IGNORED

Tone Toy

Random Terrain

Update:

Use Tone Toy 2008 instead. It's better than Tone Toy:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-program-tone-toy-2008.html

BELOW IS THE OLD ORIGINAL VERSION FROM 2005

USE TONE TOY 2008 INSTEAD

Here's something I made the other day for finding sounds that I might want to use.

Move the joystick up or down to change the tone (distortion). Move the joystick left or right to change the frequency. If you want to move through the frequencies a little slower, just hold down the fire button while moving the joystick left or right.

post-13-1128228794_thumb.png

tone_toy_y2005m10d02e01.bin

tone_toy_y2005m10d02e01.bas

• 7 months later...

I've found this tool to be quite useful, I was using it today to try and nail down some sounds for the Jumpman demo game I've been working on. While I was working on it, I ended up spending a little time sprucing it up with the multisprite kernel. I made a few changes: the numbers scroll more slowly, and now the fire button adjusts the volume. A "heartbeat" indicator was added to the bottom that shows the relative settings for tone, frequency, and volume.

Hope you don't mind my modifications, RT, I'll remove this at your request if you like.

Steve

post-2143-1146600822_thumb.jpg

tonetoy2.bin

Edited by Atarius Maximus

How dare you defile my masterpiece! I demand satisfaction! :D

It doesn't bother me, especially if you made it better. I like improvement.

After batari Basic becomes a little more stable (meaning that it has pretty much all the commands it will ever have and they all work correctly), I plan to do more experimenting, so anything you can do to make the game making experience quicker, easier, and more fun will be greatly appreciated.

batari Basic is very much like languages I have used in the past and it seems if I am ever going to get any of my own games made before I die it will be using batari Basic. If I remember correctly, I'll be able to make 32k games, so I shouldn't have any trouble having the space to finish a game or two with my bloated spaghetti code.

After you get done with what you are working on, feel free to turn my maze game WIP (RUINS) into an actual game if you want:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=77015

When I start experimenting with bB again, I'll probably want to work on something new and that WIP will just sit around collecting dust.

How dare you defile my masterpiece! I demand satisfaction! :D

It doesn't bother me, especially if you made it better. I like improvement.

After batari Basic becomes a little more stable (meaning that it has pretty much all the commands it will ever have and they all work correctly), I plan to do more experimenting, so anything you can do to make the game making experience quicker, easier, and more fun will be greatly appreciated.

batari Basic is very much like languages I have used in the past and it seems if I am ever going to get any of my own games made before I die it will be using batari Basic. If I remember correctly, I'll be able to make 32k games, so I shouldn't have any trouble having the space to finish a game or two with my bloated spaghetti code.

After you get done with what you are working on, feel free to turn my maze game WIP (RUINS) into an actual game if you want:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=77015

When I start experimenting with bB again, I'll probably want to work on something new and that WIP will just sit around collecting dust.

Glad it didn't bother you, I was thinking after I posted it that maybe I should have asked you first. :)

I can understand your point about waiting until bB is in it's final release, I've used lots of workarounds to get my current game to work in bB. For me, it's kind of fun figuring it all out and making it work despite the minor problems, and helping batari find the bugs in the beta releases.

32k would be great -- I hope that much space is available for bB someday. I've spent the majority of my time in bB figuring out how to compress code and streamline everything as much as possible. It would be nice to just type in everything and not worry about how big and bloated it is. :D

I'll have to take a look at your RUINS game... I read the post but haven't played it yet.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

With newer versions of bB you can specify static playfields of higher resolution than the old 16x11 (or whatever) dynamic playfield.

EDIT: Plus the multi-sprite kernel allows more than 2 sprites onscreen without flicker. :)

Edited by vdub_bobby

• 16 years later...
30 minutes ago, Random Terrain said:

Yes it only shows Tone and Freq didn't see any way to control the volume. Just curious thought the original had the 6 boxes for both channels and was looking for a way to record samples at their respective volumes to compare signal strength in any given volume if that makes any sense 

4 minutes ago, ultima said:

Yes it only shows Tone and Freq didn't see any way to control the volume. Just curious thought the original had the 6 boxes for both channels and was looking for a way to record samples at their respective volumes to compare signal strength in any given volume if that makes any sense 

If you click on the link, you should see this:

tone-toy-2008-01.png