IGNORED

atari 2400

maximebeauvais

quote:

Originally posted by Maxime Beauvais:

I saw this auction today:

I don't know anything about an atari 2400.

Maybe it is just a mistake that atari did????

I have emailed the seller and it is only for the box.

However 30.00 is too much for me...

Judging by the pictures on the box, all of the people depicted have dark hair. The 2400 is either a VCS developed for the Asian or Central American market. Possibly even India. With that said, I have no interest in paying $30 for a foreign-market Atari item. Any Atari crap I buy must be for the domestic U.S. market.

quote:

Originally posted by liquid_sky:

The 2800 was the asian market Atari unit.

Plus, what makes people with dark hair instantly foreign? I have black hair, am I foreign?

It's not just the dark hair. If you look closely at the box, even though the figures are a little blurred, you can tell that the people have a distinctive ethnic look to them. I almost have to say Hispanic, but the pictures are too blurry to really tell. I know that the American version of the Atari boxes always showed a multitude of races and cultures.

quote:

Originally posted by Adrian M:

Any Atari crap I buy must be for the domestic U.S. market.

I've always wondered about this. Why do you limit yourself to just a restricted part of Atari history?

There's an entire world out there of Atari fun, waiting for you to be explored and cherished. The Atari 2600 beauties and weirdness from Brazil and Australia are just overwhelming! If you ask me, you're missing out on some of the greatest Atari-related goodies out there!

Cheers,

Marco

BTW: I don't understand "Will ship to United States only" Ebay sellers either - anyone know what's up with that?

[ 04-18-2002: Message edited by: Marco ]

There's an entire world out there of Atari fun, waiting for you to be explored and cherished. The Atari 2600 beauties and weirdness from Brazil and Australia are just overwhelming! If you ask me, you're missing out on some of the greatest Atari-related goodies out there!

Couldn't agree more!

- Sandy.

I don't know about the US-American boxes, but the pictures on this 2400 box seem to be exactly the same as on the European silver label 2600 box. The game screenshots are different from the ones on my 2600 box though, so it might be a later release.

And neither do all the people on the pictures have dark hair, nor do any of them clearly look hispanic. They could be from many places, maybe even the USA.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

quote:

Originally posted by Marco:

I've always wondered about this. Why do you limit yourself to just a restricted part of Atari history?

Cheers,

Marco

BTW: I don't understand "Will ship to United States only" Ebay sellers either - anyone know what's up with that?

I limit myself to the US market mainly because those are the games I grew up with. Plus, it's hard enough just finding a majority of US releases, so I would rather focus on that market before I go off looking at the foreign market segment that I am not that familiar with.

I did a quick search for the Atari 2400 and found a lot of references to it including some spanish rom download pages. When I searched the usenet groups for atari 2400 again there were a lot of references to it and a lot of people saying it doesn't exist but no one actually saying that it does exist and where it was sold. There was one post for someone that worked for a shipping company and they used to get shipments for Atari distributers and the boxes had []2600 & []2400 checkboxes with a fair number having 2400 checked. Due to the number of pages & posts that state they used to own a 2400 from North America I would have to guess it was a south american/mexican release since back then the influx of stuff from Mexico was greater than the introduction of items from Europe or Asia (I'm talking about items shipped out of the states and brought back in, not items exported from other countries).

Just a thougth

quote:

Originally posted by Adrian M:

I limit myself to the US market mainly because those are the games I grew up with. Plus, it's hard enough just finding a majority of US releases, so I would rather focus on that market before I go off looking at the foreign market segment that I am not that familiar with.

Ah, guess that makes sense. Your statement sounded to firm that I thought you had some kind of antipathy against our lovely PAL games

Cheers,

Marco

what's a bit confusing is that the side flap seems to have atari2600 written on it. i allready mailed it to marco, but since you did all that great research, it looks like this one is authentic.

good luck marco.

(you others: fingers off your mouse)

«Marco and Sandy high five and do the clog dance»  

Clog dance kicks ass

(you others: fingers off your mouse)  

Fish don´t tempt me

Unfortunately I have no room left in my house for another Atari box, and having visited Marco´s huge mansion, I think he should win it

-Sandy

quote:

probably because there isn't much euro-collectors left that want to pay way too much shipping on sellers that just "invent" shipping costs.

i had another mailreply yesterday. "oh yes, sorry. you were right, we can ship it for 10$" and the initial shipping costs were something like 35$ or even more.

nowhere else like in america, sellers have a multitude of different prices. i buy a lot on ebay com at the moment. i bought records: one was 4$ shipping to me by airmail, the next one 5$ by surface, the next one wanted 13$ for surface mail. needless to say that i let the record be sent to usa to a friend. i prefer waiting and grabbing it later within a trade, than throwing away my money that way.

i mean a bit of handling costs is ok, if it's well packed. and i would even pay them ebay fees. but i hate people beeing too creative on shipping costs.

quote:

I can understand this for businesses, because they are expected to report their exports to any other country to the government as exports. To do this they need an export license. They probably just think it would be too much hassle to go through the paperwork.

For individuals though? The answer is this:

FEAR OF THE WORLD.

Hi, I am a novice Atari collector...but I have "postal" experience.Many countries have different postal systems,rates, and restrictions, that some of us would find absurd.American stamps have a way of disappearing.Customs hold packages.Customs charge duties.Mail gets lost and damaged, and there is usually no recourse, insurance or not.Airmail can take a month or more,no apparent reason.That's why people dont want to ship overseas.Usually, once it leaves your country's borders,its out of ANYONES hands.

quote:

Originally posted by The Piper:

That's why people dont want to ship overseas.Usually, once it leaves your country's borders,its out of ANYONES hands.

check the travelfish_de feedback, i did tons of positive transactions in usa, brasil, australia, austria, netherlands, france, england, italy, denmark, canada, and sweden. and lost shipments are absolutely rare.

the us post is still cheaper than most europen posts, so for just two dollars you can get a reciep that it arrived, in case you're unsure. because more often than getting lost, the buyer might have tried to rip you off and lied.

my only bigger shipment that got lost in the last year was from a seller who contacted me to tell me that he got 5 packages that got lost in the mail and one was probably mine. by that time, i still has two weeks before my package was supposed to arrive.

he was right though

but we resolved the problem. (thanx again if you read this)

• 21 years later...

I'm 50. The atari 2400 did exist.  I had one, and if I remember correctly it had a 2400 sticker on the console.  My friend down the street waited a year and he had the atari 2600. The 2400 didn't make as many games and there really wasn't much of a difference between them,  but,  I do remember trying to bring one of my cartridges to his house and it didn't fit or work.  My parents probably would have purchased this at a Radio Shack back then.  It didn't last long at all,  probably a few months to a year and then everything was atari 2600.

• 3 weeks later...