IGNORED

Soul Star

edsongodoy

• 3 months later...

any word so far on this then? I'm a late joiner here and I've only read the last 2 pages or so but I assume the gist is that someone got hold of a version and has been working on getting it fixed, de-bugged and released? Is there a site or something where we can see updates and preorder if that is the direction it goes? Or is it a case of "when we finish we'll tell you" type thing? trying to really bulk up my jag collection and I have a CD Drive on the way and this certainly looks like being one of the best games on the CD Drive, can we save progress with the mem track as well?

Sorry if I'm asking questions that might have been asked before, the topic hasn't had any activity in about 4 months so thought I'd give it a slap and wake it up a bit lol. look forward to hearing!

As far as I know it isn't released yet. I just hope they make sure that people who showed an interest in this thread are given the opportunity once it is ready. I'd hate to miss out on it. For now I've got it on Sega CD. ;)

AX

The only people who will miss out will be the ones who choose to miss out :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

As far as I know it isn't released yet. I just hope they make sure that people who showed an interest in this thread are given the opportunity once it is ready. I'd hate to miss out on it. For now I've got it on Sega CD. ;)

AX

I'm confused I thought it was already out in demo form much like Space War 2000 and Phase Zero, is that not the case? Or are you referring to a new release/version?

AX

I'm confused I thought it was already out in demo form much like Space War 2000 and Phase Zero, is that not the case? Or are you referring to a new release/version?

A corrupt version of this has been around for years. This version being worked on is from the only complete verison know to exist & will eventually be released to be played in all its glory.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I fully agree with the bobcat: what a pity a so promising game was not released.

Youtube is showing fixed versions so let's hope one day we will have the opportunity to play a finalized version.

I brought this topic up recently on another forum, I think Jagware's. In any case, I was told that they've stopped work on it for now, the people involved are too busy or have lost interest or both, that basically all that's left is fixing some of the FMV frame-by-frame and pixel-by-pixel. In any case, they have no intentions of releasing anything until it's completely fixed. I asked about releasing what's been done, I don't care about FMV anyway, and if it crashes there, it can be skipped by pressing the button. I figure what ever they've done, it's a vast improvement over the corrupt version and if they don't intend to do more, to release what's been done. I was told basically not to hold my breath.

While the game is on CD-R it will -never- be completely playable. The game is not ours to produce on pressed CDs. Until a viable hardware solution comes along to prevent the JagCD's crapness coming into play there's no point speaking any further on the subject.

• Like 1

Isn't that funny how people will work on something, lose interest, and then not want to share, leaving it to rot in obscurity lost to time in all likelihood. Why mention it, work on it, or tease anyone in the first place? No one said they had to finish it, but to simply move on and throw away what you did work on is well... a waste of your life. That's time they will never get back. ...off to play it on Sega CD. Oh well.

Isn't that funny how people will work on something, lose interest, and then not want to share, leaving it to rot in obscurity lost to time in all likelihood. Why mention it, work on it, or tease anyone in the first place? No one said they had to finish it, but to simply move on and throw away what you did work on is well... a waste of your life. That's time they will never get back. ...off to play it on Sega CD. Oh well.

Eh? We never said that, Ax.

Lost interest? No.

Want to share? Yes, freely, when it works and will work for everyone. That hasn't changed.

Why mention it? We didn't, this thread keeps getting bumped, I thought I'd do the right thing and put an end to the guess work/speculation/misinformation.

Nobody has moved on and thrown anything away, there are technical brick walls that prevent the project moving forward at this moment in time. Read the thread on Jagware and draw your own conclusion, instead of taking a 3rd parties take on what was written there.

I brought this topic up recently on another forum, I think Jagware's. In any case, I was told that they've stopped work on it for now, the people involved are too busy or have lost interest or both, that basically all that's left is fixing some of the FMV frame-by-frame and pixel-by-pixel. In any case, they have no intentions of releasing anything until it's completely fixed. I asked about releasing what's been done, I don't care about FMV anyway, and if it crashes there, it can be skipped by pressing the button. I figure what ever they've done, it's a vast improvement over the corrupt version and if they don't intend to do more, to release what's been done. I was told basically not to hold my breath.

Eh? We never said that, Ax.

Lost interest? No.

Want to share? Yes, freely, when it works and will work for everyone. That hasn't changed.

Why mention it? We didn't, this thread keeps getting bumped, I thought I'd do the right thing and put an end to the guess work/speculation/misinformation.

Nobody has moved on and thrown anything away, there are technical brick walls that prevent the project moving forward at this moment in time. Read the thread on Jagware and draw your own conclusion, instead of taking a 3rd parties take on what was written there.

Fair enough. It was quotes "busy or have lost interest" and "not my breath" but if it's just waiting... even if it is for years and years that's totally fine with me. Take your time, just don't throw it away or archive it (aka let it rot until doomsday) :D

• Like 1

While the game is on CD-R it will -never- be completely playable. The game is not ours to produce on pressed CDs. Until a viable hardware solution comes along to prevent the JagCD's crapness coming into play there's no point speaking any further on the subject.

I bumped the conversation this time just to show I had interest in this still.

Saddened to hear you are running into snags, and I am one of those that say that Soul Star for the Jaguar community has been a game that we have got in stages. We were lucky enough to get the working level or two (or the whole game if you got past one part.) That was awesome. Initially we were not even sure Soul Star was even still around.

I would entertain a second stage, one that is MOSTLY done, and understood MOSTLY done, for a few years.

Later when various people gather a bit more knowledge, release a another, and maybe not perfect but more perfected, third stage.

In short, just have it generally understood Soul Star is a work in progress, give Jagware the credit for getting us to that second stage, and one day maybe Jagware can even reach that third stage.

If that is not possible, I could respect it, if nothing else, because you all have released some great games already that has made the Jaguar a blast! :) And lots of coding samples, help on decompiling Bubsy, etc. Great stuff.

So that is my message of encouragement. Reading what you posted and having suggested what I did here, I won't bump this thread again.

• Like 3

There's also the legal issues surrounding this. Unlike other platforms there are still a hand full of f**kn*tz around who would love to use any excuse to try and stir up trouble for us, even to the detriment of the entire Jaguar community. Just because you happened to pay a lot of cash for a beta on ebay, doesn't make it yours to sell. Luckily, they are a dying breed.

Sad, but true.

• Like 5

The bottom line is, thank you for your work and even trying. I hope you guys can work it out one day. Something is better than nothing and I have something with the corrupt version. I'm lucky to have it, and I know how to get past a couple parts to play a good deal of the game (eventually it always crashes even 8-10 levels in). I just hope to play the entire game one day on the Jag, one and/or two player. Please don't get pissed at us in the community becuase we are anxious for it, just take it as encouragement to press on.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1