IGNORED

Gameshark Type of Device

LamontCranston

Correct me if I am wrong, since I've never actually owned a GameShark device/cartridge, but aren't they simply devices to allow activation of in-game cheats? The way I see it, this is not needed since cheat codes for the vast majority of Jaguar games already exist for free, to activate any and all cheats that exist in Jaguar games. There are several places on the net to download a complete list, including the most up-to-date version which I think is still on Jaguar Sector 2 forum.

There are cheats in Gamesharks or Game Genies etc that activate those in game cheats but there more valuable for their manipulation of games. You can get a lot more cheats for a game that aren't really supposed to exisit or that aren't intended for a game. If you load too many cheats at once it can freeze a game, but you can do a lot of stuff you normally couldn't do. Like in GTA u can drive through walls etc. It'd be nice to have an unlimited health cheat for some of these games or a infinite ammo cheat etc. But whatever, I'm gussing from the response there is no project like that underway so their probably won't be for a while. What about that portable jag or any other projects?

The original device that stood behind GameSharks and Game Genies was Action Replay - on some platforms like GB it allowed you also to modify game that was loaded into memory. This was important ability considering it was also able to identify difference in memory during game play so it was possible to find simple counters like lives, energy etc. so with a bit of work you could find your own cheat code if there wasn't one in the game itself.

In case of Jag I don't think we will see anything like this with exception of emulators. It wouldn't be easy to do it considering that some code might be run by 68000 and other parts are for GPU/DSP for example.

I forgot: some of this funcionality is already implemented in BJL and Alpine but you need game image first.

Edited by Alex Czarnowski