IGNORED

Final Hours - Intellivision PlayCable Modem

Goblin

I recently found a PlayCable unit. At the time I picked it up I knew it was rare, but was not prepared for how rare it really is. The Digital Press guide lists it as 10.

Unfortunately I do not collect Intellivision items, so I have put this up on eBay.

If you are looking for one to complete your collection, don't miss this opportunity. Make sure to bid early and often. Make sure to bid both early and often. There is a reserve, but after talking to a number of people, I think it is very fair.

----edited----

The original link is acting real strange when it gets launched from this forum. For some reason it jumps to the German ebay site, not the US one where it is actually posted for sale.

I made a tiny url out of it so, s try following the link here:

http://tinyurl.com/c9geb

or else go to ebay.com and search on playcable.

-----edit-----

About 24 hours left and the reserve has finally been met.

Edited by Goblin

Cool item. I wonder if anyone ever measured how long the INTV setup will be if you daisy-chain all the expansion units. Console + computer add-on + intellivoice + this Playcable modem (is there anything else?). I guess you will have to widest game console ever :D

The keyboard (music) pictured here is 30" long so judging by the width of that with the pic I took with the play cable adapter + the master component + the intellivoice module + the computer module + the atari 2600 system changer ... I'd guess right at four feet long.

longness.jpg

Edited by dgob123

I wonder if there is a way to convert these into a Cuttle Cart type device to make them useful again.

945978[/snapback]

from http://gamefreaks365.com/modules.php?name=...showpage&pid=56

Kyle: The PlayCable, which was marketed with Jerrold, a cable provider, was discontinued in 1983. It allowed Intellivision owners to plug an adapter into their system and play select Intellivision titles. Why was it discontinued and was it attributed to the $10 monthly charges?

Keith: The deal came about because Jerrold was owned by General Instruments, which manufactured the microprocessor and other chips in the Intellivision. There were two problems that led to discontinuing the PlayCable: first, the memory was limited. In 1982 and 1983, Intellivision games were growing in size by leaps and bounds. From 4K to 6K to 8 to 12 to 16. PlayCable couldn't handle more than, I think, a 6K game.

Also, a couple guys discovered how to turn a PlayCable into an Intellivision development station. They reverse-engineered the system and learned how to program games, then essentially blackmailed Mattel into hiring them or they would sell their knowledge and services to the highest bidder. Mattel wasn't happy and wanted PlayCable recalled before boutique Intellivision publishers popped up across the country. I never heard how the price or popularity of PlayCable played into the decision to kill it, although we can assume if it were a tremendous success the memory and reverse-engineering problems would have been overcome to keep it on the market.

It's gone already?

Tempest

No it closes next Monday night. Something is screwy with the link I originally posted it launched the german site, not the us. I've got no clue why. Any way follow this link to be redirected to the auction:

http://tinyurl.com/c9geb

Actually this link is not the original link. See above.

Mattel wasn't happy and wanted PlayCable recalled before boutique Intellivision publishers popped up across the country.

946600[/snapback]

That would have actually been a good thing for the Intellivision, and piracy wouldn't have been that bad if it only supported 6K. This reminds me of the similar thread regarding a 'what if' scenario about cracking the Supercharger format back in the day.

I actually considered briefly keeping it, cracking it open and seeing what kind of reverse engineering I could do. Then I came to my senses and figured it's worth more in it's current condition. If I ever got the urge to play around, I'd try and hunt down an intellicart.

I actually considered briefly keeping it, cracking it open and seeing what kind of reverse engineering I could do.  Then I came to my senses and figured it's worth more in it's current condition.  If I ever got the urge to play around, I'd try and hunt down an intellicart.

947385[/snapback]

Reseve has almost been met, just a few more $$$....