IGNORED

Yoshi's Hybrid Boxx

Albert

http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/superge...3381725,00.htmlYoshi DeHerrera of TechTV's The Screen Savers has put together a hybrid PC and game console system with the following systems installed: Atari 2600, Nintendo Entertainment System (NES), Microsoft Xbox, Nintendo GameCube, Sony Playstation 2, and a custom PC. The systems are all crammed into an aluminum Lian-Li PC-76 case, with all the necessary ports, cartridge connectors and optical drives exposed for easy access. Detailed information about this project as well as pictures of the assembled box can be viewed here. You can also read more about this hybrid machine on Slashdot.org.

quote:

Originally posted by Jun Kazama:

damn i want one of those!

It's interesting, but I think I'd rather have a rack mount full of individual systems. Each system would be self contained, with all the ports in the front, just like the 2600 rack mount unit that we recently posted news about. As new systems come out, you could add new blades. This is something I'll probably seriously consider working on down the road.

..Al

I think it would have been better to put the big three one o the moment in a smaller tower (XBOX-GC-PS2) and maybe adding a Dreamcast as well - 4 CD driven consoles in one box would have been really cool.

And to have made another tower with more cartridges based systems inside and better integrated , i.e front inserting cartridges.

I hate the 2600 Jr only stuffed in Yoshi's box (it looks like "just to tell there is an Atari 2600 in it")

But Yoshi has made a good job and it has probably taken some times to (sure )

I went thru the instructions and I am curious to how he supplies power to different systems and how they are connected. Are the different systems powered by their DC Adapters and simply plugged into a power strip?

How are they connected, to a TV or PC monitor? Are the RF switch boxes all dasiey-chained together, if so the output would be horriable.

I think the idea is good, but the end result isn't great. Take the controllers for instance, who could play a decent game with the controllers made into the drive bays? Certainly not me.

Of course as someone pointed out the various cartridge ports are scattered all over the case.

I am just curious how the Yoshi Boxx is actually connected and used, or does it actually work?

I agree, the rack mount would be the way to go. Perhaps someone could design a rack mount that has interchangable racks. Many of the older systems could easily have simply items built for them to use the mount without having to take them apart or alter them at all. Like a simple ribbion connector that pushes into the Atari 2600 cartridge port that mounts to the rack with a cartridge port on the other end.