IGNORED

Oh, no, looks like a video game crash is immenent

There is not one mention of the word "crash" in that document yet you made a deceiving topic title.

948253[/snapback]

Spielberg + HSW + Atari 2600 = crash

Spielberg has returned to open the Ark and melt the faces of gamers once again. The end is near. :lol:

And I think they misspelled his name in the title: "Speilberg will develop games for Electronic Arts."

EA got the rights to Spielberg games locked up. That's the most unimportant thing to lock up ever. This is further proof that EA would rather sell you a name than a game. Now, I'm not saying that a name and a game can't be good (some Star Wars games are good, Madden is good, Mario is often good, etc.), but they're getting sole rights to distribute one particular brand before it even enters the market. Maybe all of his games will blow. Maybe he won't have any good gaming ideas at all. It doesn't matter, because they paid for the sole right to splash his name on their cases. My guess is they're going for Stephen King next.

Hmm...I'm sure what to think about this.

Personally, I don't think Spielburg's ideas suck. I personally loved "The Dig" and thought it to be, and still do consider it to be one of the best overall adverture games I have ever played.

I also think that Raiders on the 2600 is pretty damn good overall for the time it was released, and the hardware it was released on. Way more playable than any of the swordquest games, and to me just as much fun to pop in and play as Adventure is any day. I also occasionally enjoy ET on the 2600 from time to time. I haven't played the latter ET games that came out for the GBA etc. But they didn't do well review wise.

Personally, I wish that ole Steve had gone with another publisher like Ubisoft or even Vivendi Universal or heck...even....Atari.

I hope this means a sequal to "The Dig" might actually be created, or perhaps some other excellent titles. Spielburg makes an excellent point at the end of that article in that he feels more film makers should play more video games.

To me this just looks like EA using Steven Speilberg's name as a way to print even more money than they are right now. My guess is that he'll come in, talk to some of EA's "creative staff" :lol: and then go over the finished product to fine tune the story.

I really don't think that Speilberg is all that creative anymore. The last good movie he directed was "Catch Me If You Can" and that was in 2002. The last movie he wrote a screenplay for was "Artificial Intelligence: AI" and IMO that was a dog.

This is just an alliance to make money, pure and simple. Nothing bold or new will come out of this.

To me this just looks like EA using Steven Speilberg's name as a way to print even more money than they are right now. My guess is that he'll come in, talk to some of EA's "creative staff" :lol: and then go over the finished product to fine tune the story.

I really don't think that Speilberg is all that creative anymore. The last good movie he directed was "Catch Me If You Can" and that was in 2002. The last movie he wrote a screenplay for was "Artificial Intelligence: AI" and IMO that was a dog.

This is just an alliance to make money, pure and simple. Nothing bold or new will come out of this.

948330[/snapback]

Didn't he just brush up one of Kubrick's unfinished screenplays for AI?

Spielberg should have gone with someone besides EA. EA seems to have gone downhill since they acquired Virgin, taking Virgin/Westwood with them.

There are a bunch of good companies--Poly Digital, Rare, Activision, name some more...

Of course, he could have been loyal to Sega.

Ever the gamer himself, Spielberg's was the only best time entry I could not beat on Scud Race when I visited Seattle Gameworks.

Spielberg should have gone with someone besides EA.

Dude, EA takes over everything, like Spielberg does. Makes a perfect match.

Ahahah yes a crash is now immenant. As mentioned before, Spielberg + HSW + 2600 = Crash.

History repeats itself, and looks like it will :rolling:

The worst torture ever inflicted on a gamer is to strap them down and force them to play EA titles.

Makes 7800 Karateka seems like a welcome relief.

I used to play a Westwood title. During the game's online run, EA bought the company that made it and really trashed the thing. I was head over heels into it--on their message boards, playing online, etc.

I told everyone on that board exactly what I thought of EA. It was deleted eventually.

EA messed up this game so bad (with a single patch) that some of the fans had to send in their computers to prove something was wrong.

Old Westwood staff (Chris aka Delphi and co) got hold of the customers' machines and set 'em up in the test lab.

The fans got new games and video cards sent back with their PC's.

This would not have happened if EA had dealt with them--I think the fans would have lost their PC's.

I do not like Electronic Arts after this fiasco.

Ahahah yes a crash is now immenant. As mentioned before, Spielberg + HSW + 2600 = Crash.

History repeats itself, and looks like it will  :rolling:

948675[/snapback]

Well, two of those three elements are back. ;-)

948868[/snapback]

Just as long as Spielberg had nothing to do with the Flashback 2, I think we'll be OK.