IGNORED

liking the "inferior" version

sigma

To me it's not so much a matter of inferior versions, rather it's on a system that has the minimum capabilities for pulling off a game to its full gameplay potential.

Take Tetris as an example. The 2600 is barely capable of pulling it off without losing something in the translation. Not a game I'd necessarily want to own on that system (as much as I love my 4-switch woody). On the other end of the spectrum, an SNES or PS1 are overkill. The NES, however, has the ability to fully represent this game without holding back its full power.

Even though I own 'Battletoads' and 'Battletoads & Double Dragon' for Genesis, I would rather have the NES versions. I'm not actively seeking to replace them, but I'd rather own games that were "made for" a particular generation. On a brief but related tangent, I guess that's why emulation will never "do it" for me.

- Jason

"Inferior" is a subjective term. Better graphics and sound do not a superior game make.

There are plenty of games that by rights should be more popular on better systems. For example, every later version of Pitfall! looks better than the 2600 version, and yet it's the 2600 version we always come back to. The game was just so perfect on that system that sprucing it up on the other systems only seemed to take something away somehow.

Now, if you were to ask me if there was a game where, having been released for two different generations of systems at the same time, I liked the older system's port better, I would say yes: Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3. The Saturn version was a little too arcade perfect, in that the incompleteness of the arcade game showed (only four characters actually had bios). On the other hand, the SNES and Genesis ports had almost everything the arcade game had, and even a little more. They ended up with the best examples of what Mortal Kombat 3 should have been, even counting the later Mortal Kombat Trilogy.

Edited by skunkworx

How about liking a console game better than the original arcade game? I like Lock 'N' Chase on the Atari 2600 better than the arcade version and the same for Solar Fox.

932729[/snapback]

Burgertime on the Intellivision > Burgertime in the arcade.

This is much more common now that arcades are extinct. Remember how amazing Tekken and Soul Calibur were when they came out for being more than the originals?

Spcae Invaders for the 2600 was much better than the arcade version.

932741[/snapback]

I agree completely. Same for San Francisco Rush on the N64

Gah.. that just drives me bonkers when people say that :lol: But to each his own I guess ;)

Personally I dig SNES Starfox over any Starfox's that came out after it. Maybe it's the music.

932747[/snapback]

Greengrocer's apostrophe aside, I think the music is MUCH better than that , and I like the pacing more than SF64 too. I haven't played the Cube version yet, but it sounds like it's another step down. It would be great to see all 3 remixed together with modern graphics. On a portable. :)

I like a lot of the arcade ports on the 7800 much better than their (better looking) NES ports. The gameplay, of course, is king. The poor 7800 gets no respect. Great little system though.

I also agree with that intv Bugrertime is better than the arcade.

Punch out for the NES is better than the SNES version (although the SNES version is actually Super punch out). Same goes for Mario Kart. The SNES one is superior to all others.

I agree with Joeybastard about pitfall. I'll go a little further....I don't like Pitfall on the CV either.

Edited by Lord Helmet

Some people here are listing sequels or future games in a series that they don't like as much as the original. I think the question being asked is about different versions of the same game. Saying you like Super Mario Kart better than Mario Kart 64 isn't really relevant here.

As someone already mentioned, I almost always prefer playing games on the original platform they were programmed for. Games that were "ported" down (to an inferior console) or "ported" up (to a superior console) seldom have the same appeal as the original port. Some examples of technologically "inferior" versions that I prefer:

-Pretty much ALL Activision VCS games, especially Pitfall and HERO.

-Most arcade games "ported down" to the NES by Capcom and Konami (ie: Contra, Bionic Commando, etc)

-NES Battletoads

For me, the VCS Pac-Man isn't as damn confusing as the arcade version. But, then again, Pac-Man is possibly my least favorite "classic" game, ever.

I do prefer playing Stargate (aka Defender II) on VCS more than I like playing arcade Defender, though. The day there is an arcade-perfect port of Stargate with matching gazillion-button controller, I will spontaneously combust with excitement.

PS I know about MAME but havent found any PC joysticks that recreate a Stargate machine well enough for my liking.

PS I know about MAME but havent found any PC joysticks that recreate a Stargate machine well enough for my liking.

That's why you build your own. :P

On-topic: I prefer 2600 Super Breakout to the 5200 version. The solid rows of bricks looks better than the arcade-accurate segmentation of the 5200 ver. Ditto for the sound.

There was an off-brand clone of Pac-Man for the VIC-20 that was pretty popular. Snack-Man was sold primarily through a little black-and-white ad in the back of computer magazines, and many pirate cassettes circulated as well.

It wasn't even an official Pac-Man game, but I liked it better than the official versions I played. The game used the VIC-20's character tile graphics, which jumped across the screen by eight-pixel steps, but is was so fast you couldn't tell; when I played the Atari-8-bit version later, the official game seemed sluggish.

For me, the VCS Pac-Man isn't as damn confusing as the arcade version. But, then again, Pac-Man is possibly my least favorite "classic" game, ever.

I do prefer playing Stargate (aka Defender II) on VCS more than I like playing arcade Defender, though. The day there is an arcade-perfect port of Stargate with matching gazillion-button controller, I will spontaneously combust with excitement.

Pac-Man confusing?

From a guy who can at least take on arcade Star Gate?

Huh.

Yeah, I know it's weird. I guess it's not so much that Pac-Man confuses me as that... I just don't get it. I get what I'm supposed to be doing and everything, I just don't enjoy it at all. I constantly try to figure out the patterns of the ghosts, and end up overthinking.

Stargate... to me, is less of a challenge than Pac-Man. I like just... knowing that I have to shoot everything. I can't really put it into words better than this, so I probably still sound like an idiot :D but that's fine by me.

Pac-Man = bad, Stargate = good.

PS my personal Stargate record is somewhere in the 70,000's... not anything special but, I don't suck at it, at least I don't think I do. I'll try to come up with a better way to explain the Pac-Man thing.

Edited by ~llama

I prefer Defender to Stargate.. I guess the additional inviso button always just threw me off :lol: (although actually it supposedly makes the game easier arcording to some people I know)

Speaking of which I scored a personal 70k best only the other day. Embarrasingly it was on one of those 'multi-williams' machines (which most arcade collectors gag at). But hey, it has the original control panel scheme w/ functioning new controllers. So I dig it :D

Yep 70k.. Sure it aint the MILLIONS of points the arcade hotshots used to be able to pull off a Defender cab but since I always had problems even reaching 10k for an extra man, I'm happy with it :P

932741[/snapback]

I agree completely. Same for San Francisco Rush on the N64

932759[/snapback]

As much as I loved collecting all the keys in the N64 version (and yes, I did pull that off... :ponder: ) I preferred the arcade version better. Same with Rush 2049. :ponder: But getting back onto topic, I'll say Tekken 3. Nobody thought that it could be ported to the PS1... yet somehow Namco pulled it off and added in that Tekken Force mode and more playable characters, too. Namco is king at doing stuff like that. :lust:

Edited by ferrarimanf355