means you can never summon the mothership, and eventually poor E.T. will die, alone and stranded. Truly heartbreaking.

Outlaw - Frying usually gave me game variation #0, which was 2-player with the wall and the getaway feature. Once, I somehow managed to get variations #26 through #99, which had all sorts of funky feature combinations. Some were weird, like the ones with moving cactii. Others were unplayable, like the one-player games with a six-shooter, or the games with impenetrable walls.

Pitfall - It's Ninja Harry! Harry floats through the air, dressed all in black, going through the same bit of forest over and over and over.. and over.. again. If you jump, he comes down to the ground, but that doesn't help the fact that he's still stuck on that same screen for all eternity (or at least until you turn the power off).

Space Invaders - Frying is another way to "unlock" the two-shots easter egg. It "relocks" once you hit the game select switch, however.

Video Pinball - Some games are harder to fry than others, in that it sometimes takes quite a few power jiggles to see anything that resembles the game. Video Pinball is one of those. When I did get it to fry, there was usually a jumbled mess of pixels where the flippers were supposed to be, and the game would black out when the ball hit that mess. Often the sound effects would be replaced with something that sounded like E.T.'s "calling home" contraption. Maybe he snuck over here in a desperate attempt to get home after his own game got fried.

Yars' Revenge - Want an extra challenge to this game? Fry it and play Invisible Yars! Only when you're crossing the Neutral Zone or nibbling at the Qotile's shield will you be able to see where you actually are. Dodging those missiles and pesky swirls suddenly becomes a real feat!

One of the emulators (stella?) is set to incorporate frying in an upcoming release, so you can have fun with it, without damaging your hardware.

Oh yeah, I think I read that somewhere around here. I have no problems with frying an emulator. Mmmmmm . . . fried emulator.

I hear frying the emulator will ruin it too and you have to re-download it. That's why they're going to start charging $5 a copy.

928838[/snapback]

That's right. Currently we're working on a patch that will eventually wear out the power button on your computer if you fry the emulator too often.

I hear frying the emulator will ruin it too and you have to re-download it. That's why they're going to start charging $5 a copy.

928838[/snapback]

That's right. Currently we're working on a patch that will eventually wear out the power button on your computer if you fry the emulator too often.

928876[/snapback]

Interesting. Maybe the programmers who write Coleco Handheld Simulators should have the battery cover go missing after you've had the software for some time. Then you'll have to go buy virtual duct tape from their webpage to keep the virtual batteries in place.

:ponder: I wonder where I'll purchase the virtual batteries. :?

E.T. - If you thought E.T. was futile before, wait 'til you play the fried version. The only zone that appears is the "Call Elliot" zone, which means you can never summon the mothership, and eventually poor E.T. will die, alone and stranded. Truly heartbreaking.

Not much different than the regular "un-fried" game.