IGNORED

Why buy homebrew?

Atari Master

They say there is no such thing as a stupid question. But statements such as this may challange that saying.

I myself have only bought on Homebrew...and that was Andrew Davis's QB game. That game while borrowing ideas from several games is actually quite new and fresh. Plus it is lots of fun and looks like one of the newer released games that Atari themselves might have put out.

In truth the reason to buy Homebrews is partly as a collecting thing...and also to provide some small support for the individuals who actually took the time to think them out and program them. The 2600 is not the easiest thing in the world to code for. These guys deserve some reward for their efforts in keeping the machines alive.

BTW...I still owe Andrew for the second QB cart...

I have three homebrew games now, QB, Jammed and SCSIcide. I bought the first two from Hoser and got the third from the author himself. I don't know why I bought them, but I just think it is cool that people are still programming for this system. I figure that if Atari was still making games for the 2600 and 7800, I probably would still buy them.

quote:

Originally posted by Atari Master:

Why do you guys buy homebrew games?I don't really like hombrew unless the game is fun and I havent even bought one yet.I wouldent spend no $30 on a pac-man with it's lable ripped off.

Are there homebrew Atari systems?

That is easy to anwser, because they are fun! Sounds like you are really asking, "Why does anyone buy any video games at all?". If you need a anwser to that questions perhaps you are in the wrong message board.

The games are bought for various reasons the most common are they are collectable and they are simply fun to play.

The prices for the Homebrewed games range from $10 - $30 depending on the game size, manual, box, etc.

Yes, there are various Homebrewed Atari 2600 systems around. I know of two, the VCSp and the 2600 CE. Neither of which is mass produced, but have/are being created.

NE146 you made a good point with out meaning to i think. When you said you bought your atari games new at sears back in the day. Thats the thing with homebrews and why most sell for 15 to 25 bucks at hozer for example.They are new and people have to make the games the labels and boxs and manuels! How much is a new PS2 or XBOX game when it first comes out around what $50 bucks?

I only buy the homebrews that are new ideas/games.I do not buy the 'hacks' like all the space invaders games that are listed at hozer vidio.I also buy the homebrews because I can not program the 2600 and think it is really neat that someone else can, and those programmers should be compensated for doing so.As far as the homebrews not being 'originals',they do work in the original atari 2600/vcs;Besides, I have all the 'original' Atari brand games anyway,and eagerly await each new homebrew that is made.

quote:

Atari Master I ment that it's almost like there fake.I'm going to try and lern to program them one day but the thing is, I need to buy and old programing book.Right now I just buy the originals.

I'm not saying homebrews are evil i'm just saying there not official.

This reminds me of the first time that I ever saw an Activision game, back in 1980. My reaction at the time: "Hey, how can they make games for the Atari? Only Atari can make games for their system."

And those first Activision boxes looked like cheap crap as well. Good thing the games were great.

I have to agree with Junie. I buy games because I like them. It's a personal taste thing. Not only have I bought a number of 2600 homebrews but I have preordered some 5200 homebrews too. I also like to support homebrewers where I can. To me, getting a fresh game for a classic system is great.

Now as for the cost well they vary for different reasons. Most authors ask for just $5 for their game. The other money goes toward production of the cart. Those shells, PCBs, and EPROMS aren't free you know.

There has been talk before about 2600 homebrewers distributing the ROM to play on a Supercharger or Cuttle Cart but for me, I like having a cart in hand. Besides everyone doesn't have a Supercharger or Cuttle Cart to run these on the original system.

quote:

Originally posted by KBeXpress:

NE146 you made a good point with out meaning to i think. When you said you bought your atari games new at sears back in the day. Thats the thing with homebrews and why most sell for 15 to 25 bucks at hozer for example.They are new and people have to make the games the labels and boxs and manuels! How much is a new PS2 or XBOX game when it first comes out around what $50 bucks?

Yes, but games of today are seriously powerfull and takes months to develop.I know it takes a wile to develope Atari games but these take about a year.

[ 04-10-2002: Message edited by: Atari Master ]

I've just recently started trying to learn 6502 machine language, and it can be a

tough language to program in, and is

especially difficult to debug. I can

imagine that it takes a lot of time and

talent to code a quality game in machine

language, particularly considering the

tight memory constraints of the 2600. To

echo what's already been said, I guess I

feel that it's important to support the

people who put the time and effort into

programming these homebrews. They're

producing great games and helping keep the hobby alive.

Consider that in the early 80's game companies were selling games for about the same price. And many companies then that sold MANY more units than homebrewers do today still went out of business. I sell my cartridges for $30, and I've done rough estimates of time spent versus money made. I figured out that I would make MUCH better money per hour flipping burgers. I charge what I need to in order to make it feasible for me to continue doing it.

I have no idea how Randy makes 2k/4k carts for $11. But then again, he's said that sometimes his books are in the red. I can't afford to be in the red.

-paul

quote:

Originally posted by ubersaurus:

Yeah, how long did Thrust take, 14 months or something?

Actually it took about 18 months all together.

But since this was my very first project for the 2600, I had to learn the 2600 basics first and (of course) made some errors. And remember, Thrust is almost 16K, my "normal sized" 4K Jammed with all the knowledge I had from the previous project, still took about 4 months.