IGNORED

Space Invaders

attendo

I'll play around with it later to see if I can get collision detection working well enough to be able to shoot the invaders.

941419[/snapback]

Wasn't too hard.

Here's the same demo except you can shoot the invaders.

941634[/snapback]

Wow, that works incredibly well (and you don't hardly notice the flicker caused by the missile going behind the cutout sprites either)... will this version be able to support the other game play elements like the shields and possibly the UFO's?

Anyways, I thought I'd extend the offer to sprite the game again since it's changed hands... and I've already updated my arcade-style sprites to your version.

If you were to make the sprites do an about face when they hit the wall (like in attendo's version) they could look like what I've shown in the first GIF. And, if you're feeling really adventurous, you could try to add a second frame of animation to the sprites (I know this isn't a standard feature of bB) which would enhance the arcade-style 'lagging'... as shown in the second GIF.

Let me know what you think.

post-6801-1128365186_thumb.jpg

post-6801-1128365308_thumb.jpg

Edited by jussts

I'll play around with it later to see if I can get collision detection working well enough to be able to shoot the invaders.

941419[/snapback]

Wasn't too hard.

Here's the same demo except you can shoot the invaders.

941634[/snapback]

Wow, that works incredibly well (and you don't hardly notice the flicker caused by the missile going behind the cutout sprites either)... will this version be able to support the other game play elements like the shields and possibly the UFO's?

Anyways, I thought I'd extend the offer to sprite the game again since it's changed hands... and I've already updated my arcade-style sprites to your version.

If you were to make the sprites do an about face when they hit the wall (like in attendo's version) they could look like what I've shown in the first GIF. And, if you're feeling really adventurous, you could try to add a second frame of animation to the sprites (I know this isn't a standard feature of bB) which would enhance the arcade-style 'lagging'... as shown in the second GIF.

Let me know what you think.

941854[/snapback]

Great looking sprites! I will definitely use them.

Currently all the drawing objects except playfield blocks are being used. So I might be able to add some semblance of shields with playfield blocks and they should look fine, but a UFO as a big ugly rectangle might not. I'll see about shields first. They aren't going to be perfect but they should be better than nothing.

Although animated sprites in bB isn't automatic, it isn't too hard to do - you just redefine the player sprites every few frames or something.

Currently all the drawing objects except playfield blocks are being used.  So I might be able to add some semblance of shields with playfield blocks and they should look fine, but a UFO as a big ugly rectangle might not.  I'll see about shields first.  They aren't going to be perfect but they should be better than nothing.

If you make the player's ship block eight or twelve pixels wide, then you could use one missile to mask it. The other missile could be used to mask an eight- or twelve-pixel UFO at the top of the screen.

Currently all the drawing objects except playfield blocks are being used.  So I might be able to add some semblance of shields with playfield blocks and they should look fine, but a UFO as a big ugly rectangle might not.  I'll see about shields first.  They aren't going to be perfect but they should be better than nothing.

If you make the player's ship block eight or twelve pixels wide, then you could use one missile to mask it. The other missile could be used to mask an eight- or twelve-pixel UFO at the top of the screen.

942179[/snapback]

I think I might do this, (probably 8-wide tank and 12-wide UFO) because the UFO needs to move slowly, which means that playfield blocks alone won't work well. It will require making the shots two pixels wide so the tank is symmetrical, but that's a minor concession.

Holy crap! How'd you manage to make each of the invaders independantly destroyable? I thought you'd have to use two player sprites and a lot of clever TIA tweaking to get that many characters on the screen at once with Batari BASIC, and that would result in severe limitations as to which of them could be removed from the playfield. Has Batari BASIC advanced that far since I last used it?

JR

Holy crap!  How'd you manage to make each of the invaders independantly destroyable?  I thought you'd have to use two player sprites and a lot of clever TIA tweaking to get that many characters on the screen at once with Batari BASIC, and that would result in severe limitations as to which of them could be removed from the playfield.  Has Batari BASIC advanced that far since I last used it?

JR

942434[/snapback]

The kernel is pretty much the same.

The column of 5 invaders is one long sprite. Both players use the same sprite and NUSIZ for triple copies.

Turning the individual invaders off is another trick - both sprites are actually black, and the invaders are actually invader-shaped holes, and what you are seeing are playfield blocks through the holes. So the trick is to keep the playfield blocks and invader holes aligned and just turn off the individual blocks when shot.

Here's the latest build with shields and UFO. It's currently using too many cycles so there may be some screen jitters occasionally - I'm working on reducing the number of cycles somehow...

bBinv2.bin

Turning the individual invaders off is another trick - both sprites are actually black, and the invaders are actually invader-shaped holes, and what you are seeing are playfield blocks through the holes.  So the trick is to keep the playfield blocks and invader holes aligned and just turn off the individual blocks when shot.

This is a neat trick. Incidentally, you can see the effect in z26 by turning off the sprites using ALT-Z and ALT-X.

Chris

Turning the individual invaders off is another trick - both sprites are actually black, and the invaders are actually invader-shaped holes, and what you are seeing are playfield blocks through the holes.  So the trick is to keep the playfield blocks and invader holes aligned and just turn off the individual blocks when shot.

This is a neat trick. Incidentally, you can see the effect in z26 by turning off the sprites using ALT-Z and ALT-X.

Chris

942483[/snapback]

This is exactly the kind of stuff I was hoping to see in relation to the bBasic contest.

It would be nice to ultimately see this get applied to a more original game concept, however.

This is exactly the kind of stuff I was hoping to see in relation to the bBasic contest.

It would be nice to ultimately see this get applied to a more original game concept, however.

942524[/snapback]

Totally unoriginal, yes, but still fun.

Anyway, here's the latest build. Invaders move down and speed up now, though lots of gameplay elements have yet to be added and there are still bugs.

I'll post source this time. I Had to resort to some inline asm :| but only to help speed up playfield commands.

Source also isn't heavily commented :( will do so in time...

bBinv5.bin

bBinv5.bas

942524[/snapback]

Totally unoriginal, yes, but still fun.

Anyway, here's the latest build. Invaders move down and speed up now, though lots of gameplay elements have yet to be added and there are still bugs.

I'll post source this time. I Had to resort to some inline asm :| but only to help speed up playfield commands.

Source also isn't heavily commented :( will do so in time...

943564[/snapback]

:thumbsup: Very impressive.

Another update: game is beginning to shape up.

You can clear a screen of invaders and they move down a row for the next screen. Also, they can reach the earth and end the game. Plus various bugfixes.

There's still bugs - known bugs are with collision detection (bullet vs. invader) and sometimes the invaders drop right down on you without going side to side.

Also, the invaders do not shoot yet, and the UFO isn't shootable yet. But anyway... let me know if I anything's not right.

bBinv7.bin

bBinv7.bas

• 2 years later...

Since batari Basic has more features than it used to, has anyone tried to update batari's Space Invaders game? Now that each playfield row can be a different color, I bet the game could look even better.

Edited by Random Terrain

I have a version dated May 24, 2006 that does have different-colored invaders. The colors stay put while the invaders move down, but that's just how it was with the overlays in the SI Deluxe arcade game :) Other than that, it doesn't appear to have improved much over the previous version. Not sure if I ever posted the source, either, so that's included.

bBinv8.bas.bin

bBinv8.bas

I have a version dated May 24, 2006 that does have different-colored invaders. The colors stay put while the invaders move down, but that's just how it was with the overlays in the SI Deluxe arcade game :) Other than that, it doesn't appear to have improved much over the previous version. Not sure if I ever posted the source, either, so that's included.

I did notice you have to add "set legacy 0.99" to get it to compile correctly.

-Jeff

Edited by jwierer

Thanks. I'll play with the code for fun!

Brilliant! Absolutely Brilliant! Nice work as usual!

• 2 years later...

Brilliant! Absolutely Brilliant! Nice work as usual!

Wow! Cool technique!