IGNORED

Best Defender home conversion

vdub_bobby

I like these threads, so I figured I'd start another one:

Which home conversion is the best?

I'll post as many screenshots of the various versions as I can find; please post additional screenshots if you have 'em.

2600, 5200, Identical (?) Atari 8bit:

post-6060-1129837677_thumb.pngpost-6060-1129837799_thumb.pngpost-6060-1129838946_thumb.png

Jaguar, C64, Vectrex Protector (Defender clone by Alex Herbert, see www.herbs64.com):

post-6060-1129837921_thumb.jpgpost-6060-1129838168_thumb.pngpost-6060-1129838645_thumb.jpg

Intellivision, Colecovision, GBA (licensed):

post-6060-1129838824_thumb.jpgpost-6060-1129839627_thumb.pngpost-6060-1129839991_thumb.jpg

SNES, Genesis:

post-6060-1129846381_thumb.jpgpost-6060-1129847857_thumb.jpg

Edited by vdub_bobby

I vote for the A8 version, myself.

I think there is a GBC port, but I can't find a screenshot of it.

I imagine there were Apple II, ST (?), Amiga, and PC versions as well...

But no NES version? I own Defender II for NES, but I don't think there was a Genesis, SNES, or NES version of Defender. Anybody know about the Saturn, TG-16, or any other versions?

Okay, what is with this bias against the Apple II? The Battlezone thread conveniently forgets about it, and now the Defender thread does as well!

Whoever asks which system has the best Mario Bros. port better not forget the Apple II, because that one just might get my vote!

Anyway, my Defender vote splits between the SNES and Genesis versions.

Edit: Curse you, vdub_bobby! Three minutes late to the punch, and the thunder of my righteous Apple indignation is stolen out from under me. Hmph.

Okay, I'm going back to work now...

Edited by skunkworx

My favorite of those is the CV version with the 5200 a close 2nd. Most of the time I use my Pelican arcade stick and play Defender on Midway Arcadre Treasures on my GC. Since getting that, I don't play the cart versions very often anymore.

Edited by joeybastard

I haven't played that many of them, but I'd have to say that, excluding the version on Midway Arcade Treasures (which of course is dead on), I think the 5200 version is best.

Of course, the only one out of all of them that I am not completely TERRIBLE at is the 2600 version. As a kid I once played a single game of 2600 Defender for 6 straight hours, until I finally decided to kill off all of my extra lives so I could go have dinner. (That process in itself took almost a half hour, and I got a few more extra lives along the way from the points I earned crashing into enemy ships!)

Edited by Room 34

But no NES version?  I own Defender II for NES, but I don't think there was a Genesis, SNES, or NES version of Defender.  Anybody know about the Saturn, TG-16, or any other versions?

Defender is on Williams' Arcades Greatest for both the Super NES and Genesis, along with its sequel Stargate (retitled Defender II in the collection).

Defender II is the only version that exists for the NES, AFAIK, and it's more like Defender than its sequel Stargate, although it does have the sequel's stargate for warping to other parts of the planet. The thing I don't like about NES Defender II is that you get a rather limited number of smart bombs that never get replenished or added onto with the earning of extra lives -- the same problem that also existed for the Defender/Joust combo cart released for the original Gameboy and (I think also) the Gameboy Color.

There is also a version for the TI-99/4A. The gameplay of that port is decent, but the scrolling is very herky-jerky. The VIC-20 also got a port. I'm curious to know how that one plays. I think the best version is the CV port. However, I haven't played it extensively. When I need a Defender fix, I play 2600 Stargate.

Edited by Christophero Sly

Hey funny.. I just went to the local pub and scored 70k in Defender today.

None of the classic ports are perfect. Defender is fast and fluid.. and butt hard. Not to mention the control scheme. And the home ports on the classic consoles just really couldn't handle it.

But to me, I guess the one that captures the spirit and the sounds the best is the 5200/8bit version. You have to jack up the difficulty to get it close though. And sometimes the flicker is too much for you to figure when there's a lot going on in the screen and you end up getting hit with a bullet you couldn't see. But still, I think it's a great port :)

(And yes skunkworx I had the Apple II version) :P

just to be different i'll go with vectrex protector, the guy did a hell of a job on that! last time i checked you could get it and space invaders on a homebrew cart for about $15, thats a steal. the control scheme is well suited to the vectrex so its got that going for it, fast gameplay and good sound too. too bad they didnt add a horizontal mode where you could just lay the vec on its side and play widescreen.

And sometimes the flicker is too much for you to figure when there's a lot going on in the screen and you end up getting hit with a bullet you couldn't see.

Yeah, that's the one big problem with it... when there's a bunch of exploding debris flying everywhere, it's almost impossible to distinguish that from bullets heading your way.

My vote goes for Stargate/Defender II on the Atari 2600. I know Stargate and Defender are different games, but hell, they're basically the same. The 2600 version of Stargate was an excellent port of the game, and never seems to get the recognition that I think it deserves.

--Zero

Actually the 2600 was my favorite because it changed Defender from a massively complicated monster that gave me about ten seconds for my quarter, to an enjoyable game. At least for me. I know some people love Defender and it got super high ratings at the time and all that. But I didn't like it because the controls were so difficult to master.

Of course, I also voted for the Intellivision as the suckiest classic system for the same reason. Simplicity is my bag...much like Winny the Poo.

Speaking of poo, nice pic Remo. :twisted:

None of the classic ports are perfect. Defender is fast and fluid.. and butt hard. Not to mention the control scheme. And the home ports on the classic consoles just really couldn't handle it.

That's why I end up playing on MAT with my Pelican stick. I can set up the control scheme to be pretty much exactly like the arcade. It's just not Defender without lots of buttons to press.

5200 version. Even though it's a little too easy.

On a related (sort of) note:

Ever notice how sucky NES Defender II is? I mean, it would be fun if it weren't supossed to be the real Defender II. You cant even blow up your own men down on the planet. The game looks good, but it just isn't right...

Edited by Lord Helmet