IGNORED

Best Defender home conversion

vdub_bobby

I like the Jaguar Classic version the best, even over the arcade. Perfect control and graphics to match.

The 8-bit/5200 version seems a bit jerky animation wise to me. The CV is pretty good. Stargate/Defender II for the 2600 is good, but it feels limited compared to the others. (I like the BIG explosion of your ship!)

Me and a friend used to play the crap out of defender on his Atari 400. I'd go with the atari 8-bit version as best overall.

Apple II version plays ok, but is visually lacking as it only has 8 colors and that includes two whites and two blacks so you do the math. Here's screen shot.

post-7533-1130035495_thumb.jpg

Going strictly with conversion accuracy (and I'm not counting emulations here), the Genesis version (on Williams Arcade's Greatest Hits) is the closest of the ones that I've played. I haven't played the SNES version, so I can't comment on that one. If I recall correctly, both of these versions were translated from the original code.

The Jaguar version (on Defender 2000) gets an honorable mention, as Jeff Minter made a few changes (with Eugene Jarvis's approval) to increase the number of onscreen enemies and provide a more gradual difficulty curve. It's not quite as "accurate" as the Genesis (and presumably SNES) for those reasons and a few others (such as the fonts), but it's still really good.

5200 version. I remember being blown away by it when it came out. That was the "in your face" game to all the gaming magazines at the time that made the Colecovision out to be the end-all game machine.

That said though, the CV version is great and a damn close second. Graphicially they are different but both rock. The difference is the control. Its impossible to reach over and hit that damn 2nd button on the CV for the smart bomb. Take away the squishiness of the fire buttons the 5200 version is perfectly suited for the controller.

I'd rank the A8 version on the bottom. Graphicially its identical to the 5200, but having to reach for the keyboard for hyperspace and the smart bombs make it totally unplayable.

Edited by jetset

I'd rank the A8 version on the bottom. Graphicially its identical to the 5200, but having to reach for the keyboard for hyperspace and the smart bombs make it totally unplayable.

953238[/snapback]

99/4a version's the same way.

I think I remember setting my comp on the floor once and hitting smart bomb and hyperspace with my foot(space bombs, anything else 'spaces, so precision's not required).

Of course, having to FIND a workaround like putting your semlly foot on the keyboard only serves to demonstrate the issues present in the setup.

I remember playing a clone of Defender on the Apple II which was much better than the licensed version.  Can't remember the name though.

953290[/snapback]

I think you might be thinking of Gorgon. It looks like they used Ultima characters instead of the normal Defender graphics. IMO its not as good as the real Defender as it plays too slow.

Here's pic of Gorgon..

post-7533-1130367481_thumb.jpg

I remember playing a clone of Defender on the Apple II which was much better than the licensed version.  Can't remember the name though.

953290[/snapback]

I think you might be thinking of Gorgon. It looks like they used Ultima characters instead of the normal Defender graphics. IMO its not as good as the real Defender as it plays too slow.

Here's pic of Gorgon..

954899[/snapback]

Is that the one where there's a sequence where you dock with a Star Trek Technical Manual Federation Dreadnaught?