IGNORED

Which Classic Video Game System Sucks the Most

gamesnat

We always discuss which video game systems are our favs, but we never touch on which VGS is your least favorite and why?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. We always discuss which video game systems are our favs, but we never touch on which VGS is your least favorite and why?

• Atari 2600
    • Atari 5200
    • Atari 7800
    • Arcadia 2001
    • Channel F
    • ColecoVision
    • Intellivision
    • Nintendo (NES)
    • Odyssey 2
    • RCA Studio 2
    • Sega Master System
    • TurboGrafx 16
    • Vectrex
    • Bally Astrocade
    • Sega Genesis
    • Super Nintendo
    • Virtual Boy
    • Commodore 64
    • TI-994A
    • Atari Lynx

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

You can't judge a system on two titles. WonderBoy, Sonic, Golden Axe Warrior, OutRun, Shinobi, Castle of Illusion, Rambo, Donald Duck, Penguin Land, and Bubble Bobble were all great and there were a lot more as well. That would be like saying the Turbografx was bad because of Keith Courage. Even some of the catologue fillers were good on the SMS.

I don't have seen any of these titles you mention, I'll give them a try.

Maybe them could change my opinion about SMS. Thanks.

I see RCA Studio 2 on the list and that makes me sad. We have the right members to easily make our own improved version cheaply (and correct some of its flaws).

Virtual Boy is literally painful. Painful because of its potential as a 3D gaming machine and painful due to the eyestrain and awkward viewing position.

• Sad 1

Actually, it sounds like a good idea... Making a retro game machine, putting together all the best pieces of the 8 bits era ( a Z80 or 6502 based machine, with a POKEY sound chip (maybe with a good old AY-3-8912 to provide more variety), 128Ko of RAM, a MOS 8563 video chip or any equivalent of the late 8 bits era.

Or, yeah, making a cheap machine with huge limitations could be fun, too. Seeing how much one can pull from a system that could have been made in 1976, 1977, 1978 using standard component so you don't have to learn to program on Signetics or Fairchild chips.

But even improving a machine, like with the Super Game Module for the Colecovision, is making a NEW machine.

If you add color to the RCA II, if you add RAM, if you add anything... It's NOT an RCA II anymore.

Yeah. Many machines missed maybe ONE thing, that one thing that MAY have pulled it out from being ordinary or crap to being awesome. But you can't change the past, only the present.

The RCA II is what it is, and no matter how much you like or hate the machine, it won't change this fact.

It's still interesting to see what it could have been, tho ;)

Actually, it sounds like a good idea... Making a retro game machine, putting together all the best pieces of the 8 bits era ( a Z80 or 6502 based machine, with a POKEY sound chip (maybe with a good old AY-3-8912 to provide more variety), 128Ko of RAM, a MOS 8563 video chip or any equivalent of the late 8 bits era.

The answer to that is ALMOST the UzeBox: http://uzebox.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

The problem is the UzeBox people don't consider pre-assembled (and soldered) units and higher level languages a priority.

The answer to that is ALMOST the UzeBox: http://uzebox.org/wi...title=Main_Page

The problem is the UzeBox people don't consider pre-assembled (and soldered) units and higher level languages a priority.

Wouldn't a Multi Classic Computer or FPGA Arcade Replay be capable of this?

Or for that matter a DE1 FPGA development board... seeing as how I've already seen old machines with add on hardware or faster speeds I think it would just require someone actually finishing a project instead of just getting it running.

• 6 years later...
On 6/21/2013 at 3:12 AM, BassGuitari said:

As for the Arcadia 2001, my only real gripe was sound. It ranges from generally poor to downright obnoxious. I can't tell if that's due to hardware limitations or poor/lazy programming, but I have my suspicions that it's the latter. Graphically, the games don't look too bad and fall somewhere between the 2600 and Intellivision (which, of course, is a problem for a console that was released around the same time as the Atari 5200 and Colecovision). They're probably comparable to something like the APF MP1000. I played some Space Invaders knockoff at MGC that was mildly entertaining. The Berzerk clone was alright, except for the sound. There are other games with titles like "Hobo" and "The End," which are usually at least interesting, if not actually very good. Most Arcadia 2001 games seem to take the Odyssey 2/Color Computer approach in that they're often knockoffs of popular games with their own twists.

A pretty good review.   Copy cating seemed to be the name of the game for the Arcadia 2001.  It is this weird mesh of retro things.  It is like when you watch a TV show or movie and they have this non-descript game system that LOOKS like popular game systems, playing something that LOOKS like popular games, but just enough difference.   The cartridge art rips off things from sci-fi shows (both Star Wars and Battlestar Galactica).   The games rip off popular games, but the variance is interesting.

Take for example Space Raiders.  Looks like a Defender clone, but... had an energy limit added so you have to fuel up at the enemy station?   Now that is interesting.   Fun?   Well, haven't played it enough, but at least interesting.

On 6/22/2013 at 8:22 AM, nanochess said:

My vote was for the Sega Master System, for some reason all the games I've seen look pretty bad developed, graphics with bad contrast in colors, the sound is specially ugly, even Colecovision games have better sound (and them use same chip!)

So at this date I have only the integrated game (Hang On, I don't find it fun) and one cartridge Spiderman (boooring,) and I don't have plans to buy another game.

Some nice looking and sounding games to try include Phantasy Star, Miracle Warriors, Lord of the Sword, Golvelius, Ultima IV, Kenseiden and Wonnderboy III.

• Like 1

Yeah you're playing some of the lowliest of the SMS bottom dwellers there.  That list above, good start, also would throw a nod to a few more Aerial Assault, Columns, Streets of Rage 1/2, Sonic 1/2, Master of Darkness (castlevania clone), Alex Kidd and Alex Kidd in Shinobi World, Golden Axe Warrior (zelda 1 clone), and there are others.  I find I have more faith and care for that than the Genesis when it came to games. :)