IGNORED

request: Video Olympics additional games

appleo

Quadrapong (one player per side of the screen - top/bottom/right/left)

Pong Doubles - or one that looks just like pong, but 2 players each side, each player gets 1/2 of the court

"true" arcade pong - make the score/etc look exactly like the arcade. the "arcade pong" included with Flashback 2 looks like a 2600 game, not the 1972 arcade game. see the pong emulator "Pong v2.7" by (L)ord(N)ick (Soft)ware at

http://www.pong-story.com/pcpong.htm

now THAT feels like 1972!

Pong Doubles - or one that looks just like pong, but 2 players each side, each player gets 1/2 of the court

"true" arcade pong - make the score/etc look exactly like the arcade. the "arcade pong" included with Flashback 2 looks like a 2600 game, not the 1972 arcade game. see the pong emulator "Pong v2.7" by (L)ord(N)ick (Soft)ware at

936370[/snapback]

Arcade pong is on Flashback 2.

I know, I said that - but it doesn't really look or feel like an original 1972 Pong, it looks+feels like an Atari 2600 pong circa 1982 or 83.

936370[/snapback]

Arcade pong is on Flashback 2.

938130[/snapback]

I know, I said that - but it doesn't really look or feel like an original 1972 Pong, it looks+feels like an Atari 2600 pong circa 1982 or 83.
"true" arcade pong - make the score/etc look exactly like the arcade. the "arcade pong" included with Flashback 2 looks like a 2600 game, not the 1972 arcade game.

I've got you maybe half way there. :D

post-6060-1128314728_thumb.png

Just gotta get somebody with assembly skills to fill in the blanks :lol:

Kernel works. Nothing else implemented yet. :D Use paddle 0 and paddle 1 to control the left and right, um, paddles.

Source included, so hack away.

apong.bin

APONG_source.zip

Edited by vdub_bobby

Is it normal that I can't move the paddles?

943988[/snapback]

To make it work in Stella you'll have to make an entry for the .pro file so that it knows to use paddles. Try this:

"Cartridge.MD5" "ccc39ed7e650240bad43cdce681762b1"

"Cartridge.Name" "Arcade Pong"

"Cartridge.Note" "Uses the Paddle Controllers"

"Controller.Left" "Paddles"

"Controller.Right" "Paddles"

"Display.Format" "NTSC"

""

For z26, use these command line switches: -)PC -m0

Then you can use the mouse to move the left paddle and the keyboard to move the right paddle.

Is it normal that I can't move the paddles?

943988[/snapback]

To make it work in Stella you'll have to make an entry for the .pro file so that it knows to use paddles. Try this:

"Cartridge.MD5" "ccc39ed7e650240bad43cdce681762b1"

"Cartridge.Name" "Arcade Pong"

"Cartridge.Note" "Uses the Paddle Controllers"

"Controller.Left" "Paddles"

"Controller.Right" "Paddles"

"Display.Format" "NTSC"

""

OK, that went way over my head. I'm not a programmer, but if you tell me where to enter all this information in Stella (i'm a mac user), I could figure it out easily.

UPDATE: Nevermind, found it!

Edited by carpecarne

Uhhh...I entered the information into the .pro file and still nothing happens. Did I do something wrong? Is entering an entry as easy as opening it in TextEdit and then copy and paste the information?

944006[/snapback]

Yeah...open stella.pro, paste in that entry, save stella.pro, and run stella. Should work. If it doesn't, I dunno. :( Works for me. :?

• 4 weeks later...
Are there any games in the Home Pong systems that aren't present in Video Olympics for the 2600?

934452[/snapback]

YES! There's a game on one of the Atari PONGs which is called Catch! Instead of moving a paddle up and down you are moving a space up and down in the vertical walls. Object of the game is to catch the ball and score! If the ball bounces off above your space it is deflected up and if it bounces off below your space it is deflected down. For two to four persons. The team players move their spaces along the same vertical walls which can create confusion about which space is your player. Fast and fun!

I remember back in 1977 being very disappointed to see that Catch was

not an option on the Video Olympics cart (Pong Sports). :sad:

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

953467[/snapback]

• 7 months later...

Here's a new version of the Arcade Pong game.

APong.asm - July 02_01 version

-paddles shorter (snuck in prev changelist really)

-net thinner

-collision with paddles work correctly (always rebound away)

-score digits taller (but not tall enough)

-changed digit font to match arcade pong

-1 period filter on paddle read (probably too slow - commented out)

-digits are now gray (but also ball...)

-digits are now right justified

-move digit position to be more like arcade pong

-removed bottom and top lines which were not in arcade pong

I haven't added sound but I don't have any reference to what it should sound like.

So far the best references for Pong was the screenshots at KLOV.

Any additional info or comments on this version is appreciated.

If you have good arcade Pong screenshots or wave files of the sound effects and where to use them, post 'em up!

- David

APongJuly02.bin

• 3 weeks later...

I could have swore I have Pong on a cartridge, the cartridge was called pong, now I have to dig through all my old cartridges I am almost positive I have a cartridge called pong. It was one of the very first cartridges bought for me.

I remember I recieved my Arati VCS (Sears Video Arcade) the first games I had were Pong Sports, Target Fun two of those since it came with one also as a pack in cartridge. Gun Slingers, Space Combat and Outer Space and Tank Plus.

Those were my very first games.

Wade

• 5 years later...

Yes, I took VDUB's kernel plus Dan Boris's reverse engineering of the 1972 PONG and made a version that looks and plays like the 1972 arcade version.

I think there's another thread with a more up to date version somewhere else and I have a more complete unposted version on my computer.

I was going to make a thread like this, and then I saw this old thread. Did anything ever come of this? Has anyone made a Pong game for the Atari 2600 that looks like the 1972 arcade version?

Edited by djmips

Yes, I took VDUB's kernel plus Dan Boris's reverse engineering of the 1972 PONG and made a version that looks and plays like the 1972 arcade version.

I think there's another thread with a more up to date version somewhere else and I have a more complete unposted version on my computer.

That's awesome. Can you post it? I would like to have something like that made into a cartridge to play on real hardware.