IGNORED

Why do 7800 consoles sell for so much?

Bill Brasky

I've basically given up on trying to find a deal on a good condition, working 7800 console. I already have almost every 7800 game and I'm planning on selling them all off. I don't bid on ebay 7800 auctions that include a bunch of 2600 games I don't want or 7800 games I already have. I just want a bare console by itself and every fricken auction for a 7800 console blows up to ridiculous levels. No other mainstream, US released console sells for as much. Not the 2600, 5200, CV, Saturn, Jag, PSX, TG-16, NES, SNES, Genesis, 32X, VB, SMS or the N64. The 7800's I try to bid on always end up going for 2 to 4 times what these other consoles typically sell for. Who the hell are all these 7800 fans and where did they come from? It seems like 99% of the gamers you talk to have never heard of or seen a 7800. Where is this demand coming from? Are there any plan to make a Flashback system that is a 7800 reissue? That seems like that would be my only chance to find a cheaper 7800 console. Anyone interested in an extra set of controllers, PS and boxed 7800 games? :x :(

Are there any plan to make a Flashback system that is a 7800 reissue?

943038[/snapback]

If you are interested in the NES-on-a-chip Flashback 1 for just $20.00, that one has 5 7800 games on it (I'd pass on it, though).

I just recently bought a 7800 at a pawn shop for $35.00. That's as cheap as they come unless you go to a garage sale. :)

IMO a 7800 is worth $25 to $40 dollars as long as it is in really good shape and is in full working order. Ebay has them for the $30 to $40 dollar range all the time from my personal experience. I bought a 7800 and about 20 games (15 2600 & 7 7800) with power suply and 4 controllers about 2 months ago for $55 shipped. I think that is a more than reasonable price. Hell I sold the games and recovered the cost of the whole package..lol..

Shawn Sr.

I've watched boxed 7800's go for $60 plus, one after another. That's for just a system, no games. I keep seeing 7800's with several ultra common games go for this. I was watching this one thinking I could get it cheap because it's a bare system without any controllers, games or even a power supply. It's now at $28 and climbing. WTF!? :?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I paid $55 shipped for my 7800, two pro lines, working power supply, and 18 7800 games. Both Activision 7800 titles were in it, and many of the 7800 games were CIB. All of them have manuals.

Later I bought Asteroids CIB for $2. Rampage alone goes for at least $12, figure the rest of 'em are worth maybe $2 each, and shipping was $13.

That means that the console was free!

Actually, if you want a 7800, you may wanna look at some that come with games. If you already have those games, you can simply trade them off or maybe send some in for AA store credit. Throw a $40 bid on it, and if that gets beaten, try again.

I think 7800 games, though, are pretty difficult to find.

There are other used systems that outprice the 7800 excluding the current generation.

N64 with expansion pak, ps, and av cord: $35 and tax.

PSX (7000 series) with controller and two games: $40.

Atari 2600 6 switch woody with joysticks, 4 paddles, and five common games: $40 to $50.

CV with two controllers and 5 games: $60.

NES: $30 to $50.

Bear in mind these are local prices--I haven't looked them up on ebay.

It's now at $28 and climbing. WTF!?  :?

943116[/snapback]

Well, it ended at $27, so I wouldn't say it was at $28 "and climbing"...

$27 is a bit much for a system with zero accessories or games, though.

I paid $43 for mine on Ebay just a few months ago, but mine was boxed, in really good shape with all accessories, and had something like 25 games with it.

I know the mindset where you get it in your head that you just WILL NOT pay more than a certain specific amount for a particular system, even if the difference between your price and the going rate is only a few bucks. I think that's probably where your head is right now. Just be a little more flexible, is all I can say. For a long time I had it in my mind that I'd never pay more than $30 for a 7800 with a box. I ended up having to pay $13 more, but I got a bunch of games too, and honestly, $13 is like, a CD. Or two lunches at McDonalds. I mean, it's not a lot of money. Not enough to really justify going without, anyway.

Edited by spacecadet

I've watched boxed 7800's go for $60 plus, one after another. That's for just a system, no games. I keep seeing 7800's with several ultra common games go for this. I was watching this one thinking I could get it cheap because it's a bare system without any controllers, games or even a power supply. It's now at $28 and climbing. WTF!?  :?

943116[/snapback]

Look for the auctions that end late night, or at odd times. Right now there's tow or three ending in the next day or so that are still under $10.

Not all of them sell for so much boxed and complete...hehe

;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=8216937872

Pics aren't up anymore, but this thing was near mint when it was given to me. Still has the clear plastic over the main faceplate and on the controllers. Has an older style 7800 power supply, but it works just dandy all the same. I still need to test the compatibility of this one to see what it will and won't play 2600 wise, but it seems to be in the same serial number and manufacture range as my '88 bought unit that turned out to be a refurbed 84 model in a new '88 case and packaging.

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-

Hunting for consoles on EBay is not only frustrating, but you never know the quality of what you're getting.

I got my 7800 in a trade with another member on here so I can't comment on price. Before I got it, I lost auction after auction of 7800s.

My theory is that people see that the 7800 can play 2600 games, therefore making them believe that it's worth all that extra money. However, there are very few 7800 games that impress me so I don't see the excuse for all the higher prices.

When I read this, I just don't get it. You see I sold off an extra 7800 console here in the Marketplace section about a year or 2 ago. Originally I hoped to get at least $35 for it, but after sometime past and no offers I reduced my price, I finally sold it for $20 and I had to include a bunch of extra titles just to get that much.

I just picked up my first 7800 (Boxed) and with 9 games for $7 at a yard sale today, I say just keep looking.

944253[/snapback]

People who get lucky always say stuff like this. You got lucky, that's all. If you walk around looking for a boxed 7800 for $7, you're probably gonna be hunting for the rest of your life. I may as well say I'm not gonna buy a house on Long Island for more than $100,000. I mean a seller would have to be an idiot to sell for that price. And true, some sellers are idiots, but not that many, and if they are idiots, it's almost always going in the other direction - asking too much, not too little. And there aren't many people selling 7800's in the first place anymore anyway.

Every year I see fewer 7800's out there. You're probably never gonna be able to get one cheaper than you can now. If you can find one boxed for $25, that's a great deal. But I wouldn't worry about paying a few bucks more than that if that's all that you can get. It's just really not worth aggravating yourself over a few dollars. This isn't a contest to see who can pay the lowest price for a game console. This is about the enjoyment you're going to have once you own that console. Whatever that's worth to you is the price ceiling you should set.

I guess they are worth what you are willing to pay for them, the lady at the yard sale wanted $10 for the system, I wasnt going to pay $10 for it............I all ready have to may other game systems. I offerd $5 she said $7 and so OK. To tell the truth I thought I might have over paid because I have had people give me 2600 consoles for free from time to time.

I don't think you overpaid, Blix. I believe the 7800 is a lot harder to find than a 2600.

Seven bucks is pretty reasonable to be able to play the 65 or so titles for the system.

Also, around here, 2600 and 7800 games go for about $1 each. If you're lucky, you can find games up to rarity 6 at that price.

I haven't found a 7800 in the wild in a long time now. Some of it is because I'm not shopping as often any more, but I'm glad I got 'em when I found 'em.

I wonder how many have been thrown away simply because of lack of the power supply, which is easily fixed by anyone with basic soldering skills.

I just keep getting frustrated at eBay auctions with ridiculous buy-it-now prices! Sure, the 7800 is slightly rarer than the 2600, but $175 for an underdog system with 10 games (5 are usually 2600 titles) is too much. Also, the 7800s seem to have aged worse than the 2600s. I just got mine for $17 ($32 with shipping, no games) and it's pretty grungy (gum in the cart slot!). But somewhere in my skewed value judgement, $40 or less is a decent price for a working Atari unit.

If you still need one, pm me. I think I have a complete 7800 setup here. I know I have 5 or 6 working main units along with a 3 or 4 original joysticks. Only thing I'm not sure I have is an extra power supply but I'm 90% sure I do.

Let me know if you're interested and I'll dig through my extras. ;)