IGNORED

My second Homebrew "Bobby needs Food" finished

belial

Hi,

i finished my second homebrew game today. Its called "Bobby needs Food". Bobby is now at home, but he is very hungry. So he takes his rifle and hunts some birds for lunch. ;) The player has to aim and shot the birds flying around.

The game is playable via Lightgun or Joystick, but it was thought as a lightgun game. Each round is about 2 minutes and is represented by a sinking sun. When its dusk, the round is over. The shotgun has to be connected to P2 port and the joystick to P1.

The sources were created using the linux texteditor KATE. This may cause some problems with a windows version of dasm, becoz linux handles the beginning of a new line on a different way than windows.

Enough said, have fun with the game.

bnf10.zip

• Like 1

An interesting twist to this game might be to have different colored birds that fly across the screen; A (changing) colored sign at the bottom of the screen could indicate which color of bird is in season. For each bird that you shoot that is in season, you get points, you lose when you shoot a bird out of season (ie Your hunting license is taken away). It might be cool if your ammunition was limited each round.

Great work, BTW! It's great to see the very first lightgun homebrew! I'll download the ROM onto my Krokocart later and test it out with a lightgun on real hardware! 8)

Edited by mojofltr

I like the idea with the seasons. I think it would make the game much more interesting. Really good idea. :) I was thinking about ammunition too, but when implementing ammunition, there has to be a possibilty for reloading the gun. And the atari has only one fire button, which is already used for shooting.

Edited by belial

I like the idea with the seasons. I think it would the game much more interesting. Really good idea. :) I was thinking about ammunition too, but when implementing ammunition, there has to be a possibilty for reloading the gun. And the atari has only one fire button, which is already used for shooting.

947194[/snapback]

A lot of light-guns I've played have you shoot offscreen to reload. Could try that. Or shoot a reload "button" onscreen to reload.

A lot of light-guns I've played have you shoot offscreen to reload. Could try that. Or shoot a reload "button" onscreen to reload.

That would work, or here are a couple of other ideas:

When you run out of ammunition, the round could be over. Depending on whether your shot enough birds to qualify could determine whether you move to the next round - fully loaded... like Duck Hunt. ;) [edit] Actually, now I think of it, Duck Hunt gives you three shots and you shoot one or two ducks at a time. :dunce: I forgot. :D

Or (and this may sound hokey), but as you play, perhaps an ammunition sprite could be in with the mix of birds. Shooting the sprite reloads.

Edited by mojofltr

Okay, after reading all this, here are the things i will implement in version 1.1:

- Seasons. Each Birds has a special color. The season itself is represented by the color of the aiming cross. You lose score when shooting a bird which hasnt the color of ur aiming cross.

- Ammunition. I think i will remove the first bird and instead show a amunition box. When its empty, u cant shoot anymore. U have to shoot on this box to reload ur ammunition.

Edited by belial

Fun game, and what, only the second game to support a light gun? (Not including the Shootin' Gallery proto)

Nice job. At what point does the game end though? The game doesn't seem to penalize you for shooting the wrong colour birds and there doesn't seem to be a time limit; is there a total number you have to shoot to win or something?

Hi, i just tested it. Here it removes me one scorepoint when shooting the wrong bird theres no negative score, when u have 0, u keep zero, even for shooting wrong birds). It has a time limit, maybe 2 or 3 minutes. Its represented by sinking sun. The round ends when its dusk. There is no special "goal", u have to get a high score, thats all. :) When i round is over, u can hit reset to start a new one.

Edited by belial
  • Like 1

• 14 years later...
  • 9 months later...
On 9/12/2020 at 3:28 AM, belial said:

Yes, Sega Lightgun with a simple adapter which inverts a pin (when I remember correctly) to match the Atari lightgun layout works (I am using Sega lightgun too)

Do you have a wiring diagram for that adapter?  I'd like to try making one.  Thanks!