IGNORED

What's your beef with Nintendo?

tmont

During the N64 days people were complaing that Nintnedo wasn't putting out enough games and now it's that they're milking their franchises, some people are just never happy.

The main reason Nintendo 'milks' it's franchises is because the consumer keeps buying them. If Mario Party 6 sells over a million copies there's no reason moneywise not to make a Mario Party 7, 8, or 9. If consumers didn't want sequels they wouldn't be buying them.

I'd love it if each Mario Party could embed all the minigames that came before it...

Mario Kart on the cube is alot of fun..

F-Zero is amazing..

I love my Advance Wars DS..

And yes I have owned all current Generation systems, and still think..

That apart from some stellar titles on all systems, the whole video game industry needs another crash badly.

It's fallen into a simplistic genre showcase that doesn't nearly push anything..

And Yes I'm looking forward to Lawyer and doctor games the DS has comming out. Hurray, whats been the last surgical game since Micro Surgeon on a console?

Innovation is near extinct.

Mario Kart on the cube is alot of fun..

F-Zero is amazing..

I love my Advance Wars DS..

And yes I have owned all current Generation systems, and still think..

That apart from some stellar titles on all systems, the whole video game industry needs another crash badly.

It's fallen into a simplistic genre showcase that doesn't nearly push anything..

And Yes I'm looking forward to Lawyer and doctor games the DS has comming out. Hurray, whats been the last surgical game since Micro Surgeon on a console?

Innovation is near extinct.

941575[/snapback]

Unlikely but I agree. When I walk into a dreaded Gamestop I cringe at all the crap that I see. A few gems line the walls but for the majority I feel like I'm enclosed in a tomb of garbage.

I have tried a lot of systems in my time and I still have a Nintendo 64. I had a NES for years, 3 in fact but I also possessed a SNES, Master System, Mega Drive, Atari 2600, 7800, Jaguar, Game Boy, Game Gear, PlayStation and the system I have now and use all the time Playstation 2. Why did I move over to Sony, simple reason I wanted to play Alien Trilogy and since then I have stayed with Sony for no other reason than personal preference. The only reason I thought about getting a Game Cube was for their Star Wars games and the only reason why I thought about getting an X-Box was for HALO but I bought the Playstation 2 and stuck with it.

I always preferred the Mega Drive over the SNES simply because the games were cheaper and Sega had Sonic but I preferred the NES over the Master System because it had Mario. I was sad when Sega killed off Sonic but it had to be done for there was very little else that could have been done with him and the same is true for Mario. They need something new and when you see Mario being rehashed into a baseball game you have to cry enough is enough. I have to admit that I too am getting sick of Mario although I did enjoy Mario 64 which was where they should have ended the project.

Nintendo is still a good company and I dont think it deserves the stick it is getting for it has outlasted its rivals over the years and has had some pretty decent games. What is needs now though is to shed the Mario image and seek out a new mascot for the next generation. It also should incorporate into its new system the abiltity to be backwards compatible with all its previous games such as NES, SNES N-64 etc which would put it head and shoulders above the rest of the competition but I seriously doubt that it would ever happen.

As long as Nintendo keeps making Mario platformers, I'll contunie to buy, play and very much enjoy them. They're consistantly among the best platformers in their generation. I have no interest in Mario Kart, Party, Tennis, Baseball or whatever, but others enjoy them and I have no problem with that. If a sequel to Luigi's Mansion comes out for the Revo, I'll be among the first to buy that one.

Apart from the NES, the current Nintendo system was never my only console per generation, but I've always bought one, and always enjoyed it.

-S

The only beef I have with Nintendo is the abandonment of lightgun games. I love the NES lightgun games and would love to see new ones for the Revolution. Otherwise, they have always had the library of games that I preferred to play. It makes no difference to me if the character is Mario or anybody else if the gameplay is solid. I have always found the various Mario games to be fun and that's what I'm looking for. I just don't think Mario Tennis or Mario Kart would be any better or worse with different characters if the gameplay was the same.

I got to try the Mario Baseball in TRU the other night. It was fun. I wouldn't consider it as my only Baseball game but it's nice alternative to the hyperrealistic games that usually come out for sports titles.

Edited by joeybastard

When did sega kill off sonic?  I must have missed that memo.

941891[/snapback]

Sega is making a new Sonic game for the PS3.

942013[/snapback]

Actually they said it would most likely be on all systems. And i was responding to someone elses comment on how sega killed off sonic.

942027[/snapback]

Yeah i'm excited that they are bringing back Sonic! I think it would be cool to play Sonic on XBox360 and PS3. I've just read where you responded to the other poster, i just thought that since the other poster said they killed off Sonic that you didn't know that they were making a new game.

if it has Mario in it, it will NOT be a good game.

Hooray for being closed minded!

941192[/snapback]

Yay for being a tool!

There's no secret that a majority, if not all the "Mario games" have certain recipe. A cutesy, simple game with all the usual characters. Some say it's fun and that's great for them. For me, it's old, stale, and uninspired gaming. There's no doubt Nintendo has some creative people. Just want to see something a bit unique and not the same thing reprocessed over and over again..

941310[/snapback]

Ouch. Anyway, you do bring up a good point. To some, Mario is stale and uninspiring after all these years. Perhaps my standards of gaming have sunk low, or perhaps they were always there. I'll have to take some time and think about that one. :) I guess I never really get "old" of the "old" characters from back in the day that have survived to this decade in good health and thriving (for some gamers, anyway). Some games make me groan, however, but I think I could play a game from system to system with the same characters and be overly joyed with them. Let's sight an example: All the various Pokemon games for the GBA. I've "tried them all" and still find each one fascinating. The little things they change from game to game seem to be enough to entertain me. Heh.. :ponder:

-Steve

I have high expectations when it comes to games, and i don't think every mario game is a winner. But just not playing a game because mario is in it seems silly. Sunshine is among the best platformers ever made.

I don't think i have ever strongly disliked a mario game, some are better than others but they aren't bad games in general.

The other weird thing is...it's like Nintendo can't win, because a lot of people thought the new (and pretty damn cool and intereting) Water Pack (especially in jet mode) was just not "Mario enough".

Probably both the Mario Waterpack and the distinctive forgiveness of Metroid Prime is Nintendo dealing with the issue of jumping being too fussy in 3D platform games.

What's the water pack?

942500[/snapback]

It's Mario's gadget in Super Mario Sunshine. Let's you hose down stuff. You can also hover with it. Beyond that I don't know as I usually lose interest in the game five minutes in :P.

Regarding the original topic, I see in terms of games, not systems or companies. I'll buy a system if it has ample games that are interesting to me (which is why I don't own an XBox yet, or a Jaguar for that matter).

- Jason

The other weird thing is...it's like Nintendo can't win, because a lot of people thought the new (and pretty damn cool and intereting) Water Pack (especially in jet mode) was just not "Mario enough".

Nah I don't think it had anything to do with that. Mario Sunshine was an OK game for the cube but it has its problems. To say it didn't have them would be like being in denial. The game did did well but let's talk about why people criticized it at the time it came out. Quoting a few lines from Jeff Gerstmann's gamespot Sunshine review:

Nintendo's software lineup has always revolved around a core group of major characters who appear in games that, more often than not, turn into system sellers. You always get the impression that games featuring these characters are going to be given a little extra polish to ensure that everything comes together just right, even if it means that the game has to be delayed for months or years at a time. So, inevitably, games like Super Mario Sunshine are eagerly anticipated. Super Mario Sunshine is the first truly major release on Nintendo's GameCube, and it is the first starring role for Nintendo's most recognizable character on the system. Once you get past the excitement over the fact that the latest Mario game is finally here, you'll find a game that's generally pleasing but heavily reliant on a few new moves that seem more like gimmicks than gameplay innovations.

* Yoshi wasn't necessarily fun to play:

You'll also eventually get to ride on Mario's dinosaurlike sidekick, Yoshi, but unfortunately he seems like he was thrown in as an afterthought. Yoshi is only useful for his strange ability to spit fruit juice all over the place, which in turn is used for only one required puzzle and a handful of optional ones.

* Camera problems (biggest problem in my opinion)

Actually, much of the game's difficulty comes from having to keep the camera in check while performing Mario's otherwise simple tasks...you can swing the camera to wherever you like, but the minute you let go of the C stick, it quickly spins back around to its default position, which can be inconvenient. The game's camera problems are particularly noticeable in the episode that takes you behind the amusement park's Ferris wheel and the game's final boss fight.

* Bad FMV

Super Mario Sunshine's FMV also houses some of the lousiest voice-over work to be found on the GameCube. None of the voices fit particularly well. Princess Peach sounds too ditzy, Mario is limited to grunts and other nonverbal communications, and the game's bad guys are completely miscast and downright disappointing.

* Uninspiring music

Most of the game's music is good, but none of it really stands out. The updated version of the classic Mario theme that plays during the obstacle course levels seems like a forced tie to Mario's past.

* A mixed bag between fun and tedious. Shine objectives more of a chore than fun.

On its own merits, Super Mario Sunshine is a solid game with a really distinctive look and some great moments, but it also has its fair share of shortcomings. While the game isn't overly difficult, too many of the game's goals are the sort that make you think, "Well, at least I'll never have to do that again," immediately after completing them.

* Lack of innovation?

While some gamers will be able to look past or even embrace the fact that Super Mario Sunshine sticks extremely close to Super Mario 64's formula, others will find that the game suffers from a lack of innovation.

In spite of all of this, the game was ok. People either won't care or will be able to forgive these problems since after all it has Mario in it:

The game's technical issues and often-gimmicky design are still tougher to ignore, and they combine to make the game seem surprisingly unpolished and somewhat rushed at times. In the end, though, there's enough in Super Mario Sunshine to warrant a purchase, particularly when you consider that there really aren't any decent platformers to be found on the GameCube and that this really is the only new Mario game out there.

Then again, it's only one review and most other game news websites praised the game without looking at these issues. As far as I am concerned this topic has been discussed to death and most people already played it and made their minds.

What's the water pack?

942500[/snapback]

Regarding the original topic, I see in terms of games, not systems or companies. I'll buy a system if it has ample games that are interesting to me (which is why I don't own an XBox yet, or a Jaguar for that matter).

- Jason

942536[/snapback]

Agree. I'm actually considering selling my XBox as it's largely a DVD player. The Cube and even the Dreamcast just plain get more play.

The XBox is fantastic technically, but I just haven't found a lot of good, original XBox games.

just saw Mario Kart Ds today on Gamespy with video and pix. 8 player wireless mario kart sounds like alot of fun at Denny's around 3am in the morning with friends...

So I reserved 2 for my DS's at Gamestop!

Dan

And look at the videos before you start using this title as a 'Mario' punching bag.

* Lack of innovation?

While some gamers will be able to look past or even embrace the fact that Super Mario Sunshine sticks extremely close to Super Mario 64's formula, others will find that the game suffers from a lack of innovation.

942584[/snapback]

Poor Nintendo. If they innovate either people say they've "gone too far" or that they're being gimmicky, but if they just upgrade like everyone else, they're not innovative enough. I guess people want something new and original that is in no way different than everything else. Apparently they need to make a Mario game just like Mario 64 where you can go online to buy Mario some new clothes and to pimp your Yoshi. Oh, and it better be HDTV capable. Yeah, people will eat that up.

I don't like Nintendo because they competed with Atari. :D

Actually, what really pissed me off with Nintendo was when they killed Phear for the Jaguar. The game was virtually complete and people who played it said it was as addictive as Tetris. I love Tetris, so I was looking forward to this game. What happens? Nintendo saw how excellent the game was and proceeded to offer the authors $4 million to stop developing the Jaguar version and to destroy it! :x :x :x Nintendo then made it exclusively for the N64 and renamed it Tetrisphere (I believe it was one of their best selling products too). What a bunch of @##$%^%^&*(*(()(*^%$!!!!!

I don't know if the authors really destroyed their own hard work, or if it's somewhere lost in a hard drive or attic somewhere, but this still ticks me off. :x

I vowed NEVER to buy a Nintendo product - ever. I continue to fulfill this pledge to this day...

You sound like I do with Sega..back in the day when Sega produced and supported the Genesis, CD, and 32X, I bought them all, loved them as any video game player would, and fully put Sega into my corner for the "best" video game hardware developers out there.

Then Sega announced ALL support to the above three pieces of hardware were being discontinued.......I have a complete meltdown and vowed never to buy another Sega product again. The suddenness of their lack of support stunned me. I shook my fist in their general direction, cursing their very name. Sonic? HAH, blue hairball....Mario has class and style light years beyond him.

Well, those days are behind me, and now I regret not having kept my original setup. I'd kill to play those games today, but alas, they are gone. I need someone to refresh my memory here: I'm assuming that Sega was about to produce or had produced one of the more "modern" consoles after the Genesis...but what one was it? I can't seem to remember...if anyone can help me out here, I'd appreciate it.

-Steve

I don't like Nintendo because they competed with Atari.  :D

Actually, what really pissed me off with Nintendo was when they killed Phear for the Jaguar.  The game was virtually complete and people who played it said it was as addictive as Tetris.  I love Tetris, so I was looking forward to this game.  What happens?  Nintendo saw how excellent the game was and proceeded to offer the authors $4 million to stop developing the Jaguar version and to destroy it!  :x  :x  :x  Nintendo then made it exclusively for the N64 and renamed it Tetrisphere (I believe it was one of their best selling products too).  What a bunch of @##$%^%^&*(*(()(*^%$!!!!! 

I don't know if the authors really destroyed their own hard work, or if it's somewhere lost in a hard drive or attic somewhere, but this still ticks me off.  :x 

I vowed NEVER to buy a Nintendo product - ever.  I continue to fulfill this pledge to this day...

942688[/snapback]

I used to feel the same way. However, now we're in an industry where three companies known for predatory, questionable and even illegal business tactics are competing. It's pretty cool to watch, actually.