IGNORED

CNET - Create your own Atari 2600 homebrew games

Thomas Jentzsch

Why was it called "create your own Atari 2600 homebrew games" when all they did was show you how run an EMU and some homebrews.......There was nothing on there about "Creating". :ponder:

Fun to see that stuff on tv though.

931882[/snapback]

Yeah, I thought it was going to mention batari Basic, but I don't think that guy even knows about it.

Why was it called "create your own Atari 2600 homebrew games" when all they did was show you how run an EMU and some homebrews.......There was nothing on there about "Creating". :ponder:

931882[/snapback]

Yeah, it's always interesting to see how homebrew games get portrayed in more mainstream media. I was intrigued by the title of the segment, but not really surprised that there was very little about actually creating your own homebrew games. Still, cool to see some homebrew games in the spotlight, and amusingly both SCSIcide and Marble Craze have appeared on TV before (Joe Grand and Paul Slocum each had separate appearances on G4/TechTV). And it was nice to see the Stelladaptor get a mention as well.

Thanks Thomas for bringing this to our attention!

..Al

I'm kind of bummed out that they didn't at least mention Stella as another choice for an emulator. Sometimes it's a real letdown to spend months working on something, and then nobody acknowledges it. I would have thought it would be mentioned, seeing as it's the only 2600 emulator available for Linux, OSX and Win32.

Heaven knows we're not into this hobby for the money, so some recognition is the only form of 'payment' one can get ...

Steve

Edited by stephena

Ahh, here is the "Creating part" : http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11261_7-62989...html?tag=viddet

I like the quote from the end of the clip that said homebrewing was a  "Flourishing Business".

-Tim

932008[/snapback]

Yeah, I nearly spit my drink out at that line. :) As for Stella not being recognized, not sure why they chose to highlight z26. Probably just random happenstance. They are both good emulators. If someone searches for "Atari 2600 Emulation" in Google, the first hit is our 2600 Emulation page, which lists Stella first. ;)

..Al

Fun to see that stuff on tv though.

931882[/snapback]

Yeah, I thought it was going to mention batari Basic, but I don't think that guy even knows about it.

931885[/snapback]

Clearly not, from the webpage:

Coding 2600 titles from scratch

The exhaustive Atari Age even has the last word with regard to coding resources, with an excellent 2600 coding page that links to Kirk Israel's superlative "2600 101" basic tutorial. The introduction notes that the Atari 2600 is "a very quirky beast [since] it has very little memory or other resources to work with" before explaining the vagaries of the game system. You'll obviously need to program using assembly language all the way--no wimpy C++ here.

However, it does link to AA's 2600 coding page which contains a link to bB, so it's better than nothing.

I'm kind of bummed out that they didn't at least mention Stella as another choice for an emulator.  Sometimes it's a real letdown to spend months working on something, and then nobody acknowledges it.  I would have thought it would be mentioned, seeing as it's the only 2600 emulator available for Linux, OSX and Win32.

Heaven knows we're not into this hobby for the money, so some recognition is the only form of 'payment' one can get ...

Steve

931936[/snapback]

They didn't mention Stellalist either.

But all this stuff is interconnected on the web. People will find out indirectly.

Sorry about that mini Stella rant.  We've just been burnt out over the past few months trying to get a new release together, and I should probably have stepped away from the computer instead of writing a reply :)

932526[/snapback]

Don worry, we love Stella :lust:

BTW. Does the new release have a video capture something implemented?

Edited by attendo

• 1 year later...

Very belated THANKS for posting this. I have been wondering about downloading games that aren't on carts to play on the PC...this helped a lot! Bummer I am not very good with computers! I did take one programming course - in about 1985 - on a TRS-80. :lolblue: The only part of programming I remember is CH$. Back then I was really good! I could make my name scroll all over the screen! :cool: Funny everyone says my Atari 2600 is so old-school but I remember sitting at a TRS-80 playing Space Invaders. Everything was all Xs and Os to make up the images. And I would go home to my high-tech Atari and think how very lucky I was...... :lust:

I'm kind of bummed out that they didn't at least mention Stella as another choice for an emulator. Sometimes it's a real letdown to spend months working on something, and then nobody acknowledges it. I would have thought it would be mentioned, seeing as it's the only 2600 emulator available for Linux, OSX and Win32.

Steve

I wouldn't worry too much.

Stella is probably the most high profile 2600 emulator out there... z26 is more obscure.