IGNORED

What's the rarest cart you ever found in the wild?

Bob Mackey

For me, it was the Panda game Scuba Diver (which has been listed with a rarity of 6.)

I cannot describe how bad that game is, but I'll try anyway. The most difficult part of the game is the stepping out of the boat without being eaten, which is how the game begins! If you do manage to destroy all the fish, you can then get just about all the points you want just shooting a fish as it comes up from the bottom of screen. There's no reason to even bother trying to get your way down to the sunken treasure screen; you simply can't get enough points for the risk.

However, it is well worth the $2 I paid for it just to have around. (It's not the worst 2600 game I own, though. That award would have to go to the Froggo game Sea Hawk.)

Anyhow, I know I've heard of some extraordinary finds before. I'd like to hear how big the fish were that you've caught all on your own...

Miner 2049er Volume II (PAL) complete. Very Rare, I have seen more NTSC version on ebay as PAL. I Paid 5,-DM (ca. US$ 2.50).

Spider Kong with only a white sticker and a number 83414. Maybe a Prototype?

I paid 2,-DM (ca. US$ 1).

And last a Black Atari 2600 Jr. console. Paid only 10,-DM (ca. US$ 5) with some games.

My best finds in the wild

2600: X-Man ($2), Mangia'($2), 50 new-in-box Yoko Game Copiers

My best classic videogame find of all time though probably is the lot of Videopac (Odyssey 2) EPROMs I found, containing a handful of (at that time) never seen or heard of games. I also once found a complete library of (albeit loose) Videopac games (#1-#60).

Cheers,

Marco

[ 04-18-2002: Message edited by: Marco ]

Best Atari 2600 find I have had was my loose Track N' Field for .99 cents.

Best NES find was getting my Tengen Tetris for 6.99 at Funco...hehe gotta love one title pricing.

Best 5200 find was my NIB Zone Ranger for $2.00 (picture label cart scan courtesy of that find).

Best 7800 find was picking up Commando loose for $2. And also grabbing loose excellent shape carts of Ikari Warriors and Xenophobe from Ebay with $3.50 BIN on them...

Best Genesis finds are numerous and since the rarity differs from individual to individual I will say that my best Genesis finds have been my CIB Gunstar Heroes for $2.99 and my Shining Force 2 loose for $4.99, However, I did just pick up a Mint CIB of Virtual Racing for the Genesis. It however, will never be played as I have a 32x and the 32x version is superior. Still that Virtua Racing was only $2.99.

2600: Chase the Chuckwagon $3

5200: 2 K-Razy Shootouts boxed $4 (both in the same spot)

7800: Mario Bros. $3

Intellivision: ECS unit (boxed) $5, Super Pro Decathlon (boxed), BodySlam Pro Wrestling (boxed) $5

Colecovision: Zenji, Mr. Do's Castle, SW: Arcade Game $3

Others: TurboDuo unit with 20 games for $20,

Tempest

Well...if you don't count Track N' Field as a rare find...then I guess I haven't got any rare 2600 finds. I don't have the controller...so that also niches it down a bit.

I too have found an NES MicroMachines...but it was in very used shape as it was a prior rental cart...but I did get the box for it. No instructions...and the cart had been modified. Apparently the rental place that owned it...had the switch on the back removed and took a SMB cart or something equally common and then soldered the lockout chip from that to my MicroMachines cart's PCB making the switch not needed.

Still...it was only 5.99 and very decent game to boot!

Lemmi can vouch that I found him a Big Nose cart for $13 at my local Funco...Higher than I would have paid...but when you need them...you need them...ehh?

mine was bounty bob for the 800xl.

after buying a 2600 set (15 carts-6 switch-4 sticks) for 36$ (including miners2 i was hunting by that time, and just had ended on ebay.de for 35$). while i had packed everything and wanted to leave he said "oh wait, i have a bunch of carts that are not working". it was just because they were for another system.

for 800 xl carts cashed me 4 times more than i payed for the 2600 set

that was my bira bira day. i should celebrate this every year!

Great thread!

Our best 2600 finds were Marine Wars and Marauder with a garage sale lot and a sears Telegames II (the 2800 one) for $10.

My favorite find was Spaidder Fight and Seea Gueeast for 88 cents each.

The very best find was a 5200 lot for $35 that included 6 loaner carts and a ton of other stuff, including a 4 port 5200 that actually worked. My wife found it at a garage sale, bought it and drove over to where I work to show me.

-Chuck