IGNORED

Asteroids source/disassembly?

Feralstorm

Thanks again for the disassembly. I'm in the middle of a hack which will get lost in the wealth of Asteroids hacks out there, along with a test or two of graphic experiments. I'm just a bit-hacker, but there's a lot one can do in bit hacking when one has a roadmap.

Which leads me to a follow-up question for anyone willing to listen. Is there a way (with bit-hacking) to disable the difficulty switch check? My goal is to set the UFOs as on regardless of the switch position.

Thanx in advance

Which leads me to a follow-up question for anyone willing to listen. Is there a way (with bit-hacking) to disable the difficulty switch check? My goal is to set the UFOs as on regardless of the switch position.

:idea: Search for SWCHB (probably BIT SWCHB) and where the two highest bits are checked (probably by bpl/bmi and bvc/bvs).

Thanks again for the aid. I managed to do what I was shooting for mostly by trial and error, since I was bit-hacking as opposed to assembly-hacking. Sorta like turning on and off lamps in your home by pounding the circuit breaker with a hammer. :) No apparent side-effects so far, so I'm hopeful.

I also stared over, using Sadistroids as a baseline this time (since it already had a few things I wanted already in place.) Hope you don't mind... eheh.

Getting close to done either way - watch this space.

• 2 weeks later...
Okee-doke.

I'm beta-testing/playtesting and tweaking, mostly so the "slow" game doesn't totally kick my ass. :)

939741[/snapback]

In cases of checking just to make sure that the game mechanics work as expected, I usually add in cheat options to the assembly file (most game cheats are easily added by looking though the listing for collision register checks). For example:

BIT CXPPMM;check player/player collisions
     BPL LXXXX;branch if no collision

...could be changed to be:

IF CHEAT
     JMP LXXXX;always skip to the "no collsions" address
     NOP;extra byte
 ELSE
     BIT CXPPMM;check player/player collisions
     BPL LXXXX;branch if no collision
 ENDIF

Then at the top of the assembly, you can set CHEAT to be 0 or 1 before you assemble the binary.

'Course, not all games use collision registers ;)